Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Roof vent cover

Howdy!

What are thoughts on the "vent covers"?

I like idea of airflow while traveling in order to reduce interior temp while underway.

Thanks in advance!

Peace
Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
I replaced all my roof vents with fantastic fans, and added covers. They are not the best looking but I.D.K. Its more important to me to have the added safety of no leaks. I can leave my vents open all winter if needed. They are white... very white Alot of people don't like the look.
Thisisliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #3

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
The first "improvement" I made after acquiring my Tradewind was to replace all of my fans with those Fantastic Fans that everyone on this forum was raving about. That was 8 years ago and I can tell you that while they do have their merits, they simply do not last nearly as long as my original ones. I think it's simply because they are made from plastic. Plastic cannot hold up to the elements as well as aluminum can. Even the metal parts on my Fantastics have corroded badly. The old fans did not move enough air but they still worked as well as they ever did after 30 years. To their credit, the Fantastic people are always pleasant and willing to send me new parts. I just wish there was a fan that held up as well as my original Airstream ones and moved as much air as the Fantastic... Anything made from plastic is temporary - just look inside your trailers for the proof.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I have a white MaxxAir Fan Mate on my bathroom vent. I like it, it looks decent and it allows me to leave the vent open all of the time, year round, rain, blizzards whatever. That said, I only put it on one of my 3 Fantastic Fan/Vents as it does not allow the vent to open all the way. While you can still get a good bit of flow, you don't get the full benefit of what the fan can do. Of course depending on where you are, having maximum airflow through all of the vents may or may not be a problem. I think I have a shot of it in my album on here or in another thread.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Here is a link to a thread with info about vent covers and some photos....

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
I have a white MaxxAir Fan Mate on my bathroom vent. … While you can still get a good bit of flow, you don't get the full benefit of what the fan can do.
I have a MaxxAir fan on the roof of my Interstate, with the rain hood. I generally leave the vent open 24/7 except during a hurricane, and have never experienced a leak, even with wind-blown rain in a thunderstorm.

I also find that the airflow through the fan is limited more by the number of windows I have open than by how far the vent opens. If inflow from the windows is less than outflow through the fan, the fan is throttled.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Buffalo Gap , Texas
Fantastic Fans offers a vent cover which allows the FF vent to fully open. Their vent cover is called the Ultra Breeze Vent Cover. UltraBreeze

Gerry
GerryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Just to clarify, I didn't me to sound like you don't get much airflow with the cover on, but just that it isn't as high (at least in my situation) as it is without a cover. But it is still very good. I would also agree about the windows, especially my Hehr's, but most of the time when the fan is on the door is open and we get lots of airflow.

KC3MAP