Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Bellevue , Washington
Coax connector issues

We have a 2006 Safari and I cannot get the coax connectors to work. TV is fine on cable, antenna seems ok but when I use it I get snow and sound on a few channels (nothing watchable). I am using the booster button when appropriate and have tested the coax outlets with a meter that indicates a "short" in each of them. I have removed the face plates and they are connected to a coax in the wall. Any ideas? Should I scrap the coax and just use cable or buy a sat dish? Problem with the sat is that we cannot use it at home.
SheilaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You do have a newer digital television, right? Cable signals are the old analog and can be viewed on older televisions, and over the air TV is now digital which requires a different television tuner. Just want to be sure you have the right equipment for over the air signals.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Not sure from your description why you get a 'short.' The inner wire and the casing never touch so testing on one end without a loop will result in an open circuit.

idroba is referring to the tuner in the TV but you may need an enhancement to the old analog antenna on the roof to capture sufficient signal. Winegard manufactures the Wingman which helps. They also offer other upgrades.

RV Antenna - VHF UHF Winegard Sensar Antennas
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I would also point out it may be that there is a splitter being used in the system... Splitters do not work in this type of set up...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Bellevue , Washington
Thanks so much for all the replies. The TV does have a digital tuner. I have talked with Winegard and the antenna appears to be ok. The little meter I picked up at Home Depot only lights for OK and for SHORT. You are right, I could not see what might short with coax, but apparently the meter saw that the signal was not transmitting. I don't know where a splitter may be, but will look. The TV is a Sony and is connected to a 12 volt inverter/converter in the nearby closet. Next to that is an elec outlet labeled that it goes to the inverter system on the trailer. I cannot get that outlet to work either, but the TV does turn on when plugged into a 110 outlet (after the inverter box in the closet). I love the Airstream, and I don't mind fiddling with these things, but perhaps it is time to read a book and just imagine what is happening in the news. Thanks for all your help. If you get any other ideas, I would love it.
SheilaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote