Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Craftsman

Unhappy Door windows vs. no door windows?

My 31' 1976 Sovereign doesnt have a window in the door. On smaller units this to me doesn't look bad but on the larger units the window in the door just asthetically looks better. I've looked through the photo archives and I came across a 31' 76 that has the window in the door and I've come across photos of 76's and 77's without. (no 75's) What year did Aistream start putting windows in the doors of the Sovereigns, Early on, was it an option? As you can tell I'd like to have a window in the door of my Sovereign. Anyone with experience adding a window or should I look for a door from a junker?

Thanks
Jack
Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
I just bought a 78 25' Tradewind that has a window in the door! My 78 sovereign 31' has no window! Maybe an option? Replacing the door is major work!
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I'm working on putting one on my 67, but it will be a cutom job all the way. I have to re-skin my door anyway, so I figured "Why not"
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

I want to find a door from a 1980-82 Caravelle 20 footer. Or something like it.
Those had the windows in the doors.
I want to replace the one on my Minuet.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmissar
I just bought a 78 25' Tradewind that has a window in the door! My 78 sovereign 31' has no window! Maybe an option?
It may also be a CA vs Ohio thing...it seems there are more CA Airstreams with jalousie windows vs OH with fixed pane. Maybe the windows in the doors follow suit...then again, maybe not.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
It may also be a CA vs Ohio thing...it seems there are more CA Airstreams with jalousie windows vs OH with fixed pane. Maybe the windows in the doors follow suit...then again, maybe not.

Shari
Good thread!
I am not sure if they would follow along those lines or not. The sealed radius windows were not really popular until the early 80's. Maybe the late 70's but I have not seen any of them myself.
Thanks, Shari.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
one differance between my two 1978 trailers is that the 25' Tradewind has double pane windows with a window in the door and my 31' Sovereign has single pane windows with no window in door.
Looking at MY OPTIONS SHEET 1978 MODELS the answer is "Main door with nitro Pane window" $116.40 retail
I had the answer in front of me all the time!
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Yes this is a good subject but so far no cigar on any definitive answers overall.
  • First Craftsman how bout asking a Moderator* to change the subject title to "Door Windows vs. No Door Windows" This question is larger than just the Sovereign crowd and your title may discourage some from looking into the thread.
Obviously from the PMissar's document the window was an option at one time in '78.
  • pmissar would you be able to post a copy of that sheet? or perhaps send me a copy of it snail mail? If willing please PM me. What other literature do you have concerning the 78s or any other year?
  • patterson what do you mean by a "sealed radius" window?
The jaloise window vs fixed glass is also a subject that deserves an accurate discussion as to when and why they changed. That could be handled here or in another thread.

This could develop into a valuable (and interesting) thread.

Flicka

* As required by the Thought Police Patriot Act of 4-2005
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
Craftsman

I say "Change the title". It would be interesting to know when Airstream began putting, or offering windows in the doors and on which models starting in what year. It seems to me I saw a photo of a 77 Sovereign with a door window. Was that an option? At some point someone needs to write a serious book on Airstream noting the changes with each model and year. Nice pictures would be O.K. too.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
_

. , .
adding a window to the door

craftsman

my 79 as motorhome came with a solid door. as part of an extreme make over i had a sealed radius double glass window added to the door it was exact size of galley windows and looked great. also had a built in shade and some sort of moisture absorbing crystals between the 2 layers of glass. looked original (except it no longer matched the picture on the owners manual) and the added light was significant.

i also had a single glass pop out screened window added to the shower /curb side wall. again the same size as the others but this window was mirrored one way so no one could see in but added great light to the shower (there was no skylight) and a way to vent humidity or allow a nice breeze during hot summer days/showers. was done in such a way that water couldn't get into the wall space and well worth the cost...for both windows.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
This is a good thread.
I would like to see some pictures posted from those who already have windows or are in the process of installing one, as I am also interested in installing one on my Traveler. I have a son who owns a glass business in Albuquerque N.M. and he could possibly make one for me with frame and all but he would need pictures and dimensions. Thank to all.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
I really like the round window in Vintage Vacations' '61 Globetrotter. http://www.vintage-vacations.com/61airstream_1.htm

I am not sure I am up to doing something like that myself. Would love to have one though.

Kaye
Old 04-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
My 74 International 32' had a solid door.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
My '75 Trade Wind has no window in the door. But it does have 3 to the front side of it. Plenty of light, some times too much, if ya know what I mean
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Yes this is a good subject but so far no cigar on any definitive answers overall.
  • First Craftsman how bout asking a Moderator* to change the subject title to "Door Windows vs. No Door Windows" This question is larger than just the Sovereign crowd and your title may discourage some from looking into the thread.
Obviously from the PMissar's document the window was an option at one time in '78.
  • pmissar would you be able to post a copy of that sheet? or perhaps send me a copy of it snail mail? If willing please PM me. What other literature do you have concerning the 78s or any other year?
  • patterson what do you mean by a "sealed radius" window?
The jaloise window vs fixed glass is also a subject that deserves an accurate discussion as to when and why they changed. That could be handled here or in another thread.

Flicka

* As required by the Thought Police Patriot Act of 4-2005
I now have a copy of the options sheet for the 1978 Airstream line.
The door window was offered as an option then. I know that it was not offered on the 1973. My dad ordered every possible option on his 1973 Sov. LY, incuding the International package. It has EVERYTHING including the optional L-Gaucho up front and the optional mid-ship queen bed. Loaded to the hilt.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Yes this is a good subject but so far no cigar on any definitive answers overall.[list][list][*]patterson what do you mean by a "sealed radius" window?

Flicka
Flicka,
A sealed radius window has been made for years. Hehr made them by the millions for the SOB market. They still do.
Any "rounded" window could be considered a sealed radius window. I have always referred to them as a sealed radius window.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:10 AM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I have one for sale

I have a window for the door but it is opaque glass, (like a bathroom glass) you cant see through it but all of the light and you can see if some one is at the door.

It has all of the frame and is not that hard to install, cut hole in door and rivet frames on each side of door.

130 dollars and shipping.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Well Smily hows about a "rest of the story" to go with your sales pitch.

What did it come off of (model) and how did you end up with it?
What became of the door it is out of?
Do you think the opaque is stock or a re-glaze. I hope it is tempered or safety.

thanks
Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
My 31' 1976 Sovereign doesnt have a window in the door. On smaller units this to me doesn't look bad but on the larger units the window in the door just asthetically looks better. I've looked through the photo archives and I came across a 31' 76 that has the window in the door and I've come across photos of 76's and 77's without. (no 75's) What year did Aistream start putting windows in the doors of the Sovereigns, Early on, was it an option? As you can tell I'd like to have a window in the door of my Sovereign. Anyone with experience adding a window or should I look for a door from a junker? Thanks, Jack
Hi Jack:

The 1977 Airstream catalog states a [fixed] window in the door is a "new for 1977" option, apparently available on all trailers at extra cost. "A new window in the main door brings more light into the living area while allowing you to see out."

It is not mentioned in the 1976 catalog. Airstream model years are not calendar years, but begin about 6 months earlier. So, the fixed window in door option may have appeared on trailers beginning in mid summer 1976. Some of those trailers may have been reigistered with states during 1976 as 1976 instead of 1977 trailers. Or, maybe the fixed window on door option was available on some 1976 model year trailers before the 1977 model year began.

Fifteen years earlier, the 1961-63 Bambi had a jalousie window in the main door as the only curb side window. In the early years it was optional with the then standard door-within-a door, but in the later years it may have been the standard door feature for Bambis only. The 1964 Bambi II also had a jalousie window in the door, but it supplemented a curb side galley window. Offhand, I can't think of any other pre-1977 trailers that had a window within a door as opposed to a door within a door, which last appeared in 1964.

Incidentially, we have a small Bambi-rama building at our 2005 Rocky Mt. VAC Rally with 5 now signed up: a 2002 19 footer, a 1961 16 footer, and three 1964 17' Bambi IIs. It will be fun comparing them to each other.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Yowsah, yowsah, yowsah, get your window here

Are you interested in the window?

I dont know what model it came off of. It is stock opaque and not a glaze
It was actually a Bathroom window and not specifically for a door. And seeing that it is still attached to the Sheetmetal (aluminum skin of Airstream) that it came from I would venture to say it is tempered. (OEM Airstream).
I bought it with intentions of installing in the door of a 79 Sovereign I once owned, I sold the Sovereign before I got a chance to install the window.

I do have the interior and exterior frame. they are still riveted to the skin. Skin was cut from Airstream. All parts are accounted for including the rivets

Quote:
Well Smily hows about a "rest of the story" to go with your sales pitch.

What did it come off of (model) and how did you end up with it?
What became of the door it is out of?
Do you think the opaque is stock or a re-glaze. I hope it is tempered or safety.

thanks
Flicka
smily is offline   Reply With Quote