Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Locking airstream door from the inside

When I bought my airstream the door had a latch and padlock on it. It came with the trailer. I plan someday to get the orginal door lock fixed but that project is on the back burner. We have been using the padlock on the latch so people cannot break in. It works well.

I want to know how people lock their airstreams from in the inside when you are sleeping. Has anybody come up with a make shift lock for when you are inside so nobody can break in at night. I am going to post a picture of the type of lock we have on the outside. That will stay on until I am ready to fix the door correctly.

Brian

Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Your original lock is/was the same as mine. The lock has a lever to lock the mechanism from the inside. The use of the lock depends on our location.

The lock and hasp you currently use could easily be used to lock you inside the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
When I bought my airstream the door had a latch and padlock on it. It came with the trailer. I plan someday to get the orginal door lock fixed but that project is on the back burner. We have been using the padlock on the latch so people cannot break in. It works well.

I want to know how people lock their airstreams from in the inside when you are sleeping. Has anybody come up with a make shift lock for when you are inside so nobody can break in at night. I am going to post a picture of the type of lock we have on the outside. That will stay on until I am ready to fix the door correctly.

Brian

Brian.

There is a huge SAFETY FACTOR with your exterior lock.

Anybody, at any time, for any reason, can put a pin or a small stick the that lock.

Should you happen to be on the inside, you will not be able to open the entrance door. But, you could open the window, push out the screen, and remove the pin or stick.

BUT if they put some type of lock in that hasp hole, you will probably find that you have a bigger problem than you wish to have.

Fix the entrance door lock, and, get rid of that hasp.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Brian;
Whatever you do to lock in at night, remember the need for rapid egress-gettin' the heck out of Dodge quickly. The red nob on the inside flips over quickly and allows you out and nobody in. A simple alternative might be a couple of "L" brackets with a pipe across the inside, like in the Old West cabins....

Another is to have a recording of a 12 guage shotgun chambering a round, along with a deep voice saying "Who's there?"...
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I agree about the safety factor. I usally take the lock and put it on with out the latch. That way if somebody trys to lock me in they cannot put the latch on because the lock is in the way. If they try to lock me in using another method my two canine alarm clocks will go off and then I will be in defensive mode. I have a back up plan and 911. I figure if somebody is trying to do some harm to us I will be in full defense mode.

I really want to get the lock fixed but I want it to be done professionally. I want somebody experienced with those type of locks to repair it. I have not found anybody close to where I live. I am not a lock smith and it is obvious the past owner tryed a screw driver on the lock.

Brian
Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Here is what I think is ideal. This lock was installed I think original, being the way it was installed. I agree with Andy, loose the hasp lock outside, NG!

Bill

airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Here is what I think is ideal. This lock was installed I think original, being the way it was installed. I agree with Andy, loose the hasp lock outside, NG!

Bill

That dead bolt lock was used in 1967 models. But as I recall, it was a travel lock.

From the outside, you could engage or disengage the lock.

But, from the inside, you could only disengage the deadbolt. It was designed so that the locking could only take place from the outside.

At least that's the way it was in the 67 models.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote