Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
I think the DRoid X is the best option for us when we get out on the road. I have looked at all the stats about it. And it's a pretty cool phone, but I use skype ALWAYS and do not need the phone, however I once took my toshiba laptop into a MacDonalds and loaded my skype and a surprise window popped up (like a clever little interception) and it charged me almost six dollars of my skype credit just to make the emergency call I was making. That SUCKED! Folks there are EVIL people out there....EVIL people! This could happen with the droidd phone I don't know, but somebody out there knows that we are OUT THERE too and have some surprises in store.....THEIR STORE!
I'm unclear on what you're saying here... do you mean that the McDonald's charged you for internet access (they used to) or that some unscrupulous other user of the McDonald's wifi point hacked your connection somehow, or offered up a honey-pot access point and sniffed your skype login?

I like Skype, I really do, but I maintain a cell phone. I have more than I REALLY need in that department (Sprint's answer to the Droid X, called the Evo) but that's because I'm a gadget geek. I bought my sister a prepaid phone and loaded it up with enough airtime that now her minutes last for 12 months from the most recent time she added any... it's been a great solution for her over the last 3 years, and so far it's worked out to about $6/month INCLUDING the purchase of the new phone, and she's got over 700 minutes left so if I amortize it out to when her current minutes will expire, it's closer to $5/month. It only works out that way if you're not a heavy phone user (airtime ends up costing about 10 cents/minute) but for a backup to Skype it's pretty attractive.

Oh, and via that Droid X, you'll be able to use Skype over VZW's data network. So far the Skype client for Android is ONLY available to VZW users, Skype keeps saying "Soon, soon" to the rest of us.
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote