Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Aux input for Sony CDX-F5000 Radio/CD

Our 2005 Classic came with a Sony CDX-F5000 radio/single CD player (no CD changer).

This model doesn't have an aux input that I can use for an ipod.

I have tried one of the little FM transmitters, and it worked - sort of - but not great.

It appears that Sony did originally sell at extra cost a gadget called
a Model XA-300 "Aux in" selector for use with this radio.

I could buy one of these new for around $100, or less if I found one on Ebay, but in reading about them, I'm not quite sure if it will work without having a CD changer - I only have the drop front panel on the radio that allows me to insert CD's one at a time.

Does anyone have experience with this gadget and know if it can be used without the Sony multi-CD changer?

Any other solutions to getting a good quality MP3 sound from this setup?

I have heard you can buy some sort of direct wired FM transmitter. I assume you hard wire its output right into the radio's antenna?

Probably that would be better than the wireless FM transmitter I tried, but you would still have the problem of nearby FM stations interfering in built up areas.

Any advice appreciated!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Just as an example, Crutchfield (not known for having the best prices) for $109 has this Sony single-DIN car stereo that has iPod control capability and regular aux input (if your ipod isn't really an Apple iPod but some other MP3 player.) It should be a straight swap for the one you have, it probably even has the same Sony plug on the back (though that's just a guess on my part.)

It would likely be a much better use of $100 or so than the adapter you are thinking about.

Oh, and it also plays MP3 CDs, so you can get 700 or so minutes of music on a single CD.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Just as an example, Crutchfield (not known for having the best prices) for $109 has this Sony single-DIN car stereo that has iPod control capability and regular aux input (if your ipod isn't really an Apple iPod but some other MP3 player.) It should be a straight swap for the one you have, it probably even has the same Sony plug on the back (though that's just a guess on my part.)

It would likely be a much better use of $100 or so than the adapter you are thinking about.

Oh, and it also plays MP3 CDs, so you can get 700 or so minutes of music on a single CD.
Yeah, I might just pull the Sony radio/CD and pick up a cheap player with aux input (I think almost all have them now) to replace it.

I bought a radio/CD for our last trailer - about 140 watts I think - for about $75, and it worked fine - also had a inputs for USB thumb drives and SD cards.

A bit of work to pull the old one out and adapt a new radio to fit though - I'm lazy, just wondered if there might be an easier way!

It's a good idea though, and I may just wound up doing that.

Incidentally, I believe the Sony radio I have will play CD's with MP3 files, so i guess it would be another solution just to burn a few CD's of "Trailer music"

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
My point in choosing a Sony replacement is that there should essentially be no work involved in the swap. Stick the little DIN keys in, pop out the old one, unplug the Sony connector from the back of the old one, plug it into the new one, slide it back in to lock in the existing DIN slot, plug in your iPod, done.

But if your old one plays MP3 CDs already, that's definitely the cheapest route. CD-Rs are almost free these days.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
My point in choosing a Sony replacement is that there should essentially be no work involved in the swap. Stick the little DIN keys in, pop out the old one, unplug the Sony connector from the back of the old one, plug it into the new one, slide it back in to lock in the existing DIN slot, plug in your iPod, done.

But if your old one plays MP3 CDs already, that's definitely the cheapest route. CD-Rs are almost free these days.

That's a good point about the quick swap.

We bought our trailer used, and when I looked at the radio I wondered how the heck to access the back of it.

I had found those little keys in the bag with the manuals that came with the trailer and not knowing what they were, nearly threw them away! I learned about a year later what they were!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I would just pull the Sony unit and replace with a new one - be as easy as pulling out the old and plug in a new (or should be - they have been using the same "module" for a while with power, speakers, antenna, all external connected and the head unit "plugging right in")...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Many radio repair shops can add this feature to your radio.
Had my factory '96 Delco upgraded with a plug on the face in a available area, kinda hidden, but is there.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Here ya go, only around $100.00 bucks...

Amazon.com: Brand New Sony Xplod Cdx-gt700hd Cd/mp3 Receiver with 2-line LCD Display, 52x4 Watt Amp + Front USB Input with Ipod Controls, and Built in Hd Radio with Itunes Tagging: Electronics

Give your ears a treat and add superior sound to your drive with the CDX-GT700HD Xplod GT Series CD receiver. The internal HD Radio receiver's Music Tagging features lets you tag songs you like so you can find it later. Plus, connect, charge and control your iPod, iPhone, Walkman player, or other digital music players with USB 1-wire. This innovative feature displays metadata like song title, artist and track number on your front display while your music is playing. Passenger Control lets your passengers play DJ through your connected iPod device. You can also listen to a CD playlist loaded with your favorite MP3, WMA or AAC song files.
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hold on a second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Incidentally, I believe the Sony radio I have will play CD's with MP3 files, so i guess it would be another solution just to burn a few CD's of "Trailer music"

Brian
Look closely at the new ones if you decide to change: many of them eliminate the need to burn CDs since they have a USB jack on the front of the radio. USB drives can hold up to 32 gig of data (depending on which capacity you buy), where a CD-R only holds 680 meg, take it or leave it. The thumb drive can hold more that 45 CD-Rs worth of music!

[edit:] 32 gig would hold more than 45 CDs in full Red Book audio (as they are originally recorded), hundreds of albums in MP3 format.

And of course, it's faster to load them on a USB drive than burn a CD. Not to mention it's more green, since there's nothing to throw out and do over; just change the data (songs) on the USB drive!

Quote:
CD-Rs cost more than DVD-Rs here in Canada; the government was talked into collecting a significant amount of levee for the music industry. Nobody has yet explained exactly how that goes to the starving artists, though.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Look closely at the new ones if you decide to change: many of them eliminate the need to burn CDs since they have a USB jack on the front of the radio. USB drives can hold up to 32 gig of data (depending on which capacity you buy), where a CD-R only holds 680 meg, take it or leave it. The thumb drive can hold more that 45 CD-Rs worth of music!

And of course, it's faster to load them on a USB drive than burn a CD. Not to mention it's more green, since there's nothing to throw out and do over; just change the data (songs) on the USB drive!

CD-Rs cost more than DVD-Rs here in Canada; the government was talked into collecting a significant amount of levee for the music industry. Nobody has yet explained exactly how that goes to the starving artists, though.
Yep, I bought one of those radios for my last trailer (Non- AS) Cost under $100 and had inputs for thumb drive and SD cards as well as an Aux in for ipod - it worked very well.

Probably makes a lot more sense than spending $$ on some sort of add-on to my existing Sony radio.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
This is so easy.

Here's how. Get at jack from Best Buys, Target, Frys or WalMart. The jack has two RCA jacks on one end...one red, one white. The other end has a Mini jack that I think they call a 5mm jack. The 5mm fits into the IPOD, the two RCA jacks fit into the Aux outlet in back to the radio. Next set the radio to CD4 and AUX 2. Then crank it up. See photos. BYW the jack costs less than $5.00.

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	131137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	1654
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	131138  

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
One more thing...

Wingeezer: If you look closely at that album on the IPOD it is the best of the Doobie Brothers. Your avitar has a motorcycle...there's the connection.

Randy
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
Here's how. Get at jack from Best Buys, Target, Frys or WalMart. The jack has two RCA jacks on one end...one red, one white. The other end has a Mini jack that I think they call a 5mm jack. The 5mm fits into the IPOD, the two RCA jacks fit into the Aux outlet in back to the radio. Next set the radio to CD4 and AUX 2. Then crank it up. See photos. BYW the jack costs less than $5.00.

Randy Bowman
Wow, that does seem easy - I didn't realize that there was an RCA type aux inout in the back of the radio. Maybe there isn't on mine? Else why would Soy offer some expensive add-on to give you aux input ability?

In any event, I will certainly take a look. Our trailer isn't at the house, but I have the manual here - maybe it shows a pic of the back of the radio.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'