Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Holy Moly, our new window fell out!!

So there we were, taking an afternoon nap at Watchman Campground on our recent trip to Zion, and suddenly KA-THOOOONG THOOONG THONG! We jumped up to find that one our our brand-new curved side windows from Vintage had actually fallen right out of the clamp, bounced off the metal table beside the rig, and bounced onto the ground! (Note: These are the infamous curved side windows of the 66-67-68 years.)

Thankfully, it didn't break, and we crammed the thing back into the mount and didn't open it for the rest of the trip.

Oh, just to make sure, I went ahead and inspected the other new one we bought, and it was just about to fall out, too!

What gives. Well, it was unusually hot (low 90s), and the tar stuff that I'd gotten from Vintage had become very pliant. But that can't be the whole story, and it isn't!

Inspecting the new new windows, I found that they're a bunch thicker than the originals, hence a good deal heavier. So here's my explanation: You take a much heavier window, seal it with tar that tends to get soft with heat, and clamp it on just from the top, and the thing will pull back out. (And, if you're lucky like we were, it won't break when it hits the ground.)

So what to do? Here's my thought, but I'd sure like to hear ideas from others, too! (Next trip isn't until fall, so there's time!) The idea is to get some kind of hard plastic to go around the side of the window at the top; to glue this plastic piece to the window edge itself; to apply glue on the outside of the plastic piece and put the window into the original 67 clamp. In this way, I alleviate the softening of tar and provide for the extra holding capacity into the clamp that the heavier window requires to stay in place.

Ok, that's the story. Please let me know your ideas!!

Lynn

PS: This is only the first of the problems we had with the Airstream on this trip! I'll explain others in separate posts.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
That was a bad luck/ good luck combo for sure. I worry about my glass doing that as some of the POs repairs havent always been optimal. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
There are adhesives that culd glue the crack of dawn shut. Some of the polyurethanes like vulkem and 3M marine sealant are tenacious. Some traditional automotive glass adhesives are notoriously prone to coldflowing.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
The original glass windows were very thin and extremely fragile. I know because I accidentally broke one. It makes sense that the replacement windows are thicker and heavier so it also makes sense that they can’t be reliably held in place with just a bead of glue at the top. I‘ve even had a Plexiglass window fall out because the glue was old and brittle. It would be great if there was some type of hardware to actually clamp them in the hinge (glass bar). Barring that, an extra strip of plastic and more glue might be the best fix. It’s definitely a problem that needs a cure.
Btw Lynn, if I’m reading correctly, you used a black tar sealant to glue your windows in the hinges. I used 3M silicon weatherstrip adhesive as the glue when I did the replacement. I think the black tar sealant is just for leak prevention. Steve Hintgen lists detailed installation tips on his web site:
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
I think it was Steve who told me to use the 3M silicon glue but it may have been someone else.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I can't believe your glass fell out and didn't break! Wow!

Be sure and let us know how you finally fix it. I have one window I need to replace, but I'm waiting until the plexi shows a little more age before I dive into that project.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I used the "adhesive bedding tape" (basically a strip of tar on a pull-off tape) to bed the windows. Really needs something better than that. Maybe the strip of plastic held in place by the TremPro 635 fast-curing version of Vulcem would be the best.

I do need to measure the thickness of the new windows and then scour the local hardware scores for appropriate plastic pieces. Another thing for my "Taos list." (I just added it to my list, so now I can post this message.)

Lynn
Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Oh, I was going to add that we actually need to replace one last window in the rig: The smaller curved one over the kitchen sink is still ancient plexiglass, and it's near death. Might make a good one for some bathroom that needs an opaque window. Or a good filler for the bottom of a dumpster.

Lynn
Old 05-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
You're lucky

Soooo lucky it didn't break! I was cleaning window tint from one of my side windows, which was still installed, when it pulled right out of the window bar in my hands. That's what put me on the road of installing new bedding tape in all of my windows. I've been there and done that, so here's what we did:

We put two-sided heavy duty tape over the top of the windowpane, then folded the thick black rubber bedding tape over that, and installed it. No glue, nothing. I've had no problems, and no leaks in heavy rains so far. We gave the windows a good solid tug after installing and they're in good.

If you go to my Flickr pictures there's a pictorial of sorts that shows what we did that prevents our windows from falling out. It's below in my signature.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Pink "Bad Window Karma" Flamingoes

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I would use an aviation sealant like PRC1440B1/2. If you have an FBO (Fixed Base Operator) at a airport near you you can most likely buy some there. It will basically seal and adhere to almost everything. Its kind of spendy at around 20 dollars for 6 Oz's. but worth it. I'm assembling my Globetrotter with it. It will never leak where I use it.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I would use an aviation sealant like PRC1440B1/2. If you have an FBO (Fixed Base Operator) at a airport near you you can most likely buy some there. It will basically seal and adhere to almost everything. Its kind of spendy at around 20 dollars for 6 Oz's. but worth it. I'm assembling my Globetrotter with it. It will never leak where I use it.
Humm! Interesting idea! There's an FBO right across the street from us, but maybe my elderly dad has a cheaper source. (He's currently got his Aercoup's wings and tail section off to repaint the whole thing in his garage.)

Thanks for the tip!!

Lynn
Old 05-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Just a little more info here. I got out my calipers yesterday and did some measuring. (Hard to do because those little lines and numbers are really hard to read for a person developing lots of near-vision difficulties!) Here's what I found:

Original glass: 1/16th inch thick
New glass: 1/8th inch thick

Lynn
Old 05-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
One of the service bulletins I have found stated that a bead of clear silicon caulk should be place along the window / bar joint on the inside and outside to help prevent the window from slipping out. Also it is recommended that the windows be fully opened, not just partial, in weather where the temperatures are above 80 degrees. Seams that this is not a new problem to the Curved Corning window......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Hey, the window was wide open when it fell out!

Lynn
Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Probably a bad idea

So, I'm sure that there is a reason why no one has recommended automotive clear RTV? I have used it where shock resistance and adhesiveness are required. Mostly on cars.
One caution about hardware fixtures. I had a similar problem with an Italian car that had a lot of body flex. I devised a piece of hardware to fix the window into the frame. Oops... cracked the window during a race. Maybe just bad engineering but when I used RTV, the window stayed where it was supposed to be. There are many grades of RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanization) that go from mildly adhesive to sticky enough to glue an oil pan on.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Donna/Mike,

Is Dow Corning RTV-732 the same stuff your talking about?? If so that is what is call out in the maintenance guide. It would be cool if it is the same.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Sometimes Permatex 66b sometimes Devcon products and sometimes Dow Corning products. I go to my specialty mechanics and they give me the prescription. I am inclined to find the most permanent and rigid solution. They recommend something that does the job but isn't overkill. I was going to epoxy the windows in my car and my advisors reminded me that I might want to replace it someday. Hence the RTV. It sounds like a medium performance RTV like a Permatex 66b would be adequate. However, I havent seen it in large tubes.

Hope this helps.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Talking

Since my wife doesn't take part in the forums, I guess I can tell where I found a source for a plastic inner surround for the AS window. This morning, I bicycled up to the hardware store and searched in vein for anything. Even went through their supplier catalogs and found zilch.

So I rode back home and decided to work on something else, namely, our newly repaired bulletin board cover, which I'd stored for the winter in Maria's storage room. Went in there to fetch it -- and noticed a thing she'd bought to mount posters. It's a big piece of cardboard with a thin plexiglass cover, and with nice, plastic surrounds to hold the whole business together. Ah! So I pulled off one of the surrounds, snuck it past my wife to the garage, and measured it with the calipers: Exactly 1/8th inch.

Lynn
Old 05-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Ok, that's the story. Please let me know your ideas!!

Lynn

PS: This is only the first of the problems we had with the Airstream on this trip! I'll explain others in separate posts.
Lynn.

1966 windows are held in place with "silicone sealer."

1967 and 1968 windows are held in place with "double sided" tape.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Lynn.
1966 windows are held in place with "silicone sealer."
1967 and 1968 windows are held in place with "double sided" tape.
Andy
Double sided tape? Boy, I hope that is strong stuff, because the new glass windows that the folks at Vintage are supplying are heavy things!

Lynnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I absolutely would not use double sided tape for the heavier glass. I think Andy was just posting info on the originals, but I'll let him speak for himself if he sees fit. One very important thing on replacing these windows is to clean out the groove where the top of the window pane fits as much as possible. Leaving old glue or tape residue will not allow the new window panes to seat snugly.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote