Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Audio Speaker Select Switch?

Currently upgrading the headunit on my '07 Airstream.

I'm cleaning up a lot of the legacy Sony headunit changer/player/aux input wiring. But I'm also trying to see if I can't take out the AS proprietary Speaker Select Switch and it's brains.

How is this switch used, and why wouldn't I just want to remove it?

The Speaker Select Switch seems to work in the following manner:
1) In - Outputs headunit on all 4 channels front and rear
2) Out - No output
3) Both - Outputs only front channels

Was this switch also meant to output to outdoor speakers that I'm missing or something? The brains are American Technology Components AT-RLM-041 which I couldn't find much info on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ASspeakerselectswitch.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	297935
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASspeakerselectbrains.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	297936
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Audio Speaker Select Switch?

I had the same switch in my 2008.

The thought at the time was that outdoor speaker wiring was cool, so they installed this switch whether or not you had outdoor speaker wiring installed at the factory.

When I changed my system out I figured out that my trailer was not (1) pre-wired for outdoor use and (2) the switch was truly meaningless and had no effect in my trailer.

Nice picture - that’s my trailer after the upgrade I left the switch in place BTW because I didn’t want to bother replacing the cabinet trim insert it is mounted to.

Here is a link to my AV system upgrade thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...de-161787.html
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Thanks for taking the pic! I took a pic of the brains, but didn't get the switch and found your pic handy.

Did you rip the brains out?

So we all have this switch, but there's no pre-wire for outdoor speakers to take advantage of? Or is that what the "line out" is for?

The only functionality I use the switch for is to turn off the bedroom speakers when I put my kids down early.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Slightly different question, but is there no constant 12V power from the batts to the radio position? And it's all switch off with the store/use button?

It's a PITA to lose all the radio settings every time I use the store function. I wouldn't mind some vampire draw to keep the settings.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Thanks for taking the pic! I took a pic of the brains, but didn't get the switch and found your pic handy.

Did you rip the brains out?

So we all have this switch, but there's no pre-wire for outdoor speakers to take advantage of? Or is that what the "line out" is for?

The only functionality I use the switch for is to turn off the bedroom speakers when I put my kids down early.

I threw the switch electronics and most of the stock wiring in the bin
Old 10-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Slightly different question, but is there no constant 12V power from the batts to the radio position? And it's all switch off with the store/use button?

It's a PITA to lose all the radio settings every time I use the store function. I wouldn't mind some vampire draw to keep the settings.

Unfortunately there is no constant 12v to the stereo and yes it’s a PITA. Airstream wire the propane detector on constant 12v but not the stereo?!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Airstream probably quit wiring the stereo direct to the battery because so many complained about parasitic drain on the batteries in storage. Now, if everyone complained about the propane tank gages being direct wired, they would get that message.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
I hav e the same switch in our 2009 27 FB an
Nd I’ve tried to figure out the logic.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Airstream probably quit wiring the stereo direct to the battery because so many complained about parasitic drain on the batteries in storage. Now, if everyone complained about the propane tank gages being direct wired, they would get that message.
guskmg
Hah, funny that they use to wire a always on +12V? Didn't know that. It's time for them to bring it back! I wonder if the newer trailers already have it.

The LP tank detector I get. It's a safety critical design decision. If the LP indeed were leaking while it was in storage... You'd want to know the minute one gets into the trailer. Wouldn't want to find out by turning on the electronics/motors/stove, only to realize upon the trailer exploding.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I did stare long enough at the switch to figure it out.

It looks like AS standardized the install of it to support an exterior speaker hookup. If one were to select the option, they would have a exterior 4-pin connector to plug in speakers.

For those of us without the option, the switch currently redirects the rear speakers to the headphone jack on the panel. Haven't tested if these are speaker level or low level. It's also only wired for mono, which would be pretty poor quality.

The only think it is handy for, is to turn off the bedroom pair of speakers without accessing the fade function on the headunit.