Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Minnie---We have received our "emergency kit" from Directv. It appears from your pics you have yours up & running. Any problems I should be aware of or is it as easy as the instructions seem to say it is?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Here's the deal. A single LNB can feed a receiver more than one signal. However, due to way the signals are transmitted, the channels are broken into two groups. A single LNB can feed from only one of the two groups at a time. So it's possible that if you wanted to see two shows at once (or record one while watching a different one), a single LNB feed might actually be able to display both of them simultaneously, if both channels belonged to the same group. But half the time, it would not, because you'd be looking for two channels on two different groups, which a single LNB cannot handle.

So, most dual output receivers need dual feeds, one LNB for each. On my old DirecTiVo, I need to have two LNBs on the dish, feeding two seperate pieces of coax. There's nothing cosmic about dual LNBs. My dual LNB thing looks exactly like HiHoAgRV's picture. Two coax outputs. I run two pieces of coax, into a dual coax block mounted on the trailer, and then two cables from the inside of the trailer up to the TiVo.

There are a whole host of devices that claim to be able to get around this limitation. I've never had one that worked right. I have seen them successfully feed a pair of dual input recievers from a single dish with one dual LNB on it, but that's not what you need to do.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #73
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWard Wind
Minnie---We have received our "emergency kit" from Directv. It appears from your pics you have yours up & running. Any problems I should be aware of or is it as easy as the instructions seem to say it is?
Best,
I had no problems with the set up. It was as easy as the instructions and CD demonstrates. I would recommend setting it up at home for a trial run if you have your trailer at home just as a familiarizing exercise, but that really isn't necessary.

Because I forgot to take the short section of coax that runs from the wall to the back of the receiver, I had to run the coax from the dish to the receiver by running it through the door. That was a little bit of a pain because our dog kept tangling in the coax when he was tied to the front step. I have a quick disconnect attached to the end of the coax from the dish to the back of the receiver so it was easy to disconnect and drop outside the door before going to bed each night.

Aiming was pretty simple, but I think I will order a signal finder before I head out next time. I googled "satellite signal finder" and found a variety that ranged in price from $7.99 to $24.99 to well over $100 and some over $200 for some of the professional units. I think I'll go with one of the mid-priced units. This is solely to eliminate the yelling out the window by my wife to me RE: the meter reading on the TV screen.

I'm glad I got the dish set up now. As I have found in the past, sometimes free cable can be half a dozen channels or as many as 25 or 30 but the quality can vary tremendously. The last KOA we stayed in provided cable with probably 30 channels. Half or more had so much snow that they were useless. We almost never watch the big three networks so having satellite will be a real boon to us in the future. With this set up, it cost us nothing extra now that we have the dish.

Good luck with the set up and if you have any questions, I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm glad to try to answer them.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Almost have it

The first Radio Shack I went to had the dual output LNB. I felt really lucky.
We didn't even try to set the dish up at Manatee Hammock because of the dense tree cover. We stayed there Fri and Sat night, and moved up the coast to Beverly Beach Sun.

Perfect view of the entire sky. Hooked up the new LNB and the new Wingard (sp?) satellite finder and did not get a picture. Finally called Directv and learned more, but not enough. Put it all away.

I did not use any of the AS wires or cables. I went directly from the dish to the receiver then to an extra tv set we have.

At home we have an oval dish, so I have to change that on the setup. Will buy a compass tomorrow and return the satallite finder.

I have had satallite radio for several years. I thought finding a tv satallite would be as easy as with the radio. Was I ever wrong! I can't look at any other dishes and which direction they are pointed as everyone is connected to cable in this park.

I think all that is left to do is to find the signal. That will come, hopefully, some day soon.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #75
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The compass is key to finding the satellite. For example, according to the zip code where we stayed over Memorial Day Weekend, the azimuth was 238 degrees. I could have never found that direction without a compass. Be sure that the compass you get has the degrees marked off in at least 2 degree intervals. This will allow you to get a pretty good "rough" direction or azimuth. I lined up the compass with North/South and then pointed the dish toward the 238 degrees direction. Also, make sure you adjust the angle of the dish using the markings on the side of the dish mount where it is connected to the mast. These two measurements are critical. Then you fine tune with either the satellite finder or the meter on the receiver (the screen with the meter and signal beeper). I used only the signal meter with the receiver and was able to get a reading on that meter of 100. It only took about 4-5 minutes to locate the satellite once I had the dish mounted on the mast.

If I can do it, I know you can. It may take a little patience but you'll get the hang of it in no time.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks, Minnie's Mate,

I need to ask another question: when I go to the setup on the tv screen for Directv, and see two lines testing signal strength, will those line change or do I have to reset? Also, I have not heard any beeping sounds. Do they come with that same page setup.

We will buy a compass as you suggested, in two degree steps.

Thanks again!

Pat
Old 06-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #77

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Oh yeah, one more thing. If your using an in-line signal strength meter at the dish to help point, ya' gotta remove it before you start trying to watch TV. Mine has some pretty significant losses thru it.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #78

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
Thanks, Minnie's Mate,

I need to ask another question: when I go to the setup on the tv screen for Directv, and see two lines testing signal strength, will those line change or do I have to reset? Also, I have not heard any beeping sounds. Do they come with that same page setup.

We will buy a compass as you suggested, in two degree steps.

Thanks again!

Pat
You might be having an issue like I had. Did you have the reciever plugged in at any time the dish was disconnected? Mine gets confused even if I don't hit the power on button. I have to unplug the receiver, wait 30 sec's then replug. It then finds the dish and satelite. One other clue is the winnguard meter is maxed out and the TV is not even beeping.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks, HiHo,

Good points, especially about the receiver being plugged in when the receiver is disconnected. Will make a point of watching for that.

The Winegard satellite finder say to set it to 3-4. Any time it is set above 1, it beeps. There should be an easier way than the Wingard, or else I did not use it right.

Finding the satellite is on hold for now. There are storm warnings in the area.

Pat
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #80
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think HiHoArgRv is right about removing the signal meter from being in line before looking at the receiver's signal meter. I haven't used an in-line signal meter yet so I'm not sure how to use one. I am planning on ordering one from the net so I can set everything up from the dish location and avoid the shouts from inside the trailer...actually, it was pretty funny. My wife told my 7 year old what to shout to me so it was kind of like a bucket brigade of number shouting as he relayed the meter reading from my wife to me.

Anyway, I think you might have as good of luck with the meter on the receiver as you did with the in-line meter. If you still haven't got it by the time you move to your next camp ground and there is someone there with a dish, get up your gumption and ask them if they mind giving you some advice. I'm sure they would be glad to help...or they aren't much of an RV'er in my opinion...that's what I would do. And you know us guys and asking for directions! Anyway, it's always easier to help when you are there in person. If I were there I'd be glad to work with you as much as I know how.

Keep us posted.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #81

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
My set method is to stand up the dish, put the signal meter at the dish, hook the feed cable to the meter and run it to the receiver. Plug in the receiver and use the Dish pointing screen to get a compass heading, grab the compass and go back to the dish. I eyeball the heading of the dish then turn the sensitivity of the signal meter until I get a low whistle. I the gently move the dish until the signal increases. I then turn down the sensitivity to the low whistle and repeat until any further movement in any direction (up, down left or right) reduces the signal. I then remove the meter, go inside and see if I have a picture. If not, I unplug and wait 30 seconds. If still no signal, I was on the wrong satellite. Try again.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I have Directv!

It really took a forum, but I finally have Directv into the AS. 24 days into our trip it is finally on.

It is hooked up to two small tvs thru 2 receivers. Next step will be to hook it into the AS.

I bought it all-Align a site, Bulls Eye mount, Camping World tripod, Signal meter and ungrounded cables to replace the grounded cable the installer gave us at the house.

What has worked so far is leveling the CW tripod with the level supplied with the triod and using the compass that was also supplied with the tripod.

I may return the Align a site and signal meter, but I read that sometimes you really need both. Haven't really figured out the Align a site and why do I need the signal meter when the set-up has sound?

Anyway, thank you to Devoman for starting this thread, and thanks to all who replied. Without everyone, I doubt if I would have it working in 90 days.

Thanks again,

Pat
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1
It really took a forum, but I finally have Directv into the AS. 24 days into our trip it is finally on.

It is hooked up to two small tvs thru 2 receivers. Next step will be to hook it into the AS.

I bought it all-Align a site, Bulls Eye mount, Camping World tripod, Signal meter and ungrounded cables to replace the grounded cable the installer gave us at the house.

What has worked so far is leveling the CW tripod with the level supplied with the triod and using the compass that was also supplied with the tripod.

I may return the Align a site and signal meter, but I read that sometimes you really need both. Haven't really figured out the Align a site and why do I need the signal meter when the set-up has sound?

Anyway, thank you to Devoman for starting this thread, and thanks to all who replied. Without everyone, I doubt if I would have it working in 90 days.

Thanks again,

Pat
I have "align a site" and love it, will get you very close, you will also need a GOOD signal meter, the Acutrac pro 22 will zero it in. Can setup in less than 5 minute by my self... Acutrac 22 Pro Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acuwithlogo.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	40433  
Old 07-02-2007, 07:57 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Ain't it a good feeling when you finally nail that DirecTV signal? I also bought the signal meter, level, and the compass. I probably have a defective meter (or brain), because I have never had any success with it, but I have found that it's easier for me to set up just using the compass in conjunction with the information I get by punching in the zip code of wherever I am on the receiver. This week at Perry, after 20 minutes of trying to get a reading on the meter, I finally tossed the meter in the back of my truck and went with the compass/zip code method, I had a good signal within 3 minutes. Of course, my wife yelling signal readings out the window substituted nicely for the signal meter.

Right now the dish is lying on the ground after being blown over by a horrendous storm that is passing through the region. Now, if I can only keep my wife awake long enough to recalibrate the antenna...

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote