Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Fan-tastic Vent Cover

I don't understand what purpose a Fan-tastic Vent Cover serves other than protecting the interior from rain. Is it's only purpose to allow the vent to remain open and the fan running during rain?

This is the cover that I'm questioning:
Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Covers - Product - Camping World

How difficult is it to install one of these?
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I assume installation is easy. Remember that is is always up! I think this adds wind resistance and looks hideous! My opinion.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have a similar cover over the front vent in my trailer. Maxi vent, I think. No fan there. In the summer I travel with the vent open. Keeps the trailer cooler while we are moving. Keeps rain out. Have the fantastic fan in the bedroom vent with the automatic closing cover.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I don't understand what purpose a Fan-tastic Vent Cover serves other than protecting the interior from rain. Is it's only purpose to allow the vent to remain open and the fan running during rain?

This is the cover that I'm questioning:
Fan-tastic Ultrabreeze Vent Covers - Product - Camping World

How difficult is it to install one of these?
Easy to install... meant to be able to leave the vent open when driving, in the rain, and to protect from heavy snow loads in the winter.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you both for your replies.

I agree ... I don't really like how they look. Our Fan-tastic Fan has the rain sensor on it so I think I'll just continue without purchaseing and installing these covers.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
With the covers you can leave the vent(s) open while in storage and never have to worry about excess heat no mold and mildew due to high humidity stale air.
Plus, you can run the fan(s) in the rain.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Just bought two of them to replace the SOB covers that I installed several years ago. The SOB covers cut down the air movement far too much. I haven't installed them yet, but the hardest part will be to get through the sealant to remove 4 of the original #8 mounting screws. The cover mounts with #10 screws in the same 4 holes. I have a tube of Sikaflex to seal everything.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Just bought two of them to replace the SOB covers that I installed several years ago. The SOB covers cut down the air movement far too much. I haven't installed them yet, but the hardest part will be to get through the sealant to remove 4 of the original #8 mounting screws. The cover mounts with #10 screws in the same 4 holes. I have a tube of Sikaflex to seal everything.
Hi John. Next time we camp with you and Kay I'll be interested in seeing what you install and hearing your reviews on the results. Your Airstream/RV knowledge always helps me very much.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would not add covers over the fantastic fan either. I have the vent cover over a vent without a fan. The cover I used installs to the metal vent, not to the skin of the trailer. No holes in the trailer to install the vent.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
It seems like it would work great while moving. but once camped it would seem to restrict the air flow of the fan from pushing air in or out, as it can only come through the back.. Any users have any experience with this? I could be wrong.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I have the Maxxfan on my trailer. It can be left open when stored or towing. Does not let water in when raining so has no rain sensor. Have had one on for more than two years now with no issues. Same airflow as the fantastic fan.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
There's nothing worse than a warm rainy day and having the vent close. Get the cover or get a Maxxfan.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
There's nothing worse than a warm rainy day and having the vent close. Get the cover or get a Maxxfan.
Very true, that would not be comfortable sitting in the Airstream without any air flowing on a warm rainy day. But we can't even use the Fan-tastic fan until very, very late in the fall through very, very early in the spring because the outside temperature just doesn't cool down enough until that time of the year. The rest of the time throughout the year we have to run the air conditioner because of high temperatures. But it would be nice to use the Fan-tastic fan, regardless of rain, when we have the cooler temperatures.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
We have two of the Maxxair II covers over the Fan-tastics on our 23' Flying Cloud. Easy installation, no drilling into body. Mount to the exisitng aluminum frame of the Fan-tastic. The fans still move plenty of air with the covers in place. As stated, great when it's raining outside to provide ventilation. I leave both of my vents open when stored, one fan on thermostatic contol to come on when temp in the tailer goes up. Pulls air from one end of the trailer to the other. I don't mind the look so much; mine are white to match the a/c shroud. Looks OK, INMO.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
It seems like it would work great while moving. but once camped it would seem to restrict the air flow of the fan from pushing air in or out, as it can only come through the back.. Any users have any experience with this? I could be wrong.
Fantastic has a video on the net that convinced me. They have a fan on a box with a flapper that shows airflow. They put various covers on the box to show what effect they have. The new Fantastic cover does not affect airflow significantly. Every other cover they show (including the one I have) really knocks flow down.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We have two of the maxxair covers over our fantastic vents .. one is black to reduce the light near the bedroom and the other is translucent above the galley. Great airflow rain or shine! The rain solenoid sensor still works of you get cross wind blowing into your AS. The best part is not having to worry about a vent cover vibrating off (over time) while headed down the road. Yes, we've been down that road with a week's worth of rain - duct tape and cardboard repair until we could buy a baking pan to fit over the opening, Now, no worry! The Maxxair vent cover protects the vent cover.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
You can move air in your trailer through the fan or fans in your bathroom and your range hood. I think these would add drag to your trailer and the black one would look like Darth Vader had his head sticking through a hole in the roof of your trailer.

Dan
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
You can move air in your trailer through the fan or fans in your bathroom and your range hood. I think these would add drag to your trailer and the black one would look like Darth Vader had his head sticking through a hole in the roof of your trailer.

Dan
To each his own

... the difference in drag as I was taught in flight school -with regard to external hard points / stores - is negligent as the A/C profile already protrudes into the air stream. In fact, it might even be less drag due to the laminar flow over the Maxxair vent cover prior to the A/C unit. I always kind of liked Darth and my wife likes the darkened / muted sleeping area at night as she is light sensitive (sorry Dan, wife wins on this... must not be alone because many folks buy the inside vent covers for the same reason). We like to also leave the vents partially open while in transit; my range hood vent is specified by AS to remain closed while in motion (ostensibly to prevent damage to the flap) and the bathroom vent is not protected from rain / snow.

Don't knock it until you try it ... we LIKE the Maxxair vent covers!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Mefly, I could argue the aerodynamics but point well taken. I like Darth as well. I would have to go with the white ones though. Our fantastic covers are tinted pretty dark so they do block out a lot of the sun, much more than the useless skylite. If I could make that go away I would. It's just an annoying distraction in the ceiling and another area for leaks.

Dan
Old 06-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
Contributing Member

Here is the that convinced me. My current vent cover is the last non-Fantastic cover that they show.
WBCCI #9632