Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
astrodome sized fantastic?

My 67 overlander is missing the Astrodome and the brackets that attach to it. A sheet of Lexan has been screwed permanently in its place. The screen however is in good condiditon and the mechanisms (less handles) appear to work fine. Looks like I have a couple of options. Get a replacement cover and find some used brackets (or have some fabricated, or replace the entire vent with something like a fantastic vent. Anyone have a lead on a vent that size? Anyone have used brackets they are willing to part with?
joe3957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The rectangular dome lid is available from Inland RV or Vintage Trailer Supply. It is just for ventilation. I do not know of a powered option.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I talked to the Fantastic people about some kind of fan in that area, and their idea was to install a powered Fantastic in one end of the hole, and an unpowered vent in the other end.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957
My 67 overlander is missing the Astrodome and the brackets that attach to it. A sheet of Lexan has been screwed permanently in its place. The screen however is in good condiditon and the mechanisms (less handles) appear to work fine. Looks like I have a couple of options. Get a replacement cover and find some used brackets (or have some fabricated, or replace the entire vent with something like a fantastic vent. Anyone have a lead on a vent that size? Anyone have used brackets they are willing to part with?
I might have some random bits that would allow you to install a fan in the large vent opening. Not sure if I have lifters, though.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
lifters

Uwe
I actually have the mechanism (the screw part) but the bent sheet metal is what I am lacking. Doesn't do me much good to get Inland or VTS cover if I can't make it operate, which is why I was looking at a fantastic option. I just need to find somebody with a brake or go to a HVAC shop and get some fabricated I guess...but that means disassembling one that works. Joe
Old 05-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Uwe
I actually have the mechanism (the screw part) but the bent sheet metal is what I am lacking. Doesn't do me much good to get Inland or VTS cover if I can't make it operate, which is why I was looking at a fantastic option. I just need to find somebody with a brake or go to a HVAC shop and get some fabricated I guess...but that means disassembling one that works. Joe
I would simply use a section of aluminum hinge on top of the lifter screw, and fasten it to the lid. If you need more length, you might consider using an an aluminum strip to extend teh reach of the screw.
This is easy to envision, but hard to put in words...

On edit:
The lifter extensions are really just strips of metal with a bend on the top, where it meets the lid. You can use a hinget there, giving you the option of tilting the lid away from the wind, or into it.
The metal strip is drilled and fastened to the lifting block with 2 small screws. Easy to re-create.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Even if you go to a fab shop, you're not going to get a "dome" shape in the skin. You could make the cover if you could get a piece of aluminum sheet cut the right size. Just add 1" "L" angle all around--that would provide stiffness and give you the flange you need around the edge. I don't know what kind of hinge and "screw jack" attachment fitting you need, but I think you could have a serviceable lid in no time. If you want the light, just use Lexan in place of the aluminumsheet.

I'd attach the angle with solid rivets--for appearance and leaks. You'd also need to seal the joint between the lexan/aluminum sheet and the angle.

Zep
Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
If the top connector to the lid cover is what you're concerned about, drill out and tap the inside, smaller cylinder on the lifter. I had to do this to mine as the top hinged piece came loose. Been 7 years since I did this and it has held steady. I also created my own cover out to two pieces of Lexan with a 1" aluminum angle as the edging. Search the forums for my diagrams of how I built it because I'm not at home right now or I would post them here.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
We have the Astrodomes in milk white and solar gray.

We also have the operators.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
thanks for input

Everyone for the advice. Andy I had called your shop because I thought you had the brackets, but was told they are unavailable. i see old style Hehr operators, but those are different than what is on my trailer. If you have the brackets, what is the part number? I will take a look at what you are suggesting Uwe I had not really considered just attaching to to the top, but I think indeed that should work.