Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
RJ, is this a barnyard smell or is it more like a medicinal one? Barnyard smells are generally gifts left behind by visitors in the insulation, a medicinal smell comes from the decomposition of the subfloor. The cleaning might be in vain if the barn yard smell is coming from the insulation or the medicinal smell is coming from the floor. These situations are very common and that is why us restorers are always trying to tear it down to the axles.
Hey Frank
Do you pro's wear any kind of mask when you demo trailers? I'm concerned with hantivirus and possible mold allergies.
Thanks
Mike
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Vaughan, that's interesting. The technology as I understand it is there are wires on the cover surface and when a drop of rain rests on both sides of the circuit, it closes the circuit and closes the cover (cover goes up and down a lot in a very light shower). In the 1990's skylights were available with this feature. I would think anything painted on the surface would make it impossible for the water to reach the wires.

Maybe this is different technology or magic.

Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Gene,

The sensor is under the cover in the lower right corner with hinge at the top.
Wipe it down regularly wit a wet rag and that's enough to keep it working.

Bob
Bob's right on this one. Like I said, the sensor is inside under the cover. See the photo below. The sensor is the yellowish thing with the squiggly lines in the lower right corner just inside the seal.

(It was not easy finding a photo of the top, most of the photos show the bottom as seen from the inside or the lid closed. Finally found this one online. I guess that's one of the advantages of installing things yourself, you get to see all sides of it.)

This has a couple of pluses over having the sensor on the lid:

1) The unit is stationary and the wired don't flex back-and-forth when opening and closing the lid.

2) In the event the lid ever needs replacing, the lid is just a lid. Simpler to change.

A possible disadvantage to mounting it inside is that when the sensor dries the lid may reopen briefly while it is still raining. Others have mentioned this in other threads. Once a new drop hits the sensor the lid will re-close immediately, but some have mentioned that it can be annoying, especially while they are sleeping. I haven't had problems with this, myself. Usually by the time the sensor dries, the storm has moved on or I have manually switched off the unit to prevent this happening.

Possibly the best solution would be an external rain sensor mounted on the base or remotely. I'm not sure if the advantages would outweigh the increases in complexity and installation procedures. The rain sensor works pretty good where it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantastic_Vent.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	153365  
Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Vaughan and Bob, thanks for clarifying that. I assumed it was built like the automatic skylight I installed on a house years ago. Assumptions are dangerous things.

Next question—does anyone know how the new vent covers for FF's are attached to the roof? Will they be using two sided tape? I sent an e-mail to the company, so I may find out soon.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
RJ, is this a barnyard smell or is it more like a medicinal one? Barnyard smells are generally gifts left behind by visitors in the insulation, a medicinal smell comes from the decomposition of the subfloor. The cleaning might be in vain if the barn yard smell is coming from the insulation or the medicinal smell is coming from the floor. These situations are very common and that is why us restorers are always trying to tear it down to the axles.
It's more of a barnyard smell. This trailer WAS actually stored in a barn for a year, so it could be that or it could be the gifts you mentioned. Hopefully it's the first one!

There aren't any signs of infestation anywhere that I've seen, even down in the belly pan under the water pump, which I know isn't a perfect measure.

For the subfloor, there aren't any leaks that I've been able to find, no soft floors, etc. Also, it's definitely not the moldy smell we got in the B190 when the window leaked and damaged the wooden frame of the bunk bed.

Thanks.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't those things cost about as much and an air conditioner? The best fan is a cheap fan like a couple pancake computer fans mounted in the OEM vents.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Don't those things cost about as much and an air conditioner? The best fan is a cheap fan like a couple pancake computer fans mounted in the OEM vents.

Perry
$207.99 online, for the Model we have, 3 speed, reverse, with with rain sensor and thermostat. 14"x14" opening.

Our Classic has 5 onboard fans, AC, bathroom, two Fantastic Vent Fans, and stove vent.

Any more may be overkill.

Bob
Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
A fancy fan with all the bells and whistles is still a fraction of the cost of an air conditioner. You can get a basic fan for less than $200. My basic Maxxfans cost me $100 each on sale.

Have you tried this computer fan idea of yours?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Any more may be overkill.

Bob
I call it an emergency backup
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I call it an emergency backup

After I visit the "little room" the DW is usually found outdoors with Fado, so maybe there's no such thing as "overkill."

Bob
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Holy cow!
Love the forum: just post a question and 4 pages later the info is still coming!
Perryg114
I was also wondering if a $200 fan is better than a $200 AC from Craiglist.
We were also thinking about the computer fans on the vents since we saw that in a 2007 Safari in the refrigerator vent.
Did you try it?
Lumatic:
where did you get the Maxxfans for $100.
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Here's a little tip: when I was at the Fantastic Vent factory having installation done, I asked what their views were about leaving the vent lid open and driving down the road. They said two interesting things. First, they told me that they have no problem with leaving the lid open - they test them to 120 mph, so normal highway speeds are no issue. And second, I asked about dust entry into the coach when driving on dirt / gravel roads. They specifically recommended having the vent lit open and the fan(s) on while going down the road, blowing IN. Their view is that this pressurizes the coach with "clean" air drawn in from up high, and thus helps keep dust from entering. I haven't had a chance to test this out ... if there is anyone else who has, I'd sure like to hear about it.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Soundz bass akwards to me, but what do I know.

Bob