Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Returned with a broken window

Hi all,
Well after returning from a test to check heating of hubs, which the curb side are getting very hot and the street side is a cool as it can be, my front curb wing window was shattered. I dont know how, maybe a rock. What is the best way to replace. My plane is to use a local dealer for a piece of lexan. If I bring him the frame he can cut to fit. There is not much of a bend so I feel I can slide it in. There is a groove inside the frame that I assume the replacement should fit. What is the procedure for the re-assembly. How do I get the frame all the way out as there are no rivets along the center window frame. Also I was able to remove the gasket? Should I try to re-use or do I use Vulkem as a replacement. I don't believe the gaskets are available anymore. Attached are pictures with the rivets removed, the gasket and the groove inside the frame. Thanks for any advice, we are booked at Palmetto State Park the weekend after next so I am hopeing to fix by then but may not make it.
James Flint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window-Rivets-Removed.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	48373  
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Is it a single pane window?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks
Yes it is a single pane. Only one piece of glass.
James
Old 10-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Better be ready for the other window to go too.

I think it has something to do with the rubber gasket getting hard and the glass getting old. The twisting of the trailer going down the road and poof!

Here is an excerpt from my website on how I did mine.

I researched what I could and here is my replacement technique. Use a chisel to knock off the heads of the original rivets. There will be about 50 per frame. Next, knock the divider bar between the wrap window and the center window up with a block of wood and a hammer. Don't pry them off like I did. I had to buy new ones at $25 each! Now the window frame will come off gently. The frame comes apart by removing the two screws on the flat frame side. Next, cut a piece of cardboard to fit in the frame. Keep making adjustments to the cardboard until it fits perfectly. Now, using the cardboard as a template, trace the pattern on to some lexan type plexiglass. Lexan will not turn yellow over time exposed to the sun as standard plexiglass will. Use a jig saw to cut the window out of the Lexan.

Back on the trailer, cut the left over stems of the original rivets on the trailer body flush with a dremel tool. Use liberal amounts of vulkem sealant on the back of the window frame. Next, hold the frame in place and drill out rivet holes using the existing holes in the frame as a guide, through the airstream body. Use olympic rivets to fasten. Apply vulkem on each rivet body as you put them in. Then gently tap the divider bar back into place with a block of wood and hammer.

I probably left some steps out, but you get the jest of it.

Wrap Windows
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
wing woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Better be ready for the other window to go too.

Next, knock the divider bar between the wrap window and the center window up with a block of wood and a hammer. Don't pry them off like I did. I had to buy new ones at $25 each!
Ditto on the other one being ready to go. It's a problem with the tempered glass. I doing both of my wings now.

I tried the block and hammer idea. That sucker is on there. I can't figure on how to get it off except cut it. Where can you get the new divider bars. I was told they are not available.

I bought a rivet remover tool to drill out the rivets. Drifted all over the place. Had better luck with just a drill.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Center Bar

I used a punch to tap the center of each rivet and was able to drill out (30 minutes) using #30 bit and will tap out with #21 per Andy's advice to make the hole round again. My bar is also on there good, I think I have some sort of rivet that is holding it in place, at the bottom of each bar is a round circle looking thing about 5/16 in diameter? I tried the wood block and was unable to budge but I think that thing is the reason. I will investigate more after work today.
James
Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones
I used a punch to tap the center of each rivet and was able to drill out (30 minutes) using #30 bit and will tap out with #21 per Andy's advice to make the hole round again. My bar is also on there good, I think I have some sort of rivet that is holding it in place, at the bottom of each bar is a round circle looking thing about 5/16 in diameter? I tried the wood block and was unable to budge but I think that thing is the reason. I will investigate more after work today.
James
The center bar that holds the wing window to the front window frame, can be removed and thrown away.

When reinstalling the window, add some vulkem to the seam between the wing window and front window.

Installing plastic, of any type in a front window or wind window or wrap window, is not a good idea.

When traveling at 60 mph and meeting another vehicle coming towards you at 60 mph, then there is a wind factor of 120 mph that will hit the front windows.

That usually results in the plastic window blowing out, since the plastic is flexible, which in turn, and very quickly, the wind entering the trailer will cause more damage, and sometimes blowing out the rear window too.

Insurance companies cover glass losses without a problem.

The safest way is to replace the window with a new unit, that comes with the metal frame, or if your going to use plastic, then add a "rock guard" to the front windows. That will stop the wind problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
New

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The center bar that holds the wing window to the front window frame, can be removed and thrown away.

When reinstalling the window, add some vulkem to the seam between the wing window and front window.

Installing plastic, of any type in a front window or wind window or wrap window, is not a good idea.

When traveling at 60 mph and meeting another vehicle coming towards you at 60 mph, then there is a wind factor of 120 mph that will hit the front windows.

That usually results in the plastic window blowing out, since the plastic is flexible, which in turn, and very quickly, the wind entering the trailer will cause more damage, and sometimes blowing out the rear window too.

Insurance companies cover glass losses without a problem.

The safest way is to replace the window with a new unit, that comes with the metal frame, or if your going to use plastic, then add a "rock guard" to the front windows. That will stop the wind problem.

Andy
Are these wing windows still available new? I need a single pane street side.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
Are these wing windows still available new? I need a single pane street side.
We usually have plenty of the wing windows in stock.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Fixed Wing Window

Fixed and ready to roll again, thanks Tim!
1/8" Lexan $25, 1 tube Trempro $5, 2 #21 drill bits $4. Fixed Wing Window, Priceless.
Drilled out the rivets and cleaned up frame window area, drilled new holes first with #30 then again with #21. Slid in new window, used Trempro liberally throughout and re-riveted.
Very easy to do and I don't think there is anyway it will blow in. The lexan inserts 3/8 inch into a 1/4 inch wide slot in frame. For it to blow in it would have to bend 90 degrees in that slot, no way!
James Flint
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wing Window Fix Drill Rivets.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	48626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Window Fix Cleanup.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	48627