Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2003, 08:30 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

I am going to attempt to adjust my window

The big window in the rear bedroom. It is not tight and water gets through, although it seems like it leaks from somewhere to the right of the window, one of the seams. It then leaks onto the right night stand.

Looks like it was a chronic leak for a while.

What size socket do I need to adjust it?
Old 11-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

It is not easy to get a socket on any of the nuts on your window fasteners. What you will need is an assortment of wrenches (SAE, not metric), possibly some Vice-grips, and probably some good penetrating oil. I like PB Blaster - really works.

Sorry I can't remember the sizes. It takes two wrenches to losen the nuts on either side of the latch finger. Be very careful as the entire assembly is cast pot metal and is rather brittle.

Use plenty of penetrating oil on the nuts before trying anything. Let it soak overnight. If the nuts are rusty you may have to use Vice-grips as your wrench could round them off. It is usually possible to put a box end wrench on the outer nut, but not, of course on the inner.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I did it. It is pretty easy. The sizes are: 1/2" in SAE and you will also need another 1/2" wrench to hold the nut. Luckily, I had a metric set with 13mm which worked wonderfully.

I sprayed all over the window with a hose - no leaks. I am pleased with that.

Now my question is, would getting them really tight present any problems? I don't want to break the latch from stress.

P.S. They weren't overly rusty, just a bit.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

If adjusted to be pretty tight when the air temperature is high, then a good strong cold snap could easily cause the threaded shaft to shrink enough to either strip the threads or break where the large nut holds the latch against the window frame. Or both.

I think the ideal adjustment would be "snug". If it takes a really tight adjustment to seal out the rain then it is likely time for a new window gasket.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Makes sense, I will loosen them a bit. But I didn't get them *that* tight, just kind of tight.
Temperature variations can be rather severe during the winter -- last January hit 9F, which was unusually low however, from the nearly 70F when I adjusted them the other day. Still, a 50 degree drop would not be unusual.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The window latch adjustment can vary more than 1/8 inch.

A good or new gasket gives plenty of play.

An old or flattened gasket gives zero play.

Fresh gaskets are the real key.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote