RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
Question Door locking by itself!

Has anyone else had this problem? The door will lock on it's own. Luckily, the first time it happened, one of our friends children was in it and he didn't know how to get out. Luckily we had one of our windows opened and were able to walk him through sliding the nobs over to get him out (he's only 5 or 6). But it has happened a couple other times, too. I'm wondering if the slamming of the door moves the lever over and it will eventually lock itself! Unfortunately, we were only given 1 key that opens that lock. We tried to have another made, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Locked behind me too

I have had the same thing happen on my '03 Safari 25 SS. Luckily, the first time it happened was in the driveway at home so I was able to use the second key provided. During a couple more times of this happening, and still in the driveway, I noticed the cause. For some odd reason, when you rest your right hand on the handle and make your exit, somehow, a rocking motion of your hand is just touching the locking lever and kicking it forward. Before you know it, you've exited and closed the door in one smooth motion...already locked!
I've since made duplicate keys of the main lock as well as deadbolt and hide them in a hide-a-key on my TV. I've used the keys twice since then.
BTW, I had no trouble making a duplicate of the main lock key but the deadbolt was very hard to reproduce with commercially available kiosks. I was finally able to get one really, really close and then take it home to finish it up by filing a bit more off the shoulder. Not really hard, just had to put them side by side and see exactly where the differences were and adjust. I'll get the code of the key if interested. And no, my dealer wasn't able to produce additional duplicate keys.
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have done it often just as described. Now we too keep spare keys in the tv, but I think I would like to get a hideakey or lock box as John Irwin has suggested. I also read some where that someone puts something in the slot to prevent the latch from moving over without removing it. I even had to have a lock smith out in Sarasota Florida at a rally before I knew to carry extras. ARGH!!! I also often find myself no longer closing the door hard when I exit unless I am leaving the AS with keys in hand.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
This happened to me and a fellow WBCCI'er. I fortunately had the key in the TV. Now, I never close the door unless the key is in my hand.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
fair haven , New Jersey
you're not alone

Oh my - we had the same problem, which happened several times. The second time, we were all in the trailer (a 2006 25' Safari), and we couldn't unlock it from the inside! My husband had to crawl out of the emergency window and unlock it from the outside. Did anyone happen to notice if it is more of a problem with the trailer is jacked up quite a bit on one end?

As with some of the other "bugs" we've had to contend with (cabinet doors falling off, DVD player not working), the dealer claims it's a problem unique to us. hmmmmmm. . .
Syl
mother ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

Yes - this happened early this summer - exactly as described - almost.

My wife had flown home the day before.

I woke early (as usual) - and stepped out to enjoy the peace and quiet of an early morning sunrise.

Couldn't get back in - the door was locked.

I also had a spare set of keys in the TV glove box - but the vehicle was also locked - sort of.

I had locked it the lazy way the night before - from inside the trailer - but had not checked to make sure the windows were down - so I was lucky the vehicle was locked but the drivers side window was down.

Great.

Except for the security system.

If I dared try to open the locked vehicle from the inside it would go off - and this was REALLY early in the morning in a busy, but very quiet campground.

Seemed simple enough - just lean through the open window to the other side - get the key - and back out.

Right.

Well - I should point out that I passed the peak of my youthful physical perfection some time (decades) ago - my abdomen is not exactly a six-pack anymore - in fact there is just one ab - and it's a little too large to make this feat anything less than an Olympic undertaking.

To make a long story short - I did get the keys - the alarm didn't go off - but it was damn entertaining to anyone watching. Something about pale legs flopping helplessly in the air while you're trying to get your gut back through the window opening ....

My only saving grace was the early morning hour.

Lessons in humility are tough ...

I've since purchased a magnetic key holder ....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Safari Lockout

I, too, have had the door lock on me when exiting several times. Thank God, I always had the key. On the most rececent instance, I happened to notice that my hand brushed the lock lever into the "lock" position. I now keep a spare set of keys concealed in the bumper of the Airstream.

Brian McCabe
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote