Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Crank up antenna problem?

We have a 2001 Safari with the crank up antenna. When cranking it up the mast goes past vertical. All the pictures I have seen of deployed antennas show the mast vertical. I don't see anything in the manual about a stop or adjustment. What does your antenna do?

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I think they all go up a little past vertical.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
By going past vertical my thinking is that it gives it a greater circle to rotate within. Perhaps allowing it to grab a broader range of channels. I'm to techie but that's just my thinking.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
By going past vertical my thinking is that it gives it a greater circle to rotate within. Perhaps allowing it to grab a broader range of channels. I'm to techie but that's just my thinking.
As an engineer, I think not. If it rotates 360° horizontally anyway, then cranking it vertically to 95° is the same as cranking it vertically to 85°.

But, if you were to crank it open to 89°, almost but not quite vertical, then its own weight will make it try to sag down to the retracted position, putting a strain on the operating mechanism that has to hold it up. If you crank it open to 91°, just a little past vertical, then if it starts to sag, it will sag against the stops and stay open, with no strain on the operating mechanism. In other words, the extra little bit of over-travel is a hold-open device.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Is it really going past vertical or does it look that way? Mine and most of the ones I've see are mounted considerably off center on the roof so that when retracted it doesn't interfere with the skylights and A/C. That puts it on the curved part of the roof and when extended looks like it's listing to port.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks everyone!

It is going past vertical. When cranking it up it is oriented in line with the length of the trailer. Viewing it from the side, it is going about 5 degrees past vertical. I got up on a ladder today and took a look at the mechanism. It appears it is designed to work that way. Mine is mounted to the curb side at the front of the trailer. The front of the two mast bars hits a stop formed by the base to end travel. So I'm going to conclude that it is supposed to go past vertical as SteveH has suggested and stop worrying about it.

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote