Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #361
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
A 2 GHz signal is more than enough bandwidth to max out a cellular WIFI connection between the BR1 and the cell tower. The 5 GHz is only between your router and your device and by using your own router and ethernet connection to the BR1 you are getting around the BR1 WIFI connection. I thought the problem with the BR1 was the WIFI connection was being slowed down because it searching for additional WIFI connections. I was under the impression that the slow down of the WIFI connection on the BR1 was fixed with the latest software release.
No that is not correct. 2.4 GHz will not run as fast as using the 5 GHz. The Peplink is limited to 24 MB down also. If you get 8 mb down on the peplink, you will get 18 mb down on the 5 GHz link. I've run as high as 64 MB down using the second router. I've never gotten over 24 mb down using the peplink.

All these numbers seem way higher than you will ever need until you get to a place where the cell is providing only 2 Mb down. With the 5 GHz router you will get 5 MB down and enough to stream video.

The other slowdown problem is the Campground "feature" where the modem can decide what signal to use, the cell or campground WiFi (WiFi as WAN). Whichever is faster. With only one radio to transmit into your trailer it gets confused when there are 300 WiFi signals from all the campers in the campground. It looks at all of them then looks at the cell, then looks at the campground, so on and so forth every 2 seconds. It will bring your cell signal to its knees. This cannot be fixed by an upgrade. It is inherent in all one radio (2 GHz) modems. It can be fixed with the next model Peplink up that has two radios. You could dedicate the 2.4 GHz to the campground and the 5 GHz to the cell signal. Airstream chose this single radio modem not knowing of this limitation.

The latest software release I believe repaired the confusion with the client list that caused devices on the local area network to disappear. We saw this happen at Alumapolosa when Jason and I tested a trailer that was dropping clients. Mine did the same thing. Caused a huge slowdown when it happened.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:42 AM   #362
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I did a little experimenting using speedtest.net.
I have a Pepwave BR from AS and my own WIFI Ranger router.

Shut off the Rangers 2.5 MGz and used the 5 MHZ speed test showed 62.
Shut off the Ranger 5.0 MGZ and used the 2.5 MHz speed test showed 59.
Turned off the power to the Ranger and used just the PEPwave BR1 and got 67 on a speed test.
I still believe the slowest link is between the BR1 and the cellular tower and does not matter if you use 5 or 2.5 inside the Airstream.

Maybe the difference I'm seeing is mine is a BR1 MK2 dual band.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #363
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
OK, I need help from the experts. I picked up my 2012 on Friday after having the Airstream Connected installed. So far it does not get the “plays well with others” sticker.

I was stepping through the start-up process; I downloaded the app, signed up for an account with Airstream and then tried to pair the trailer. After scanning the QR code I received an initial indication that the trailer paired. However, the app quickly reverted back to “pair to vehicle”. OK, I tried to pair again and got an “unable to pair *** check wi-fi or cellular and try again”. I tried to pair several more times but was always given the same error message. I also tried to enter the pair code manually to no avail.

I was actually able to get through to AT&T, however, to create my account there and purchase the $360 plan.

I then tried cutting power to the router to recycle it. No change.

On the router the “status” light shows green while both the “wi-fi” and “cellular” lights flash green.

Several more attempts to pair have the same effect.

Today I called Airstream customer support and basically received a shoulder shrug. His comment is that he can’t “see” my trailer on their end and, therefore, can’t see what the issue is and can’t fix anything. His recommendation was to recycle power to try to get the system to get a cellular connection. I did so about 6 times but got the same result each time. The trailer won’t pair and the “cellular” and “wi-if” lights still flash green.

Has anyone seen this before or am I one of the first idiots to try installing this on an older unit? I guess I learned my lesson——again!
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:19 AM   #364
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I did a little experimenting using speedtest.net.
I have a Pepwave BR from AS and my own WIFI Ranger router.

Maybe the difference I'm seeing is mine is a BR1 MK2 dual band.
Whoa! Yours is a Peplink BR1 MKII? That is the NEW Peplink with the dual bands! Did Airstream finally make the change?

My question is what do you see SSID wise on your local network? Does it give any indication you are on 5 GHz? Since you cannot get into the router software, how are we to tell it is using 802.11ac. The old modem (Br1 Max) only uses 802.11n a slower format.

If Airstream has switched to this new modem, it is possible to run the WiFi as WAN on the 2.4 GHz radio and the cell dedicated to the 5 GHz radio. I am not saying they are doing this yet, but it is possible. If that is the case, they may have corrected this issue and it may be usable!

802.11ac also has LTE advanced carrier aggregation. This is something the new iPhones have had on their last few models. If you've been following the Airstream Peplink threads, some have reported that their cell phones can sometimes outpace the hotspots speed. That is LTE advanced carrier aggregation and is when the modem can use more than one band or tower to speed up the thruput. The MKII has GB lan ports (2) as oposed to the 100MB ports of the original modem most of us have.

I will have to contact Jason to discuss what is going on. The MKII retails a $699 ($150 more than the original BR1) and $100 for monitoring fleet capable. That is an $800 modem!

If Airstream is using this new modem, it may now be possible to run without the second router and at a faster speed. If configured right, the campground feature would actually work without hindering the cellular signal.

We can all scream and shout that most of us have the "old" modem, but those of you that added the second wireless router still should be running at a decent speed and do not necessarily need the new features especially at the higher price tag. If you are considering upgrading to the connect system, I would be careful to get this new modem (Peplink BR1 MKII) installed. Lots of old stock lying around I bet!

Tom & Doty
Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #365
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Whoa! Yours is a Peplink BR1 MKII? That is the NEW Peplink with the dual bands! Did Airstream finally make the change?

My question is what do you see SSID wise on your local network? Does it give any indication you are on 5 GHz? Since you cannot get into the router software, how are we to tell it is using 802.11ac. The old modem (Br1 Max) only uses 802.11n a slower format.

If Airstream has switched to this new modem, it is possible to run the WiFi as WAN on the 2.4 GHz radio and the cell dedicated to the 5 GHz radio. I am not saying they are doing this yet, but it is possible. If that is the case, they may have corrected this issue and it may be usable!

802.11ac also has LTE advanced carrier aggregation. This is something the new iPhones have had on their last few models. If you've been following the Airstream Peplink threads, some have reported that their cell phones can sometimes outpace the hotspots speed. That is LTE advanced carrier aggregation and is when the modem can use more than one band or tower to speed up the thruput. The MKII has GB lan ports (2) as oposed to the 100MB ports of the original modem most of us have.

I will have to contact Jason to discuss what is going on. The MKII retails a $699 ($150 more than the original BR1) and $100 for monitoring fleet capable. That is an $800 modem!

If Airstream is using this new modem, it may now be possible to run without the second router and at a faster speed. If configured right, the campground feature would actually work without hindering the cellular signal.

We can all scream and shout that most of us have the "old" modem, but those of you that added the second wireless router still should be running at a decent speed and do not necessarily need the new features especially at the higher price tag. If you are considering upgrading to the connect system, I would be careful to get this new modem (Peplink BR1 MKII) installed. Lots of old stock lying around I bet!

If they would make the newer router available as a swap out upgrade, I would consider it. That would mean one less thing in the AS to maintain and worry about, even though it has been zero trouble so far.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
If they would make the newer router available as a swap out upgrade, I would consider it. That would mean one less thing in the AS to maintain and worry about, even though it has been zero trouble so far.
Same boat here, there should be an upgrade path.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #367
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
The link below is to the one I have and notice it says it has been "DISCONTINUED: Update June 2019". There is a back story to mine that I have not been able to get any answers to. I tried to use the info on the router to activate it and couldn't get it to activate. I got ahold of an AT&T rep in the store that knew what he was doing. He had me pull the sims and someone had activated the sim and still open on an account. When I went to pull the sim the cover over the sims were missing and there two holes holding the BR1 but only one screw and it was half out and the other hole doesn't line up.

My guess is that AS bought out some backstock on these at a cheaper price.

Link:
https://store.livinlite.net/Pepwave-...LTE-_p_12.html
and
Old 07-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by

My guess is that AS bought out some backstock on these at a cheaper price.

Link:
[URL
https://store.livinlite.net/Pepwave-MAX-BR1-MK2-Router-with-North-America-3G4GLTE-_p_12.html[/URL]
Hold on! Did you get this modem as the Airstream connect kit? Isn't that what you said? Had it installed by a dealer?

Jason says that they (Airstream) are only using the BR1 Mini. One radio.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #369
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
The BR1 was in the AS when I purchased it. It's was a brand new 2019 33FB that was on the dealer's lot for several months. The SIM was active and register to someone else and the BR1 doesn't line up with the holes to mount it to the AS and the SIM cover was gone. I don't know the back story and the dealerships said they didn't swap it out or register the SIM. I'm not confusing the registered SIM with the one from AS, that still in the BR1. AT&T also said the numbers on the door lid didn't match the SIm and ended up making a new SIM card that worked.

Quote:
Hold on! Did you get this modem as the Airstream connect kit? Isn't that what you said? Had it installed by a dealer?

Jason says that they (Airstream) are only using the BR1 Mini. One radio.
and
Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #370
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
The BR1 was in the AS when I purchased it. It's was a brand new 2019 33FB that was on the dealer's lot for several months. The SIM was active and register to someone else and the BR1 doesn't line up with the holes to mount it to the AS and the SIM cover was gone. I don't know the back story and the dealerships said they didn't swap it out or register the SIM. I'm not confusing the registered SIM with the one from AS, that still in the BR1. AT&T also said the numbers on the door lid didn't match the SIm and ended up making a new SIM card that worked.
The SIMM that is in the BR1 goes with the trailer. It is used to take over if the other SIMM (owner) is removed. That way the Czone system still works. You have to get an ATT SIMM to put in the other slot for your hot spot to work. Airstream should have supplied that, but being a used trailer, they may have to get you another. The door is immaterial. It will work with or without it. The modem has to be a BR1 Mini Max. Not a mark II. Does it say Mark II on it? Jason told me an hour ago that Airstream has NOT changed the modems.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #371
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
The SIMM that is in the BR1 goes with the trailer. It is used to take over if the other SIMM (owner) is removed. That way the Czone system still works. You have to get an ATT SIMM to put in the other slot for your hot spot to work. Airstream should have supplied that, but being a used trailer, they may have to get you another. The door is immaterial. It will work with or without it. The modem has to be a BR1 Mini Max. Not a mark II. Does it say Mark II on it? Jason told me an hour ago that Airstream has NOT changed the modems.

Fact 1 - This is not a used AS it was sold as brand new and the title reflects that I'm the first owner.
Fact 2 - When I picked up the AS and tried to activate the BR1 using the AT&T website it errors with incorrect password/user ID.
Fact 3 - After finding a local AT&T rep I was told the SIM was already registered to someone and they made me a new SIM.
Fact 4 - There was only one screw holding the BR1 to the AS and the other hole will not line up. Makes me think that BR1 is not the one that comes with the AS and it was swapped out.
Fact 5 - I pick my AS the end of June and for two weeks we streamed using Firesticks several hours in the morning and evening without a problem and never a buffer or disconnect.
Fact 6 - Speed test shows very little difference with speed test the connection from the BR1 or using the 5 Mhz connection on the WIFI Ranger.
Fact 7 - When I had the BR1 out I got the part number off the bottom and googled it and led to the page I link to above. It does not say MK2 on the BR1 and I don't remember it say it BR1 on the unit.
Fact 8 - Have now disconnected the ethernet cable between the BR1 and the Ranger since I don't see any advantage to connecting the two. I now separate the two networks by connecting the TV/Firesticks to the BR1 and my phones/IPad/Mac Book to the Ranger using a Version Pre Paid Jetpack tethering and it still no buffering on the TVs. I can even open two sessions one on the projector and one the bedroom TV and still doesn't cause buffering on the BR1.

Later on, I going to use this link - https://wifiranger.com/knowledge-bas...=kb&kbartid=48
but right now I don't see any advantage to balance the lines. I like the idea of sperate networks.
and
Old 07-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #372
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So do you now have two SIMMs in the Peplink now? That is how it is supposed to be. Your SIMM from the ATT account, and another SIMM that Airstream actually paid for. It's called a white card and allows the dealer to show off the Czone system.

