Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
OK gang some facts on the things.

One manufacturer's web site: The Original Hott Rod

Similar products are or have been sold as "Hot Water Bandit" and "Hybrid Heat" by Camco.

You can get them for around $100 at any of the major RV supply places. AdventureRV, PPL, Tweety's.

Now, in principle I agree with Lewster that these things raise safety questions and lack the sort of agency certifications that we might like to see. My concerns in particular would regard the mounting of the thermostat (if it comes loose the element will run nonstop) and the attention to insulation, grounding, and leakage current. All these things are addressed by the agency certifications that these devices lack.

Potential buyers should also realize that these devices are around 400 watts, much less than the 1400 watt element present in an Atwood heater equipped from the factory for both gas and electric operation. So it will take maybe 5 hours to heat up a tank of cold water.

For most people the cost savings of using electric rather than propane when shore power is available will never pay for the initial cost. I don't believe there's really a fairness problem with campgrounds. They are free to set their charges as they see fit and some do meter the service or charge extra for electric heat or A/C.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Similar products are or have been sold as "Hot Water Bandit" and "Hybrid Heat" by Camco.

You can get them for around $100 at any of the major RV supply places. AdventureRV, PPL, Tweety's.

Now, in principle I agree with Lewster that these things raise safety questions and lack the sort of agency certifications that we might like to see. My concerns in particular would regard the mounting of the thermostat (if it comes loose the element will run nonstop) and the attention to insulation, grounding, and leakage current. All these things are addressed by the agency certifications that these devices lack.

Potential buyers should also realize that these devices are around 400 watts, much less than the 1400 watt element present in an Atwood heater equipped from the factory for both gas and electric operation. So it will take maybe 5 hours to heat up a tank of cold water.

For most people the cost savings of using electric rather than propane when shore power is available will never pay for the initial cost. I don't believe there's really a fairness problem with campgrounds. They are free to set their charges as they see fit and some do meter the service or charge extra for electric heat or A/C.
Interesting on your link it states that the Hott Rod is UL and CSA approved.

Cheers, Dan

Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

pretty easey to mount and it is ul and csa approved.
6gal kit 450 watts at 4amps, 10gal 650 watts at 6amps.
45 to 60 min to reach temp. from cold tank. save a lot on propane.

buy the way campgrounds only charge extra for electric on long term stays, monthly.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #32
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Interesting on your link it states that the Hott Rod is UL and CSA approved.

Cheers, Dan
The point Lewster makes is a valid one. Although the product itself may have a valid UL/CSA listing, once installed into the water heater the assembly as a whole does not. There are specific requirements for water heaters that are more stringent than for electric immersion heaters or for component parts, which are the two categories that I suspect the manufacturer might have used.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
My trailer came with some sort of add on electric water heater element by the PO. After dealing with it for a while I took it off and just run on propane. The add on over heated and seemed very poorly wired. We run the gas heater for about an hour in the morining and again in the evening and the water stays warm in between.
Yes and with overheating come overpressure.

Comments in general:
There are a lot of people that don't check their equipment until a failure. I sometimes get busy and am also guilty of no set maintenance schedule. I have a relied valve that I found a few weeks ago that has failed. It has calcium deposits up inside it so it had to leaking or stuck and water forced out as a drip. If I had not been setting close to the ground I would not have seen it.
Using electricity is not GREEN either you loose 30-40% efficiency going from a chemical energy then you loose again going to a thermal energy. Propane is direct from chemical energy to thermal energy.

Does it make sense to use something that is three (3) times more expensive to heat water to save a few bucks... Just turn it off when you are not using it. Its a quick recovery on propane not slow like electric.

So if you are a true tree huger you have just blown it by heating with electricity. So go Google it and see. Kinda like Al flying around everywhere and heating a few 8,000 sq ft houses.. and ripping me for driving a 17 MPG truck.. But I tried to offset that by planting several plants an year.

If you check out your equipment you don't have to worry about co2 or fire. The heaters are vented outside. That means the combustion air is never inside your trailer without being encased in a separate enclosed compartment. Buy a bottle of snoop and check your gas fittings a couple of times a year. Actually you should have a bottle of snoop handy for changing the propane bottles out.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I bought a similar unit back in 2002 that was called "RV SUPER SAVER".

It also fit into the drain hole and had a thermostat and it plugged into a 120v source. The contact names on the "flyer" were Frank & Sharon Damron in Livingston TX....the 800-722-0734 number is out....