Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Another leak

After my previous post I decided to look around the trailer for more leaks. I found one behind the gaucho, the floor was pretty damp, I think it is coming in from a separated seam from the bottom of the trailer. I don't think that it is directly from the rain but more so from driving home in a really good pacific nw rainstorm and the splashing from my pickup's tires force feeding water into it as I drove home. It looks like there was an aluminum caulk used. Is this what I need to reseal it or is there a better product I should apply here?
Also, do I have to now open the wall up to dry it out or with a heater hitting the area for several days be enough?
I am thinking I better find covered storage pronto as the forecast is for 180 days of rain.
I may have to change my id on this forum to Dr. Leaky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130-3015_IMG.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	49494   Click image for larger version

Name:	130-3016_IMG.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	49495  

SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
There is a lot of movement in the front of our trailers and many have a failure at the body to frame joint. I would remove the trim where you suspect the leak, see what damage there is and correct and reinstall using a polysulfide caulking that can be obtained from your local marine store. This caulking remains flexible and is weather proof. You may be surprised when you remove the trim.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Before going through the work of removing the trim, I would take a hose to narrow down where the leak is coming from. It could be coming from behind the blue trim on the rub-rail (which has rivets all behind it), or from somewhere above that. Start at the bottom & work your way up. First have your floor relatively dry. Place a papertowel on the floor in the area that you have seen dampness. This will show you the water pretty quickly after you start hosing down one area at a time (hold the hose in each area for at least 2 minutes & wait about 5 minutes in between moving positions--it sometimes takes a while for the water to work its way in). When you finally locate the leak, seal it up with either Parbond or Vulkem. You must have the leaky area free of any old remaining sealant before you apply the new. Good luck!! I had about a million leaks on my trailer when I bought it, but they're finally all located & this was my best method.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Leaks

I know we are talking about leaks within the Airstream but I thought I would post this page up.One thing I noticed before I covered up this area was that whenever it rained it would collect water and moisture up in the are where the steps are bolted on at.The area exsposed was to the side of it where the floor was opened to the world.I am glad I did this because it seems since I wanted to keep this Airstream for a while I dont want anything to start rotting to soon.It was just to be on the safe side also.http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...eps-28878.html

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote