Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Mounting television bracket on black television shelf

I am going to mount television brackets for LCD televisions onto the folded black television shelves in the lounge and bedroom.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm very comfortable mounting the brackets onto the shelf, but the shelf is held up only by a small plastic tab which I don't trust to hold the weight of the television assembly. The only solution I've come up with would be a strip of metal screwed or welded on to replace the plastic tab.

Does anyone know what's behind the shelf in the wall? Should I be drilling into the wall at all? I've assumed it's only 1/2" thick and that drilling would be a huge mistake (my drill bit would end up in the bathroom or in the shower, right?).

Feedback appreciated.

Tom (and Frank)
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Tom,

I was just looking at doing the same thing in the bedroom. Open the shelf and there are 4 screws on each side that hold the shelf to the wall. I took ours out in the bedroom and saw the outside of the shower wall. I'm thinking of removing the shelf and having a steel plate fabricated to fit the hole. I'll spray paint it to match the shelf color and then mount the tv bracket to it. Then, if we ever sell/swap the trailer, I can pop the original shelf back in with no damage to it or the trailer.

Please post if you get any other ideas.

Good luck,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
?

Dennis, Tom and Frank.

I've been scopeing out this type of project without much luck.
What kind of mount are you using? i.e. fixed, pivot, arm, shelf...
Does it have a lock?
Where can I buy one.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Janet's Husband,

For the bedroom, I got a Omni Mount QM100T. It tilts but does not swivel. According to the mfg, it can adjust from +15 to -5 degree tilt. I went with this unit because angle was not an issue and it doesn't portrude out too far. It's going to be on the wife side of the bed and that corner is not all that large to begin with.

Last year, I had the dealer install the "official" mount that Airstream uses in the trailers now. It's an Omni Mount 75/100 CL cantilever mount. It tilts, swivels, pivots. They also included a backing plate that has a large velcro strap to secure the TV when traveling. I think the plate is Airstream's innovation. The Omni Mount site doesn't show anything like that. This mount is over the one of the dinette booth's.

I can post pictures if it helps.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Ojai , California
Tv mounting?

Dennis, Tom, Frank, Janet's Husband,

I'm new to my 2005 Safari and also have the drop down TV shelf in the bedroom. Did any of you manage to successfully install a wall mounted TV in this area? I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Photos would be awesome! Thanks!
Camp_BB is offline   Reply With Quote