Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Houma , Louisiana
help with '68 GT windows

Previous owner of our 68 GT replaced the rear window with plexiglass with has warped. Need place to get new glass. Also need advice on what kind of curtain, shade, whatever goes on the window over the sink/kitchen area. Need to replace screen on window next to door. Need supports/arms for rock guard on front window. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
mimibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Your '68 had Corning Glass windows. These are a very sleek, curved, frameless windows that are no longer available from Corning. Vintage Trailer Supply now offers a reproduction. You can find lots of info on these and member's experiences in replacing them by doing a search here on the forums by searching "Corning Glass".

If it is just the rear (or front) window you are looking to replace, it is flat and can be replaced by just about anybody - nothing special about it. Check your local yellow pages...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimibeth
Previous owner of our 68 GT replaced the rear window with plexiglass with has warped. Need place to get new glass. Also need advice on what kind of curtain, shade, whatever goes on the window over the sink/kitchen area. Need to replace screen on window next to door. Need supports/arms for rock guard on front window. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
All the original windows from 1966 and up, are tempered glass.

To have one made, even a flat one, becomes expensive. The side curved windows are virtually impossible to make one at a time, that meets the proper cuyature of the shell.

We have all of the tempered glass windows for your trailer, that are not reproductions, but were made for us through the Airstream factory, which meets or exceeds the original specs, that is also reflected in the economical price structure.

You can see them on our web site, Airstream Parts Sale Inland RV Center, Inc. (951) 734-8130

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I bought my rear window from a local glass company and specified the measurements along with tempered and no rounded corners (due to mine having trim). It cost me under 50$ and took about a week.

The window shade over the sink is a pull down, roller shade in mine. I just made a new panel and sewed it to the old (that I cut off to about 2 inches from the top). The old has a sturdy wooden roller- much better than the stuff they make today, IMHO. Do you have any remnants of what was there?

The screens are all curved (except front and rear) so I think you may need to find someone parting out theirs.

The arms for the rock guard... and lots of other great information, how-tos and pics: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...tml#post281446

Good Luck!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote