Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
HELP, window fell off

I have a 69 Overlander. I had the front window open and the entire window fell out. Luckily it didn't break , but the top hinge, which is supposed to be fixed to the top of frame, came off. It appears it was originally glued on. Wondering how to reattach. Im thinking epoxy or gorilla glue or something?
Noco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It should have been riveted to the sash, using bucked rivets.
To reinstall, drill out the old rivet remains, and use new pop rivets from the back side of the hibge to re-attach.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Its just the curled bead that window hinges into. There were no rivets in it and there is no way to rivet it
Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Run a bead of Vulkem caulk down the back side of the hinge then rivet. If you want the bucked rivet look use Olympic rivets.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Run a bead of Vulkem caulk down the back side of the hinge then rivet. If you want the bucked rivet look use Olympic rivets.
That doesn't make sense. Photos?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Pictures pictures pictures
Old 03-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noco View Post
Its just the curled bead that window hinges into. There were no rivets in it and there is no way to rivet it
Noco, If the extruded top of the window assembly has a curled edge it is supposed to fit into a opposite curled top piece. The top edge of the window frame should have this opposite curled lip riveted to the window frame at the exterior skin area or just at the top edge of the sash on the window frame itself. Look to reinstall the window by holding it up in front of the opening high enough to re-engage the curled top of the window into the curled top over the hinge plate on the window frame. If when installed you lift the window too high it will dis-engage the window unit from the frame again. You should have a support arm that keeps the window assembly from being raised too high that is connected to both the window assembly and the frame. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Chances are, someone removed this window previously and failed to re-attach it properly.

I removed mine sevaral years ago and it was a two-man, two ladder job to re-install. My windows are double-pane, so they're heavy. And the front window is heaviest of all.

To re-install, window must be in the open position, near-vertical (something like 160 degrees) in order for the notches to properly mate completely along the entire length of the window frame.

You may want to R&R a smaller window to see how this clever hinge arrangement words.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Okay, I went out to my trailer to look again. The top curled piece is what fell off, it is what holds the window and creates the gutter above window. Looking at other windows, they were originally spot welded on. I'm not comfortable welding aluminum so I guess I'm going to attempt to reattach using Jb weld or epoxy or something.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I doubt they were spot welded. Airstream din't spot weld it.

Photos would be very helpful to solve this issue…
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Upper window hinge piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noco View Post
Okay, I went out to my trailer to look again. The top curled piece is what fell off, it is what holds the window and creates the gutter above window. Looking at other windows, they were originally spot welded on. I'm not comfortable welding aluminum so I guess I'm going to attempt to reattach using Jb weld or epoxy or something.
Noco, Frank is right! No Airstream (factory) built window unit would ever be attached with any adhesive. Nor were they welding aluminum together at the plant. Don't do that to repair your hinge issue. You should be able to look at the other windows on your trailer and see that factory installed hinge upper piece should be installed with rivets and sealant. If you cannot see this on your coach go look at other Airstream trailers of your same model and year in this forums member photo galleries or go to other sites like VintageAirstream.com. You will find many other sites that have loads of pictures that will provide you with the images that will help you repair this issue the correct way. If this piece was for some reason glued onto your trailer by a previous owner it doesn't mean that that was the correct repair . Without rivets attaching your upper hinge to the trailer I can guarantee you that your window will not stay attached to the trailer. If you will post some pictures of you hinge piece and the area just above your window opening on your trailer it would greatly assist us to correctly diagnose what is going on with your window hinge issue. Hope this helps, and Happy Trails, Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
The trailer is sixty miles away but I inspected all windows yesterday. If anyone is working on a 69, please help. The gutter above the windows also makes up the female side of the window hinge. There are two small rivets to keep the window from sliding out of the hinge, but the piece has no surface area to be riveted to the airstream! There are a series of spot welds on bottom, holding top of hinge and window in place! Every one of my windows has them in clear view. I will get pictures next time I'm out there.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Finally was able to get some pictures. The piece in my hand is what fell off trailer. Where my index finger is is the only area which would fasten to window frame. The top is the gutter, the curved bottom is what holds the window up. The other picture shows the small tack welds holding in place. I'm not going to weld, but clearly I can not rivet, so I'm thinking epoxy or JB weld???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	234720   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	234721  

Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Broken hinge part

Noco, It appears that the part in your hand has stress broken/separated from the aluminum window surround. See if you can locate where it was originally located on the trim edge of the glass window extrusion. It may be that you could have that piece tig welded back together but it would involve being able to dis-assemble the surrounding aluminum from the glass. It might be easier to find a same size window from a scrapped trailer of the same model/year from one of the Rv parts places that deal in scrapped parts sales. You should try Colaws RV parts in Missouri. There is also a parts supply place in Utah that was formerly called CherokeeRv.com that stocked a lot of windows/frames from lots of A/S models. You need either the size measurements or an Airstream part number to have them check the ones they have in stock. This would likely be the best way to fix your issue. Ed
Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150323_085417_154.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	234825
I went out in the yard and examined a window today. The piece you show in your hand is not welded, it is buck riveted onto the top of the sash using 1/8" solid rivets.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:06 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
No frank you are looking at the piece attached to the window, the piece that fell off is what holds the piece you are looking at up, essentially the female end of the hinge which also makes up the gutter above the window. The piece is TOO small to accompany any type of rivet!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
St. Louis , Missouri
Pull your window, any window, completely out. Now the top piece, still attached to the trailer, which was holding that window in, is what fell out, you will not see any rivets in it, other than the one on your picture, which keeps the hinge from sliding out!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #18
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi Noco, I had a quick look at my '69 Safari on my way to work I attempted to take a pic but it was pouring rain. One thing I can tell you that may help though is that the back window on mine is identical to the front one in construction so hopefully you should be able to go back to your trailer and work from that. . In your picture you posted the window I can see has curved corners, is that one of the side windows? My front and back are both flat & rectangular, same kind of hinge system on them though...
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote