Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
A Leak

Hello All,
I think I have a leak around my fridge. It has not been raining for over a week and I dont think there are any water connections around the fridge. Could it be a slow leak from the fridge vent seeping down? I am attaching a picture of the area. this is a 75 23' safari. Rain is on the way........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130-3013_IMG.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	49382  
SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSogood
Hello All,
I think I have a leak around my fridge. It has not been raining for over a week and I dont think there are any water connections around the fridge. Could it be a slow leak from the fridge vent seeping down? I am attaching a picture of the area. this is a 75 23' safari. Rain is on the way........
SS,

Open the rear access door outside at the back of the fridge and check to see if the drain tube that drains condensate from the inner tray under the cooling coils is either missing, clogged or mis-positioned and is leaking water onto the floor.

Also check the inside of the frige to see of you have a water trail coming from the cooling fins and is leaking thru the bottom of the door.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
SS,

I do not hink you have a drain tube in that fridge. There should be a drain pan on the inside of the refer. The pan slides out for dumping. Check this pan to see if it is full. If there is no pan than that could be why. If you have not used the reefer for awhile, than it could be a leak from the roof.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSogood
Hello All,
Check the reefer door gasket with a dollar bill.

Open the door, place a dollar bill on the gasket and close the door. Tug on the dollar bill. If it moves easily, then you could have a water leak at that spot.

Typically, since your reefer is over 30 years old, the gasket fit at the bottom of the door, may be the problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
This unit does have a drain pan inside (it was dry, which is odd as I didn't drain it)and no drain tube from the back (not that I could see).
I looked at the gasket and did the $ bill test and it feels snug. However the gasked has rust accumulation on it and the metal it contacts is rusty. Probably need to be cleaned sanded and painted for sure. But as the fridge has been off for 5 days the floor should not be wet but it is. I need to look very closely to see if the drain pan was misplaced next time I run it, there is a lot of rust there so this must have been ongoing for sometime.
SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
The fridge vent on top of my '73 leaked in a couple of places. There is a gasket between the the vent and the shell on top of the camper that leaked. I was able to reseal that with vulkem on the inside of the camper (because the interior walls are out). It needs to be resealed on the outside as well. The gasket really needs to be replaced on mine. That was a fairly large leak in mine. The design of the outside vent will also allow water to splash in thru the opening in the vent, run down the plastic "chimney" (sorry, can't think of the proper term at the moment) that routes exhaust gas from the back of the fridge to the outer vent.

You might try running water slowly over the top of the camper from a hose around that vent and see it the "chimney" leaks on the inside.

Hope this helps a little.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote