Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
75 overlander entry door

I'm helping a friend fix the door on his overlander- I don't know anything about airstreams but have tons of sheet metal experience- so I felt pretty confident I could do this- I'm trying to find out how (the correct order & any tips or tricks) to reinstall the skins. I've reformed the frame, I've cut new outer skins, will be cutting out new inner skins, made the stiffeners and the hat channel for the lock mechanism. I have not drilled any new holes other than the 1/4" for hinges and the cutout for the lock/latch assembly. The door is off of the trailer, and the outer skins are mostly in place- I'm hesitant to start shooting rivets until I find some information on the doors- I'm basically guessing at the process and am worried that it might not work right once it's all back together. if anybody has door re-skinning advice I'd love to hear it- this is becoming quite stressful and I'm basically doing the job for waaaaaaaaaaay too cheap (about $3hr now- I quoted one price and have put many more hours in than I thought it would take)
mattmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome to the Forums. I did this several years ago. it is detailed in my thread below. Basically you want the frame centered in the trailer door cutout and the frame contoured to match the trailer. Start drilling the skin and clecoing in place and checking the door for fit several times. Once you are happy with the fit rivet the skin on wet with sealant. Hang the door again and check the fit again as the contour can still be slightly adjusted. The inner skin is what locks it all together and creates a torque box effect. The inner skin will be shot on with blind rivets, again checking many times for fit as you go. The door can be hung after the outer skin is shot on making the fit check easier. I cut my exterior skin big and trimmed for the reveal after the door was hung.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Welcome to the Forums. I did this several years ago. it is detailed in my thread below. Basically you want the frame centered in the trailer door cutout and the frame contoured to match the trailer. Start drilling the skin and clecoing in place and checking the door for fit several times. Once you are happy with the fit rivet the skin on wet with sealant. Hang the door again and check the fit again as the contour can still be slightly adjusted. The inner skin is what locks it all together and creates a torque box effect. The inner skin will be shot on with blind rivets, again checking many times for fit as you go. The door can be hung after the outer skin is shot on making the fit check easier. I cut my exterior skin big and trimmed for the reveal after the door was hung.
Awesome! Thank you so much- I noticed that you are aircraft sheet metal- (so you know what 2a753 is) I started out sheet metal on b-52 at barksdale (I currently build helicopters)
Old 10-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
They changed the AFAC’s at some point. I was a 42755
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I started on F-105G’s
Old 10-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Quote:
I started on F-105G’s
Cool! now I'm thinking I might need to remake the outer skins- I pretty much used the old skin as a template but some areas around the frame seem just a little shy- I think starting from Scratch on the skin might be the better choice. Also my computer is down at the moment so I'm only using my phone and the app- I can't find the link you mentioned regarding your reskinning job
Old 11-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f416...nte-26902.html
Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Quote:
Not sure if it a mistake but this link takes me to a query about zolatone and interior vinyl repair- (I still greatly appreciate your help)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
aerowood's thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt View Post
Not sure if it a mistake but this link takes me to a query about zolatone and interior vinyl repair- (I still greatly appreciate your help)
it's further on in the thread. this dude is a wizard, well worth trolling through his entire thread.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
it's further on in the thread. this dude is a wizard, well worth trolling through his entire thread.
It must be because I'm accessing it through my phone- only shows a couple posts- last one I can see says "call in the morning" with the 800 number
Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The name of the thread is” 71 Globetrotter Full Monte”
Old 11-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Finally found it! It's the air forum app that wouldn't take me there- 45 pages.. wow- I'll be sure to get into that read asap!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post

I’m no wizard guys, I put my pants on one leg at a time just like you, I’ve just been doing aircraft sheet metal work for a long, long time. Bucked my first rivet in 1975.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Quote:
I’m no wizard guys, I put my pants on one leg at a time just like you, I’ve just been doing aircraft sheet metal work for a long, long time. Bucked my first rivet in 1975.
Wizardry! I put my pants on inside out and both legs at the same time! I was born in 77 so you have just a bit more experience than I have- bucked first rivet in 97
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Ok one more thing- I'm not the owner of this airstream, I'm only doing the door repair- do you cover the main entry door reskinning in the 71 full monte thread? I'm skimming through looking for it.. also I think I'd rather do a butt-joint than a lap-joint for the outer door skins..but not sure if the extra row(s) of rivets for a doubler would be an eyesore- I guess I should talk to the owner to see what he thinks
Old 11-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The door resin is there somewhere. A lap seam will match the rest of the trailer. If you do decide to go with the lap make sure it matches the lap on the skins forward and aft of the door.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Quick question- hypothetically speaking, what would you charge (rather, what should I have charged) to remove damage skins, rework the frame into shape, cut new skins (inner and outer) remake the z angles and the hat channel, and rework the latch catch? Labor only.. I'm not very good at estimating how long this would take- thanks aerowood for the insights -your full monte build is legit!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The door project took me awhile. I️ had a friend weld the frame and I’m not sure how long that took, around 4 I’d guess. I️ spent around 12 hours on the new latch. 1 hour making new center channel. 10 to 12 on the exterior skin and 8 to 10 on the interior skin. Most likely 6 hours on the door gaps and final fit. I️ also spent a couple of hours on the striker.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:49 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

shreveport , Alabama
Sounds like I'm on track hour wise... Thank you!