Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Door Won’t Shut

Hi all. I’m a new Airstream owner and am trying to come to terms with the wonderful entry door that gets so much praise and adoration in Patrick’s Colonial Airstream videos. However, I am struggling to find the much bragged about quality. The screen door latching mechanism appears cheap, the deadbolt won’t engage unless I apply heavy pressure to push the door in and I can’t latch it from inside the trailer, and the door is difficult to shut sometimes. I’ve had the trailer since June and had the door adjusted so the deadbolt would work better but within a few days I couldn’t use the deadbolt without having to apply pressure to outside of the door again. Now that the temperature has dropped the door is difficult to shut and will not latch normally without a good hard slam. Today, with a temperature of about 43°F this morning, the door just fails to shut at all. See linked videos. Any advice on how to keep this door functioning normally would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/_BJSdAgr358
Lamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Mine closes better when perfectly level.

Also, if I tighten the two screws in the deadbolt past a certain point, I can't engage it. I'm going to have it just snug and use some blue Locktite on the threads. I'd like a spacer inside the door, so I can tighten the screws tight, but can't figure out how to get it in.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Here is the Airstream youtube video on how to adjust the door.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
Watched your video it’s hard to tell but it looks like the latches maybe striking the head of the striker bolt, you can determine that by using a flashlight and pushing the door closed up to the striker and seeing where it’s hitting at the same time check to see if the center of the two latches are hitting the center of the striker, further check to ensure that your hinges are tight you’ll be able to tell while attempting to close the door the hinges will move, it maybe necessary to tighten those or to loosen those to adjust your door, there is a great video on YouTube which demos how to adjust your door as well as the screen door, now having said all that, I had the exact same problem with my door when new I watched the video read on this forum and adjusted the door myself even to the extent of moving the striker bolt lower so it was center with the latches. Also is your AS level if not that also could effect door closure I’m sure your aware to never use the stabilizing jacks to level your unit it will tweak the frame thus resulting in door problems. Now your unit is new you also can return to the dealer and that advice will be forthcoming on the forum as for me I’m a DIY kinda guy and my dealers service dept was a train wreck I kinda consider our unit as a hobby as well. I hope I was helpful.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
I'd make sure the stabilizer jacks are all up or just barely touching the ground, see if that helps. If not then do the minimum to get the door to latch enough to tow the trailer to Southland RV in Duluth, Georgia. They'll fix you up.

Just stay out of Atlanta rush hour traffic!
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Our door doesn't seal at the bottom. The dead bolt does the same and has to be shut hard as stated by Lamar. The dealer we purchased from tried to correct door problems but there was no improvement. We have a appointment at JC in January to let the service center attempt to fix.
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Thanks all for the quick reply’s. I rarely use the stabilizer jacks. The Airstream suspension is much less bouncy than my previous travel trailer. I’ve done the travel trailer thing for quite some time as well so definitely I am aware about not using them to lift the trailer. My striker bolt is high on the door latches but it appears to clear. It seems like the door won’t go far enough onto the striker bolt to allow the latch claws to close. I’m going review the videos and info here and give it another go in a bit. Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Update - The sun is now hitting the door. It has warmed it up a bit and it will shut with a solid swing. I talked to the dealer (Southland) and they said the striker bolt likely needed adjusting out a bit. It was fine vertically but It looked like it was hitting very close to the head flats and that could have been the issue. Thanks again for all the quick responses.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Zeppelin View Post
I'd make sure the stabilizer jacks are all up or just barely touching the ground, see if that helps. If not then do the minimum to get the door to latch enough to tow the trailer to Southland RV in Duluth, Georgia. They'll fix you up.

Just stay out of Atlanta rush hour traffic!

LOL. Yeah, I avoid Atlanta at rush hour like the plague......
Old 12-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tarrytown , Georgia
Hi all. I thought I ought to post the fix for this to close the loop. A little late but......
It turned out I had to back the striker bolt out about a turn and put a thicker washer in. There wasn’t quite enough clearance between the hex head and the latching claws. When it was cold I guess the door contracted just enough that those claws wouldn’t clear the bottom of the hex head. Since I’ve done that I’ve had no issues.

Thanks all for the quick responses that morning!!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
LOL. Yeah, I avoid Atlanta at rush hour like the plague......
You will be fine in Atlanta, I used to live in Marietta, Lawrenceville, Lithonia, Dallas, and Smyrna. Just don't come to Los Angeles.

I drove through Los Angeles with Airstream, most drivers see the Airstream and really keep their distance well. Probably because they can't afford to pay for the damages after their insurance pay.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote