Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

iPod install with Entertainment Package Option - '04 22' CCD

I installed my iPod today by using an A/B switch and two gender changers that I bought at Radio Shack for less than $20.

Here's what you do:

1) Remove the CD changer (4 screws) and remove the painted panel to the left side of the changer (2 screws) giving you access to the compartment to the rear of the stereo head/contoller.

2) Find the RCA cables coming from the TV's audio out jacks. They plug into the same accessory switch (JVC) that the CD changer uses. All of these cables terminate in this compartment. The accessory switch senses signal from the TV and it switches off the changer so the TV's audio goes through the stereo system. The stereo control head has only one aux input so the switch allows two inputs into the head. In the case of the factory install, it allows the TV and CD changer to share the same aux inputs.

3) Our goal is to put the A/B switch in between the head's aux input and the accessory switch. You may need a couple of male adapters to change the gender on the accessory switch's RCA input jacks - I did. Plug the TV "audio outs" into side A of the A/B switch and the iPod RCA connectors (bought seperately - mine are made by Monster Cables) into the B side of the switch.

Whallah. Your iPod now plays through your 22' CCD's entertainment package.

Enjoy!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Great info, Thanks Xray! I was hoping somebody would figure out how do do this. Do you know if the radio/cd player has the same capability? We didn't get the CD changer. If it is, it sounds like it's not very difficult....
Old 05-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Ma, I don't know the specifics of your unit.

I can walk you through it if you want. It's very easy actually, no power connections or anything...

Here's the parts list from Radio Shack:

(2) 274-863 Phono plug couplers

(1) 64-2363 Superlock fasteners (for attaching A/B switch to top of changer)

(1) 15-1952 Audio Video Selector (A/B switch)

Let me know if you need help.

X
Old 05-08-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Ok... I'll muster up fer it, mate! I can take pictures in the process. Thanks, Linda
Old 05-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hi Linda; been thinking of this myself; let me know how it works out. I guess you would have to use the amp in the Sony CD player? It may turn out this unit does not have the inputs to hook up the i-pod. Also, what is happening with your tv/cable system? I took my TT into a dealer on Friday, who took a look, shook his head and said he wouldn't know how to begin. Will try with another tomorrow, but I think it will ultimately involve drilling out rivets and trying to find where the wiring harness was left. Not sure I want to go there......
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

HiYa: I'd sure like to think that our would hook up to the rest of the entertainment system. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. X-ray makes me hopeful and willing to try it!
The cable hookup works.... just VERY badly. I haven't spoken w AS yet. We're taking the rig out and using it first.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey X.

That sounds pretty neat. Actual hardwire into the stereo from the ipod will definatley be better sound quality that the I-trip I'm using.

Is your stereo the six cd player with the fold down/removeable head unit thing that I have on the 19' CCD?

You wouldn't by any chance have any photos of the install?

This would also be great, because we bring aa powerbook along with us to work and watch DVDs. Before we had these little tiny portable sony speakers that we carried and I was wondering if there was a way to tie the powerbook into the AS Sony stereo somehow to have sound from our movies come out through the coach speakers.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan
Old 05-09-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lev,

I have the 12 disk changer in mine. I used to have an iTrip and sold it on eBay - I was not that happy with it.

Golly, I did not take an "in process" pic but I did take a pic of the final product... The black wire snaking around the bottom left of the changer feeds music from the iPod into the A/B switch. It's long enough that I can play with the iPod on the kitchen counter...

If you need help, let me know, I'm glad to assist any way possible.

X
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	6509  
Old 06-03-2004, 10:04 AM   #9
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi X.

I see that you have the Aux CD changer and sounds like you have the flat panel TV(?). This may have made it possible to splice in.

Here is what I found for my set-up:

In my 2004 AS, I have just the Sony 5000 CD/AM/FM unit with none of the entertainment upgrades. I want to not only play the Ipod through the stereo, but also hook up the Powerbook up to the Sony when we are watching DVD's, and have the sound come through the coach speakers.

I placed a call to Sony, who were incredibly helpful BTW and found that I need this set:

Something called a Sony XA 300 Auxiliary Input Adapter for Unilink Receivers. http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-DdzsZ4GU...nfo&i=158XA300

Apparently for what I want to do, you just can't plug in an RCA plug in the AUX-IN on the back of the unit, it uses something called a bus link. With the XA 300 unit it senses when an addition component is attached, and on the head unit you just select thaat component using the buttons on the front of the head unit.

It is pricey at $100.00, and I check eBay, nothing much there.

Am I completely missing the boat here, or does this make sense?

Jonathan
Old 06-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Does it have Aux inputs? I looked at Sony CDX 5000 on Crutchfields site and it lists aux inputs as optional (the buslink adapter?). Same receiver? I have a 7700, when I press 'source' it scrolls through receiver, cd, aux. I have a different Sony in my car, when I press source there is only receiver and cd, do you have aux when you press source?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
John.

On the back of my unit, the 5000, there is suppose to be a free left and right channel AUX that are RCA type connections. From these, a cable goes to the XA-300, also RCA connectors. From the 300 to the laptop, there is a USB conection, or you can use a standard RCA to mini(laptop). I think with the Powerbook, I might be more inclined to go with the USB connection.

Your unit sounds like it has more options than the one AS installed in my coach, meaning mine is probably a less expensive model. Wish I had a direct connect one like yours.

Jonathan
Old 06-03-2004, 01:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If it does have the aux plugs it should work, I did that with an ipod on mine. It sits on a lip on the dash, runs from the lighter. You can swap cables or get something like this and push buttons.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Hi: Ours is the CDX-CA710X. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ZBgG4nk...h=cdx%2Dca710x
I'll do some investigating and see if we can get it to work with the Sony XA 300 Auxiliary Input Adapter for Unilink Receivers? Sure would be nice. I haven't done anything yet, per X-ray's directions. Still kinda paranoid I guess.

Please keep us informed, I'll do the same! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2004, 05:29 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Hi: I just ordered the XA-300 from Crutchfields, (it's either them or direct from Sony). Through telephone conversations with both, seems that's what we need to get to do the job. The XA-300 allows the CD players to recognize the added input devices like iPODs or the laptop.
Being able to play DVDs through the speakers will be cool!
Thanks for the information! I'll post as soon as I get it hooked up.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Here's the back plate of ours...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CDX-CA710Xbk.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	7026  
Old 06-04-2004, 06:44 PM   #16
LEV ZEPPELIN

Chicago , Illinois
Hi Linda.

Anxiously await your report on the 300. Should be an easy install, and I think the unit comes with the cables you need.

Jonathan
Old 06-09-2004, 07:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Sony XA-300

Easy and works GREAT! I have a coupon code for Crutchfield. If anyone wants it, send me a pm?
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Sony XA-300 install diagram...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SonyXA-300.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	7139  
Old 06-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

The install is plug and play except for putting things back and sticking it with the Velcro. My hubby is very pleased with it.
The discount is only $20 off $200, and the box is $99. If a referral spends $200, I get a coupon enticing me to spend more too.
Now I'm looking at how to hook-up the iPod in our truck(s). ipodlounge.com has a forum with some good information, but I am NOT technical at all. It looks like it isn't very difficult, but... Anyone done this yet?
Old 07-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShep
The install is plug and play except for putting things back and sticking it with the Velcro. My hubby is very pleased with it.
The discount is only $20 off $200, and the box is $99. If a referral spends $200, I get a coupon enticing me to spend more too.
Now I'm looking at how to hook-up the iPod in our truck(s). ipodlounge.com has a forum with some good information, but I am NOT technical at all. It looks like it isn't very difficult, but... Anyone done this yet?
Linda,

I connect my iPod through my Touareg's stereo system. It was an interesting install and required the removal of the radio and attachment of a device (in my case a Blitzsafe Audio Device (Blitzsafe) that treats the iPod as a CD changer. The device has RCA audio inputs that take audio "out" from the iPod. It channels this audio into the Touareg's stereo system as would the CD changer.

Works great. You might look around for something you can use on your tow vehicle. Might be that Blitzsafe has one.