Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Well I just received the Maxxair Fan/Mate (model 850) from Amazon today. I wound up ordering white because I am putting this first one over the bathroom vent, and I wanted to get as much light in there as I could, The white model (850) is translucent, black (950) is opaque. Only two colors in this model. I hope to get it on maybe tomorrow if the weather is ok. It will be my first trip onto the roof of an AS. Hopefully I won't wind up in the interior! With the vent location, most of the install can likely be done from the ladder. I think I will put some plywood on the roof to spread the weight and also focus on staying on the ribs. Whenever I do get it installed, I will post a pic or two for anyone that might be interested. BTW, Amazon, as often is the case, had the best price. Free delivery and I received it within two days.

I am looking forward to having a vent cover on again as when I was a Assateague last weekend, it was hard keeping the RV vent open while I took a shower, because with the breeze as it was flapping around a good bit.

Note: Last Friday at Assateague it was 80+, I was sitting on the beach in shorts and a t shirt. Today (Fri) a week later, I am at work between DC and Balto, it's noon and the temp is39. That's March for you. I am ready for spring though. I did bow out the lines when I came back just in case, I am glad I did. I'm hoping it will warm up a bit so we can head out next weekend. MD state parks open up then. Will likely head to Cunningham Falls SP near Thurmont, MD. Close to home (20 / 25 min. drive), it's a great place for a weekend getaway. As a point of reference, it's in the same park system (state / federal) as Camp David) about 15 miles south of Gettysburg. Back to Assateague National Seashore for spring break at Easter. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

anyway, it will be nice having the cover on (as I did in my Jayco) while the trailer is not being used. With a couple of windows cracked, it should help to get the heat out in the summer (I store the trailer behind my house FYI, hence keeping the windows open).

Thanks again for everyone's input/photos etc. It was a big help.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Spent 3 nights at Elk Neck St. Pk. last weekend. Tee shirt weather. Back in So. Jersey now and worrying about freezing.Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I was looking at the installation video on the MaxxAir site. Pretty well done, of course it is an easy installation, the hardest part is getting up on the roof. The vent cover screws into the side of the vent, as did the one that I had on my SOB. However, this one comes with some "optional" screws that also screw down into the roof through the base of the fan "to aid stability". Seem like might be a good idea. Of course the installation is geared to SOBs. In it they recommend pre-caulking the hole, and then of course caulking over the screw tops (maybe some eternabond tape might be good?...small piece). They also recommend limiting the drilling depth. My question is (not having installed things on the roof of an airstream before), do you think it would be ok to put these extra screws in through the base of the fan and roof? Seems like it should be ok, but thought I would ask. BTW the fan cover seems like it is well made and should last a long time (knock on wood).

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
When I installed my Maxx Air, of course I had to square the corners of the 14 inch opening. I then took a 2x4 ripped in half to 2x2 and put it inbetween the outer and innr skin. Has never leaked and is probably there forever. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Sal< I have heard that Elk Neck is nice, may give it a whirl at some point. The thing is, living in Frederick and working in the Balto. DC area, I have a general rule that I head west or north on weekends unless going to the beach. It's hard for me to head back down and around the Balto. hell zone on my days off!

KC3MAP

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
I know what your saying. Drove truck all my life. Last 5 years steady run every day to DC. But we had to get out for the first camping of the season. And I do love the western part of MD. Gonna have to look into this. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I installed the vent cover today. Looks good as far as I am concerned. It's going to be nice to keep the vent open in the summer. Easy install. First time on the roof, no big deal, I was careful to stay on the main ribs. I worked from the step ladder on the street side and then put my extension ladder on the curb side to climb up. Photo of it installed in my gallery.

KC3MAP

Tags
maxxair, vent cover