There are now 4 versions of the Peplink BR1. The one that Airstream uses is the third generation I believe. The Mark II that came out about 8 months ago is their best in that line. I got a little excited thinking you had that model, to say the least! If Airstream stays with this line, the Mark II BR1 will be in its future.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #373
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
New “Airstream Connected” LTE-WiFi Dealer Installed

Quote:
Fact 1 - This is not a used AS it was sold as brand new and the title reflects that I'm the first owner.
Fact 2 - When I picked up the AS and tried to activate the BR1 using the AT&T website it errors with incorrect password/user ID.
Fact 3 - After finding a local AT&T rep I was told the SIM was already registered to someone and they made me a new SIM.
Fact 4 - There was only one screw holding the BR1 to the AS and the other hole will not line up. Makes me think that BR1 is not the one that comes with the AS and it was swapped out.
Fact 5 - I pick my AS the end of June and for two weeks we streamed using Firesticks several hours in the morning and evening without a problem and never a buffer or disconnect.
Fact 6 - Speed test shows very little difference with speed test the connection from the BR1 or using the 5 Mhz connection on the WIFI Ranger.
Fact 7 - When I had the BR1 out I got the part number off the bottom and googled it and led to the page I link to above. It does not say MK2 on the BR1 and I don't remember it say it BR1 on the unit.
Fact 8 - Have now disconnected the ethernet cable between the BR1 and the Ranger since I don't see any advantage to connecting the two. I now separate the two networks by connecting the TV/Firesticks to the BR1 and my phones/IPad/Mac Book to the Ranger using a Version Pre Paid Jetpack tethering and it still no buffering on the TVs. I can even open two sessions one on the projector and one the bedroom TV and still doesn't cause buffering on the BR1.

Later on, I going to use this link - https://wifiranger.com/knowledge-bas...=kb&kbartid=48
but right now I don't see any advantage to balance the lines. I like the idea of sperate networks.

CWSWine, did you have the WiFi over WAN option disabled by Airstream to allow your BR1 to focus on cellular data?

If you did t I could see why you would see no difference with the second router. They would both be slow.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #374
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I have never contact AS about any router issues.

Quote:
CWSWine, did you have the WiFi over WAN option disabled by Airstream to allow your BR1 to focus on cellular data?

If you did t I could see why you would see no difference with the second router. They would both be slow.
and
Old 07-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #375
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Having dealt with AT&T in the past I'd rather not have any future dealing with them. I am for now stuck with DirectTV and their support is terrible. What they do best is suck money out of customers.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #376
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
I have never contact AS about any router issues.

Please review post #12 by turk123 as soon as you can.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM   #377
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I pulled my PepWave last night to check the model. 2020 Classic 33, build in June 2019. Model is a MAX-BR1-MINI-LTEA-W-T.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #378
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Please review post #12 by turk123 as soon as you can.

Ok, I did review it and tried to duplicate the problem. I connected my Projector TV, bedroom TV, and my laptop to the BR1. I watched Netflix on the Projector TV and started a stream on Prime on the bedroom TV and another stream on my laptop and watch ran it for a little over 4 hours without a problem. This morning I used the App and signed on to an external WIFI and watched for another two hours. In the PDF attached to message #12, it said that Airstream claims only had 3 customers with the problem so I guess I'm one that not having problems. I not saying people are not having problems just that I'm not seeing the problems and I'm not going to fix something that in opinion isn't broke.
and
Old 08-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #379
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
I will throw this out here and may apply here. Back in the late 90s I was ISP and using well-respected brand name 56k modem and had been using them for several years. We bought them by the case and if I remember right there was 72 to a case. I started getting complains about slow connects from about 20% of people that bought modems out that case. We installed one in our computer and couldn't connect above 14.4. Called the manufacturer and they said the cause was phone lines and refused to replace the modems. I did my own recall and was stuck with a case of bad modems. Few months went by and the manufacturer finally admitted that they had a batch of modems with a defective chipset. So there was only one batch number bad and they replaced my case of modems with a case that connected as they should.
and
Old 08-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #380
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
I will throw this out here and may apply here. I did my own recall and was stuck with a case of bad modems. Few months went by and the manufacturer finally admitted that they had a batch of modems with a defective chipset. So there was only one batch number bad and they replaced my case of modems with a case that connected as they should.
That is not the case here. All the single radio Peplink modem exhibit the same issues. To be quite frank, even the single radio Cradlepoint modems have the issue. It has to do with how often the modem goes out to look for a WiFi signal. Cradlepoint did not solve their issue but improved on it by only poling for WiFi signals every 30-60 seconds. It still will interfere with the cell signal, but not as often. We have ask Peplink to change this to a longer interval in their modem, but they must have another reason for the 2-second search.

The downside of a 30 to 60 second interval is that it would take that long to connect to the campground WiFi. Not that bad if you are aware of it. This is the WiFi as WAN issue that all single radio modems have.

Tom & Doty