Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM   #241
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2003 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
An old thread that is still great for directions for replacing skylights. Replaced both on my 2004 Classic. They were way past due for only caulking was holding them in place. Unit is new to us, was surprised to find the poor condition of the skylights. The Maxim skylights are the only way to go.
Classic2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Are the skylights for mid 2000 Classics all the same size? What were the dimensions you forwarded to Maxim?

Kelvin
Old 07-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #243
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Can't say if they are all the same. Measure you existing curb and call maxim. They are well aware of needed lite for your curb.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #244
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Are the skylights for mid 2000 Classics all the same size? What were the dimensions you forwarded to Maxim?

Kelvin
When I ordered for my 2010 (very early in 2010 model year), Airstream had just changed the dimensions. I did not know this and neither did Maxim. I used Maxim's "standard Airstream dimensions" at their suggestion. They did not fit. Maxim replaced them at no cost to me.

The lesson learned:
Always get your exact measurements to save the time and annoyance of return and replacement.

Airstream changes stuff like that and apparently never tells anyone.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #245
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2003 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
Kelvin,
The size that David had for my 2004 were the right size for both front and back skylights. Rear 17.25 x 25.25, front 22.25 x 22.25. The size that was listed in the Airstream parts manual are not correct, not sure how they measured more like the inside of the curb not outside of curb, finished size? Makes it harder to replace??

I was really happy not to have pull the skylights, measure, reseal and wait for replacements. Getting up on the roof and doing it once was enough, multiple times no fun.

Really cannot understand why Airstream puts such poor quality skylights on such expensive units. Not that much difference between junk and a top notice product that will last a life time.

Vern
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Caution: Please measure...my 2007 are not the same as Vern's. My front is a square, but the rear is a rectangle, so there are obvious differences.

You can easily measure close enough for Maxim to advise you by removing the interior trim and measuring the inside dimensions of the curb. Maxim has a pretty good file of the correct sizes for ASes. They'll know which you have, just tell them that you have the original AS curbs and tell them you measured the inside curb dimensions. Yes, there is a flange on top, but they know that.

You can also climb on the roof and measure the dimensions of the flanged area. You can see it through the old AS lite.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The "production" drawings Airstream sent to me of the roof flanges somehow did not reflect the reality of their building the flanges......

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #248
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The "production" drawings Airstream sent to me of the roof flanges somehow did not reflect the reality of their building the flanges......
And you were surprised at that?????? Jus sayin'

Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #249
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2003 25' Safari
Florence , Oregon
The measurements I provided are for a square front skylight and rectangle is rear.

Vern
Old 01-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #250
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Maxim vs OEM weight & other questions

Maxim skylights sound wonderful. Our 2008 25' Safari has leaks - I have appointment to get recaulked/resealed at the airstream dealer. Just realized it's a perfect time to replace the skylight which is probably part of the problem, not to mention it's cloudy and ugly.

Im a newbie so forgive if this is silly question/concern.

Everyone has said how lightweight and flimsy the OEM skylights are. Liz at Maxim said the Maxims weigh about 21 pounds. I wonder if maybe that's why Airstream uses the lightweight skylights, i.e. to keep the overall weight of trailer less? Being a newbie I'm concerned about keeping the load light, since everything weight wise can add up faster than you think.

Other questions:
Does anyone know about how much the OEM skylights weigh?
For those who have had Maxims a while, how are they maintaining their clarity?
For those who have the bronze, clear, clear Maxims, are you able to see stars at night through them?
asv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 AM   #251
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
IMO, they are worth the weight. OEM is probably about 5 - 7 pounds. Clarity is great. ..just don't use window cleaner on them. Soap and water only. Stars are very clear.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 AM   #252
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We put the Maxim frosted white lenses above the bathroom in the Classic. That is their best light diffuser for inside light and block the most heat gain. We used the middle bronze tint for the front unit and you can see the stars at night through it. We also put the frosted white on the 23D as there was only single skylight.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #253
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by asv2 View Post
Maxim skylights sound wonderful. Our 2008 25' Safari has leaks - I have appointment to get recaulked/resealed at the airstream dealer. Just realized it's a perfect time to replace the skylight which is probably part of the problem, not to mention it's cloudy and ugly.

Im a newbie so forgive if this is silly question/concern.

Everyone has said how lightweight and flimsy the OEM skylights are. Liz at Maxim said the Maxims weigh about 21 pounds. I wonder if maybe that's why Airstream uses the lightweight skylights, i.e. to keep the overall weight of trailer less? Being a newbie I'm concerned about keeping the load light, since everything weight wise can add up faster than you think.

Other questions:
Does anyone know about how much the OEM skylights weigh?
For those who have had Maxims a while, how are they maintaining their clarity?
For those who have the bronze, clear, clear Maxims, are you able to see stars at night through them?

Airstream uses the flimsy skylights for one reason, they are cheap! We've installed Maxim skylights on the last three Airstreams we've owned, and they are great.
They're easy to install, they don't leak, and they don't cloud over...

For whatever it's worth,

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #254
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you everyone who answered, I really appreciate it. I am sold on getting the Maxim!

There are a lot of choices- the glazing colors and order they're in, and the frame finishes. I'm leaning to bronze/clear/clear, but grey might be nice too (couch is grey and aluminum walls) I just want to make sure to be able to see the stars.
Does anyone have a photo of grey/clear/clear, and the mill finish frame?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by asv2 View Post
Thank you everyone who answered, I really appreciate it. I am sold on getting the Maxim!

There are a lot of choices- the glazing colors and order they're in, and the frame finishes. I'm leaning to bronze/clear/clear, but grey might be nice too (couch is grey and aluminum walls) I just want to make sure to be able to see the stars.
Does anyone have a photo of grey/clear/clear, and the mill finish frame?
In your case, I would think the gray would be nice to complement your interior. I chose bronze as I have hickory wood, beige walls, and beige ultraleather and carpet. Bronze gives those tone a nice warm light bath.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #256
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks Rich, Grey does sound logical with the grey and aluminum inside. But I also like the idea of a little warmth from bronze. Post #116 has photos of both BCC and BBC, which is helpful. The bronze in BCC (1st photo of the living area) isn't really noticeable, but it might not be as accurate as it really looks. I actually thought that photo was of an all clear skylight.
I wish Maxim had more photos....
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #257
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Maxim Skylights Responds

Dear asv2, thank you for your interest in Maxim Skylights. I hope I can help with a few responses. Liz provided you with the shipping weight (including the packaging) but the actual weight is approx 15 lbs for the 22.25" X 22.25" and the 17.25" X 25.25" is slightly less. (We are using a large commercial scale so this is why the approx) The clarity will be maintained best if you are careful when cleaning the polycarbonate outer dome and innermost flat panel. We recommend "soap and water" but I realize that may sound too "safe". So I have attached cleaning guidelines from the polycarbonate manufacturer. Please keep in mind polycarbonate while virtually unbreakable is soft and rubbing will leave swirl marks. So this is why a lot off water is helpful and light rubbing. And finally, please let us send you samples of the glazing colors available. We have 8X11 samples that may help you in your choice. Many regards, David - Maxim Skylights
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSC093_Cleaning.pdf (219.3 KB, 49 views)
MaximSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #258
Maxim Skylights
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Dear Airstream friends, we do get many requests for installed pictures so if you would not mind passing the word along, we would love to have pictures before, during and after to share. We are updating our website gallery which is currently limited and mainly shows our residential and commercial skylights. We sure would appreciate your help and pictures can be sent to david@maximskylights.com

We appreciate all the support from you and please also feel free to offer suggestions. This skylight started with Kevin Li looking for help with his Bambi asking "is it possible to" and here we are today. Many regards, David
MaximSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
David, your support has been great and I commend you for nurturing and developing this niche market.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #260
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
David, Thank you very much for all the information. I will email you to see about getting samples. That will help enormously. And another thank you to Kevin Li for starting this and all his great details in his step by step instructions!

Tags
oem skylights, replace