Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #1

screen door on '75

How can you remove the screen door without removing hindges. I thought you could just drive the pins out but there is no hole on the bottom. Please give some input I would like to take the screen door to have the screen replaced..
I am new to Airstream this is my first post but I would be willing to help anyone anyway I can as I learn more about the airstream.

Thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Gilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilley
How can you remove the screen door without removing hindges.
Hi Wayne, Welcome to the forums

Sorry nobody more experienced seems to have noticed your post !?

After looking at my door it seems that the way to get it off would be to drill out the rivets. But since you are simply fixing the screen I'm sure that can be done in place. I need to fix my door screen and I was thinking of clamping the screen door tight to the main door before working in the bead for attaching the screen.

Good luck,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Wayne, I'll have to look again tomorrow in the daylight and without the pouring rain, but my screen (I'm almost sure) can be replaced without removing the door. My door, I think, uses the same screen materials that current day window screens in my house uses.

Basically, a metal frame, screen and rubber "piping" that hold the screen to the frame. I'll try to check tomorrow and get back.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Wayne,
If your screen door is like the one on my '77 Excella 500 31' then all you have to do is go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up some fiberglass or nylon screen to match the color you have now. You will also need new rubber screening spline which holds the screen in place and a tool that has a wheel on each end. I think the spline is .125" and usually comes in 25' or longer lengths. I chose gray rather than black. It is just standard screen repair materials and is easy to do. Have someone help you lay the new screen over the area you are going to re-screen and carefully cut about 3/4-1" wider than the border area. This will allow the screen to be depressed within the trough by the rubber spline. After you have worked the spline in with the wheeled tool, cut the spline as it ends where you began. Be careful with the tool because it has a habit of cutting the screen if you are not careful. Good luck.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

For those of you who travel with small children or pets Lowe's has a "pet-proof" screen that is virtually untearable!
I will take a picture of the wrapper for you if you would like to see it. That way you know what to look for.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gilley
How can you remove the screen door without removing hindges. I thought you could just drive the pins out but there is no hole on the bottom. Please give some input I would like to take the screen door to have the screen replaced..
I am new to Airstream this is my first post but I would be willing to help anyone anyway I can as I learn more about the airstream.

Thanks,
Wayne
Welcome! You may not want to remove the door unless absolutely have to?
I have a 75 Trade wind, just looked at the door. There is piping...
You can remove it by drilling out the rivets, that will make your job harder to get everything aligned
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote