Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Need Help! Wheel Fell Off! Lots of Damage!

Hi all,

I own a 1975 Silver Streak travel trailer. I know this is an Airstream website but there isnt a SS forum anywhere and I need some advice as to where to take my Trailer to be fixed. Basically what happened was the wheel disattatched itself from the hub whilst driving and the wheel went under the trailer and ripped up the underside. The frame has damage at the ends and lots of the aluminum belly-pan is torn up. The sewage tank is split and destroyed. I don't know the extent of the plumbing damage, but there could be some pipes broken etc. The Axel itslef looks ok from what I can see. Spindel looks good. Im actually on holiday in the smoky mountains NC and am stranded here for the meantime (not too bad!!). Anyway, I live in Houston Texas and am going to be making my way back there once the wheel is put back on so I can tow it.. Does anyone know a good place that can make sheet metal, welding repairs etc from here to Houston?? My trailer was in A1 condition and I want the job done right so it will be returned to its glory again.... Please help!! I cant bear to see my trailer look like this!!!

Thanks for any help!
jayk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Help on the way....I hope.

Our sympathy!! Where are you in the Smokies. I am sure that when you get exact you will get help. Keep us up dated.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Are you familiar w/ Airstream of Arkansas? Not sure how "on the way" you're wanting.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
We are in Maggie valley, just east of Cherokee. We were real lucky that the wheel didnt fall off when we were coming down the mountains! We pulled out of a gas station and our wheel overtook us!!!. I've spoken to my insurance company and apparantley im covered for the damage, but I really want to get the best job done. I love my trailer and its gone through its life without a scratch, so I want it in good hands. Any advice??
Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Arkansas might be a little out of the way, but if thats what it takes ill do it!! Would an Airstream shop touch this trailer?? I was thinking of NC,SC,GA,FL,AL,LA,TX... The way home...
Old 03-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Forum member RichardT lives in that neck of the woods, near Ashville. You might PM him to see if knows somebody close.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Trailerworks

TrailerWorks is located in Beaufort SC near Savannah GA. They are a vintage trailer restoration shop.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Thanks.. Ill give Trailorworks a call. Just want to make sure the Insurance company will pay first....
Old 03-03-2007, 04:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I know that Safford RV in Thornburg, VA (North of Richmond on I-95) does major sheet metal aluminum work on Airstreams. I get work done there, as it is local. They sell Airstreams and other lines, so I don't think they would turn away your Silver Streak. Their Airstream trained technician showed me before and after photos of a repair to an Airstream that had the entire rear left corner crushed by a tree. He repaired the frame and rivetted sheet metal. It looked like new. I think he said about $10K for the work. Hopefully you have some insurance.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #10
Gold Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Fuquay , North Carolina
If you can make it over to Greensboro NC i think its about 150 - 200 from Maggie Valley you have a Airstream dealer that has a good sized shop... they are at exit 208 on I-40.

Out of Doors Mart..
www.outofdoorsmart.com

Good Luck.

(why do i have to press 1 for english??)
tgregory13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Most of the good shops have a backlog of work so I would start making phone calls before driving much out of the way.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm so sorry to hear of your mishap...it's one of my worst nightmares being a single axle trailer...

So am I the first ghoul to want to see pictures?

Hope your baby is nback to normal ASAP!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I'm so sorry to hear of your mishap...it's one of my worst nightmares being a single axle trailer...

So am I the first ghoul to want to see pictures?

Hope your baby is nback to normal ASAP!

Shari
Well, finally, someone asked for pics. I was trying to be really nice and not, but it was driving me crazy. I also have a single axle and like Shari the thought of losing a wheel is always somewhere in the back of my mind. But I'm sure glad I wasn't the first one to ask .

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Hi,

Ill try to get some pics out later on. I have no idea how much it will cost to fix. I think the wheel/axel is OK, but the whole rear underbelly is going to have to be replaced. Also the wheel well which is part of the frame is crushed + septic tank + Plumbing... I just hope the insurance company dont write it off!!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need Help! Wheel Fell Off! Lots of Damage!

Greetings jayk47!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk47
Hi,

Ill try to get some pics out later on. I have no idea how much it will cost to fix. I think the wheel/axel is OK, but the whole rear underbelly is going to have to be replaced. Also the wheel well which is part of the frame is crushed + septic tank + Plumbing... I just hope the insurance company dont write it off!!
Sorry to hear about your problem. While I can't help much with locating a shop in your current location, I might suggest finding a shop that can make "temporary" repairs to get you home {inspect frame to verify that it wasn't damaged to the point of impairing safety as well as inspecting/repairing any damage to axle(s) to insure that the unexpected wheel departure won't happen again -- would also probably be a good idea to have all wheels on the coach inspected to be sure that the same thing might not be just a few miles away from happening with one of the other wheels}. I haven't had to do this with my Airstream or Argosy, but have had to do this with my collector cars. It will likely be much easire to negoatiate (battle?) your insurance company from the security of your homebase -- it would also give you the opportunity to fully check the references of any shop that you consider. Depending upon the "ground-work" that was done when your insurance policy was written, you may need to be prepared to establish a "fair market value" for your coach --receipts for purchase price and any major repairs can help with this issue. You may also need to try to locate data on recent sales of comparable coaches to establish a market value greater than what most insurance companies automatically assign to an RV that is more than 20 years old (often the automatic value is something in the range of $2,500).

I had a minor accident with my Overlander more than a decade ago that involved a scrape with a gatepost (over $2,000 in damage) -- fortunately, the damage didn't impact towability. I had stated value insurance from an agent that I knew and trusted -- even with his help the claims process required that I establish that the coach was worth at least $6,000 before the repair would be authorized. I was fortunate in that the dealer handling my repair had handled all of my regular repairs as well as major repairs -- his help was invaluable as his shop had been in business for several decadeds and his statement of value for the coach was the key that resulted in the final successful resolution of the claim.

Good luck with your repairs!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregory13
If you can make it over to Greensboro NC i think its about 150 - 200 from Maggie Valley you have a Airstream dealer that has a good sized shop... they are at exit 208 on I-40.

Out of Doors Mart..
www.outofdoorsmart.com

Good Luck.
I've heard several members here on the forum say good things about this place. Good Luck!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Hi,

Im having a little trouble getting pics on this site. I spoke with the insurance company and it is fully covered for damages. They said it would be best if it was brought back to Houston and we find somewhere nearby to fix it. I think the process of the insurance company dealing with the damages will take a lot longer than we can manage on our trip... Anyone know of a good place on a 200 mile range of Houston??
Old 03-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk47
Hi,

Im having a little trouble getting pics on this site. I spoke with the insurance company and it is fully covered for damages. They said it would be best if it was brought back to Houston and we find somewhere nearby to fix it. I think the process of the insurance company dealing with the damages will take a lot longer than we can manage on our trip... Anyone know of a good place on a 200 mile range of Houston??
Give these guys a call.

Bob Jones RV

I have not taken anything there to be fixed, but have purchased several parts from them over the phone. Everyone I talked with (Carlton comes to mind as one of the fellows, there were a couple of more) was extremely knowledgable about the ins and outs of older airstreams.

I think they were an Airstream dealer in the past, and many of the "old guys" are still with the organization.

Luck - keep us posted.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
I agree duct tape and baling wire, get it home and deal with ins. and repairs after holiday. don't know of any ins. co that won't start claim & settle at later date. lost wheel usually means bearing went (last time packed ?) if so close inspection by good tec. is ness. as may have overheated or scored spindle. torsion or sprung axle? in either case a new axle is in order for safe travel. streamline and silver streak i've seen run hayes 12/2 brakes on tor. ax. if so call southwest wheel for advice 1-800-866-3336 .
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
here are some pics of the damage.... As you can see its a bit of a mess! Im just glad its underneath and doesn't detract too much from the overall shape. Ive sent some correspondance to 'Bob Jones RV' and also 'Eric' at vintagetxtrailers.com (Does anyone know of these guys???)... Ill wait to see what they have to say... Im going to have all the wheels packed before i get on the road again (hopefully)... Ill let these guys assess the extent of the damage when (if) I get it back to Houston. As I said before, im a little bit 'in the sticks' in the Smokies . Thanks for everybodys advice and help. . Im just glad the wheel didn't fall off when I was going over the Top of the Appalachians!! Could of been a real mess!!

Oh.. yeh... ive discovered smilies they rule
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030492.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	33395   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030497.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	33396  

Click image for larger version