Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
Difficulty opening windows

The windows on my Argosy are difficult to open. I have to unlatch them from the inside, then pry them open from the outside. They don't seem stuck. They open easily from the outside. The arms just won't move them from the inside. Are the Window Position Guides the cause of the difficulty? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sally
__________________

__________________
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
funkill's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,447
Images: 27
Mine are kinda hard too --- and I used to open them from the outside UNTIL I changed my axles. Now the trailer is too high for me to reach & open them effectively.

If I get into just the right position, hold my tongue correctly, then I can get the windows to open ... otherwise, it's a struggle. Seems like I just don't have the strength.

Hoping someone will respond to your inquiry with a resolution.

Laura
__________________

__________________
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
kevin242's Avatar
 
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 393
Images: 15
Our 1977 Airstream has position stops on each window arm. We have to push both arms slightly inward at the same time we push outward for the windows to open. This is the way they are designed to work. If yours are the same design, failing to push inward would make them seem incredibly hard to move.
__________________
Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
The windows on my Argosy are difficult to open. I have to unlatch them from the inside, then pry them open from the outside. They don't seem stuck. They open easily from the outside. The arms just won't move them from the inside. Are the Window Position Guides the cause of the difficulty? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sally
Sally.

It's a function of exactly which direction you initially push the window arms.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sally.

It's a function of exactly which direction you initially push the window arms.

Andy
Exactly which direction should I initially push the window arms?
__________________
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,140
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
They are tricky!

Once you unlock the window, lift the handles on each side of the window. Push out and up at the same time. It takes a little practice. This is one of the things that I thought AS would have improved over the years, but they haven't. It is somewhat more difficult when you have to reach over the counter or while you are on your knees on the bunk or couch. Try practicing on a window that you have easy access to. Good Luck
__________________
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Once you unlock the window, lift the handles on each side of the window. Push out and up at the same time. It takes a little practice. This is one of the things that I thought AS would have improved over the years, but they haven't. It is somewhat more difficult when you have to reach over the counter or while you are on your knees on the bunk or couch. Try practicing on a window that you have easy access to. Good Luck
Out and Up, Out and Up, Out and Up. I'll try that!! Thanks.
__________________
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
AIR-Quarius's Avatar
 
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,752
Images: 39
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The big window over the couch is awkward for us and almost takes two people to hold both lifters, because of the way you sort of have to bend over, stick out your butt for balance, and keep from falling down on the couch at the same time. ...
__________________
http://customrvdecalplus.com
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
The big window over the couch is awkward for us and almost takes two people to hold both lifters, because of the way you sort of have to bend over, stick out your butt for balance, and keep from falling down on the couch at the same time. ...
Thanks redhawker, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that finds the window opening process challenging.
__________________
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin242 View Post
Our 1977 Airstream has position stops on each window arm. We have to push both arms slightly inward at the same time we push outward for the windows to open. This is the way they are designed to work. If yours are the same design, failing to push inward would make them seem incredibly hard to move.
I think I've tried every possible combination of up,out, in... but I'll definitely make sure I try the "in (as in squeeze towards each other?) and out." Thanks Kevin!!
__________________
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
Did you just replace the window gaskets? Ours began to stick after we did - rubbing the gasket and frame down with silicone spray lube helped.....
__________________
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
No Gary, we haven't done anything to them but clean them. But when we do replace the gaskets I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!!
__________________
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
kevin242's Avatar
 
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 393
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
I think I've tried every possible combination of up,out, in... but I'll definitely make sure I try the "in (as in squeeze towards each other?) and out." Thanks Kevin!!
Exactly. Arms pushing slightly inward toward the center of the glass, then push to open... IF Argosy mechanisms are the same as in our 1977 AS. . Good luck.
__________________
Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
RV H-D Lady's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 171
UPDATE _ the more the windows have been opened, the easier it has become. I think the POs NEVER opened them.
__________________

RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opening Day? DanB Off Topic Forum 5 02-06-2010 02:44 PM
Operating question - opening windows willyd Windows & Screens 4 08-02-2008 11:16 AM
Difficulty posting afinpdx Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 4 08-18-2005 06:16 PM
having difficulty renting an Airstream lloyd cicetti Our Community 6 03-25-2004 04:00 PM
Opening my awning kooblekidz Airstream Motorhome Forums 5 03-06-2003 11:10 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.