Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
looking at new laptop

I'm in best buy, looking to get a new laptop. There are some very small laptops, that look ideal for use when seated behind the steering wheel, and sitting in a parking lot safely. Now the heavy part. There is a card built in to the machine that will allow net surfing. It is a couple of hundred $ off the machine if one signs up for a 2 yr commitment at 60$ (Verizon) or 40$ (Sprint) a month. This machine will then allow one to surf the net and do e-mail without having to be in a wifi hotspot. It does this by using the Verizon or Sprint system just like a cell phone. The money is not a problem, worth it to me if'n it works. The problem is that I don't know anyone who has used this so I have no frame of reference.

My question to ya'll: Has anyone used it and if so, what is your overall evaluation of its performance?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I have mobile broadband but mine is and external device that plugs into my USB port. It is pretty fast and reliable...not nearly as fast as cable at home. What your looking at is probably a netbook. Like a laptop-lite. I'm not crazy about them personally...usually the ones I see look cheaply made. If it were me I would get a standard notebook (small) and the external card. You'll get a better laptop this way and the broadband card is an external accessory that can be replaced if it ever breaks. Mine is a Toshibe with a 13" screen adn get about 5-6 hours on a charge.

Just my two-cents...
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We tried the Verizon card, it did not work where we needed it. Our MacBook can find wi-fi sites all over. Pull into a Safeway, for instance.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Netbook without disk drive can be preloaded or you can transfer programs with a flash drive, pia, for the extra bucks mdsilverado summed it up nicely. Plus check the speed of the netbook about half as fast as a medium priced notebook.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Netbooks are relatively inexpensive. Be sure you can type on the damn keyboard before committing, as they may not be to your liking. I've tried 2 different netbooks and couldn't really use either one. I am typing this on a Lenovo Edge ThinkPad and while it is smaller than most laptops, it has an excellent keyboard. The Edge has a 13.3" screen but weighs just over 3 lbs.

If you already have a cell phone, you MIGHT be able to "tether" it to a laptop in the times when wi-fi is not available. Or, if you have a smart phone like my Droid X, it can become a wi-fi hotspot for up to 5 devices. I pay $20/mo for that privilege.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Might look at an Ipad. I ditched all my windows computers a couple of years ago and would never go back. I take my macbook everywhere and it is easy to find free wifi on the road.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
There's always a bit of OS religion creeping in when you ask people about what computer to buy. Being a UNIX geek professionally, I really like OSX and its BSD roots. I'm not so fond of the price premium for a Macbook Pro, though they are definitely good machines. I ended up with a business-oriented Dell notebook this time around, purchased from their outlet website (mine's a Latitude E4300, competitive with the ThinkPad mentioned above.... I got a very well-equipped machine for about $650.)

I tried to like netbooks, but I'm too fatfingered for them. I touch-type, and the smaller, cramped keyboards are very hard for me to get used to. If you're a 2-fingered typist, the small overall size will probably overcome the cramped keyboard, but if you touch type you might find that you have trouble getting used to some of the non-standard keyboard layouts, or that you're constantly touching the trackpad accidentally and moving the insert point around (I had this problem a lot with netbooks.)
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Cosmotini, how fast is the connection on a tethered cell phone? $60 per month for a Verizon "MiFi" is a little much. And, I am concerned that 3G or even 4G will be slow, compared to a wired broadband connection. So, I'm afraid that using a cell phone for a modem might be like going back to dial-up; although, the price sounds much more affordable.

Are you satisfied with the tethered cell phone? How about the bluetooth connection to the Droid? I'd appreciate you opinion, and those of any others who have tried these, as I am about to make the same buying decision.

Thanks, in advance...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
I just bought an ASUS netbook from Best Buy and use it tethered to my Droid. The 3G connection is as fast as it is on the phone. I'm pleased with it. I certainly don't feel like I'm sitting around waiting for pages to load.
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I'll add my $.02 here since I have experience with all 3 - ipad, netbook, and tethered laptop use (Verizon).

I am typing this on a netbook and we also just bought an iPad. If I had a choice again today, it would be to buythe iPad over the netbook. The screen resolution on the iPad is incredible and also it works well for viewing movies and playing games/music which can be fun while traveling.

Netbook:
Pros
  • Small form factor
  • Inexpensive price (relative to other laptops)
  • Good for simple use - docs, email, simple web browsing etc.
  • Usually have USB ports for additional add-ons. Can add external keyboard through USB if desired.
Cons
  • Screen is very small which cuts off browsing experience. Have to scroll a lot to see web sites and fill in forms.
  • Keypad is a bit small and cumbersome. I find myself having issue typing/using touchpad and also seem to have issues with hitting the back button inadvertently. This happens enough that I get very annoyed by it.
  • Limited memory/ports. Have to know what accessories you want before purchasing.
  • Screen resolution/display ok (I have a recent Toshiba netbook). Not as clear as iPad when used inside the house.
iPad
Pros
  • Screen resolution/quality great (when inside house)
  • Comes ready to use with wi-fi hotspots (basic model)
  • Great for entertainment - movies/music
  • Ease of use - incredibly simple interface and very intuitive
  • Form factor - nice size for toting around
  • Can attach an optional keyboard
  • Built in mic for recording audio
  • Can buy optional high end version that supports 3G broadband network access
Cons
  • Price - a bit more expensive than netbooks in general
  • Does not support Flash - a very common standard for playing movies and displaying more sophisticated graphics on web site. Can be annoying to click on a video only to be told it requires Adobe Flash.
  • No USB ports for additional devices other than Apple proprietary devices
  • Screen display hard to see outside in bright light.
I have the tethering broadband capability through work - via my blackberry and it is usually quite reliable in many places but the speed is a bit slow compared to normal high speed access via cable/dsl. I have used it to work remotely and it is adequate. The service I use is verizon.

Good luck with your choice!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
...The money is not a problem, worth it to me if'n it works...
this issue imo with true netbooks is their limitations...

TINY TINY track pad, tiny keyboard.

and a limited version of windoz.
_________

the problem with pad is the os isn't OSx.

so inputing data is still tricky and that whole 1 app at a time thing...
_________

the problem with BOTH of these is having limited broadband/internet providers...
_________

tethering a phone works fine and is adequate speed for most basic needs.

but somehow i guess that's MORE than the o.p. wants to deal with...
_________

so get a small mac laptop and purchase a broadband usb/express34 card.

cards do come with some 2 year data plans at lower costs,

or simply purchase the card outright and go month to month on a data plan ...

the key is look very closely at the COVERAGE 3g or 4g for your main travel zone...

broadband is fast, reliable and much better than UNsecured public wifi...

the apple osX is really a great tool for most needs...

a macbook is MORE money than almost all other laptops

but is sometimes LESS money over the long haul and with use/utility/security factored it...

or buy a net book and have osX franken'stalled.

i just don't like the tiny netbook track pads or INTERNAL 3g with the limited service plans.

IF moneys not an issue but WORKING simply/easily/without tweaks is,

get a mac and verizon/sprint/att or WHICHever broadband CARD...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think Laptops are all a matter of choice and what fits you and the amount of $$$ you have to spend.
There is something new on the market by Virgin (something SORRY) ITS a wiFi hotspot thingy you carry in your pocket and your laptop can connect to it (NO CARD to plug in) Its about $149.00 then the serivce is $40 per month NO LIMIT(Verison is 5 megs per month) .You can also buy blocks of time. NO CONTRACTS and start and stop when ever you like,just by calling an 800 number.
I dont know all the particulars .IT Uses Version sites I guess. Check it out The NO CONTRACTS and the Price caught my attention.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Cosmotini, how fast is the connection on a tethered cell phone? $60 per month for a Verizon "MiFi" is a little much. And, I am concerned that 3G or even 4G will be slow, compared to a wired broadband connection. So, I'm afraid that using a cell phone for a modem might be like going back to dial-up; although, the price sounds much more affordable.

Are you satisfied with the tethered cell phone? How about the bluetooth connection to the Droid? I'd appreciate you opinion, and those of any others who have tried these, as I am about to make the same buying decision.

Thanks, in advance...
Phoenix,

I never measured the speed difference until now.

Using 3GSpeed- Analyze your WiFi 3G Network I ran the speed test 10 times on each of the networks.

My home network - wireless n - average speed 408.5 kbps

Droid X 3G Mobile Wi-fi - average speed 115 kbps

For browsing, it doesn't seem that much slower. Probably would be noticeable streaming movies or uploading a lot of hi-res photos.

Some day, I'll test watching a movie with Netflix with it.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Mikethefixit, reference your comment "There is something new on the market by Virgin (something SORRY)"; do you mean that this device is "sorry", i.e., doesn't work very well, or perhaps that you don't recall the exact name of the device? --Thanks
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Macomb , Michigan
I have used many of the devices that have been mentioned and the choice between is really what you feel most comfortable with and what is the intended use. The netbook is good if you want small, simple, and a keyboard to enter in text for e-mail, surfing, etc. I have found them to be cramped and offer little other than size. When considering a Netbook, I have stayed with a 13" MacBook because they are robust and offer a good balance between size, weight, battery life, and ease of use.

If you are comfortable with touch screens and do not need to type long documents, the iPad is truly revolutionary. Once you are immersed in how to interact with it, you will understand how it is changing the industry. Flash support is something to consider, but the tradeoffs with nearly instant on and the ease of use will typically overcome the limitation.

I use all operating systems daily and I would strongly recommend the Apple experience for its simplistic elegance for normal computing needs.

Ultimately, buy what feels most comfortable to you.
BrianDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Mac

MAC
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDL View Post
, I have stayed with a 13" MacBook because they are robust and offer a good balance between size, weight, battery life, and ease of use.
The iPad is truly revolutionary. Once you are immersed in how to interact with it, you will understand how it is changing the industry.
I totally agree with this guy.....
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Up date: Tnx big time for all the well thought out advice. I'm currently on the road. I went with a Verizon thing that I plug into the side of my old laptop. Being a neophite, I decided to start slow and see how it worked. There is no contract, and I buy blocks of useage in 30 day/1 giga bite lumps. So far everything is working well, and I have no complaints. As I gain a little experience, I plan to branch out as per some of the above suggestions. Tnx again, y'all amaze me with the depth of knowledge shown here!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I think the DRoid X is the best option for us when we get out on the road. I have looked at all the stats about it. And it's a pretty cool phone, but I use skype ALWAYS and do not need the phone, however I once took my toshiba laptop into a MacDonalds and loaded my skype and a surprise window popped up (like a clever little interception) and it charged me almost six dollars of my skype credit just to make the emergency call I was making. That SUCKED! Folks there are EVIL people out there....EVIL people! This could happen with the droidd phone I don't know, but somebody out there knows that we are OUT THERE too and have some surprises in store.....THEIR STORE!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
For those of you thinking what to get, here is a great article:

Apple
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote