Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Trojan T-145 6V Battery

Has anybody tried these batteries? The literature asserts 260 amp hours (20 hour), which means 130 amp hours in a 12 volt environment. They fit in the battery box, at least those that are deep for a 6 volt battery. They do weigh 72 lbs each. Am looking to replace the two original 12V interstates batteries of an effective 80 amp hours. Reviews?
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
This may or may not help your decision. I replaced my 13 month old DEAD interstates with Trojan 12 v wet cells. They have been performing flawlessly ever since. (I also replaced the converter)

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Certainly nothing wrong with Trojans of any type with an upgraded converter. There are many die hard flooded battery fans out there and will be for a long time even as AGM and Lithium come on. I have some too and they hold a great charge.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #4
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The biggest batteries that fit into Rocinante's battery box, unmodified, are Lifeline Group 27 http://lifelinebatteries.com/product...eries/gpl-27t/ (turn them 90 degrees). Actually, we used these batteries, which are about the same size but much less expensive since they are conventional flooded-cell units: http://dynobattery.com/products/12-v...and-rv/27m.php

Any bigger, depending on the model year of your Airstream, and you may have mod the battery box to fit them in. (Rocinante is a 2014 27FB.)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Certainly nothing wrong with Trojans of any type with an upgraded converter. There are many die hard flooded battery fans out there and will be for a long time even as AGM and Lithium come on. I have some too and they hold a great charge.

I have the original Interstate batteries going on their fourth year. If I have to replace them this year I will still be money ahead.
Witnessing the gyrations and cost people go through to accommodate some of these batteries especially Lithium makes me think that battery technology is not as advanced as its cracked up to be.
I will switch to Lithium when I can get a couple of them for close to what the simple Interstates cost and when I can simply plop them in and keep going. Than I will consider them advanced.
I feel the same way about the Tesla. A $ 90,000 joke.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
San Rafael , California
Two things; having 130 amp hours available is a nice feature, but remember you will need to add them (amp hours of charge) back in. That's either a plugin for an extensive amount of time, or solar. And solar would be very extensive!
The other is weight. I saw your mention of 72 lbs. That's quite a bit of tongue weight! However, I use eight of these for a solar off-grid site and they are awesome!!!
Silvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
clarkston , Washington
I put two Trogan 105 6 volts in our 25 ft FC. I had to modify the battery box and thanks to this forum, learned how to do that. We have put 25 nights, all off grid, on those batteries and they are doing fine. I like my Trogan batteries. I used 105s in my last trailer for 8 years with no problems. I did upgrade the charger.
ramblinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
A Series batt connection will double the voltage to 12V. How do you get half the AH? It should stay at what the batt is. A Parallel connection would stay at 6V and double the AH. Or am I missing something?
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:29 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I'm guessing the OP was halving the AH because the don't want to run the batteries down more than 50%.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
I'm guessing the OP was halving the AH because the don't want to run the batteries down more than 50%.--Frank

Yup! AGM or wet cell batteries should not be discharged lower than 50% so if you have 200 AH batteries you have 100 AH of usable energy. I've read that you can discharge lithiums down to 20% charge without degradation of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
For you naysayers: The technology is here and the prices will come down. Large deposits of Lithium have been discovered in Alaska. We will no longer will be dependent on the Chicoms. Both AGM and Li batteries have a much longer life than flooded batteries if maintained per manufactures recommendation. Sooner or later the cost vs. benefit curve will cross and go positive. I replaces my system and the cost was almost equal to Timeless Trailer's propane generator installation estimate. I really love the convience of not having to hook up all the time on overnight stops. My tongue weight also dropped significantly.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #12
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
guskmg - A large deposit of graphite useable in lithium battery manufacturing was discovered recently in Alaska but I haven't seen anything about a lithium discovery. Any specific news on location, size, and by whom that you can provide or link to would be warmly received.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
My last set of Trojans 6V lasted 7 years and that was with a lot of abuse (before I put solar panels on the roof). I wouldn't be surprised if the new ones I put in last spring last even longer.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I understand the Trojan T-105 is a popular choice for RV's. It has a 20 hour rating of 225 amps (or 110 usable). They weigh 64 lbs each. My 4 year old stock Airstream Interstates have 80 amp hours usable and weigh about 47 lbs each. I was just wondering if anyone had tried the T-145 6 volt battery, it has 260 amp hours rating (130 usable) but weighs yet more. It should fit into the Airstream battery box if modified to accommodate 6 volt batteries which I've already done. I'll admit I'm concerned about adding too much to tongue weight.

On the lithium option, when someone invents a lithium replacement that fits inside the battery box, doesn't require wholesale rewiring and replacement of existing electrical components, and is sensibly priced, then I'll get that.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Here you go! These guys claim just drop it in.........

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/

I have no experience with these, so not recommending, but you asked, lol.

I just ordered solar upgrade equipment from AM Solar and I'm on the wait list for 36amp-hr kit. It's not much more wiring.

Thx

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-24-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
BTW, they are WAY more expensive......

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 12-25-2016, 02:57 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Two years ago I switched to the Trojan T-105 batteries in my 25'AS, and use them extensively. Essentially all of our camping is dry camping and after modifying the battery box I was able to fit the two 6-volt batteries. All the difference in the world, and they weren't that much more expensive than just replacing the size 24 batteries. I needed to replace my batteries so decided it was a good time to make the change. I wish Airstream would provide this option from the factory. My understanding is Airstream did finally provide larger battery boxes on the new Airstreams that will allow the 6-volt batteries to fit.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I understand the Trojan T-105 is a popular choice for RV's. It has a 20 hour rating of 225 amps (or 110 usable). They weigh 64 lbs each. My 4 year old stock Airstream Interstates have 80 amp hours usable and weigh about 47 lbs each. I was just wondering if anyone had tried the T-145 6 volt battery, it has 260 amp hours rating (130 usable) but weighs yet more. It should fit into the Airstream battery box if modified to accommodate 6 volt batteries which I've already done. I'll admit I'm concerned about adding too much to tongue weight.

On the lithium option, when someone invents a lithium replacement that fits inside the battery box, doesn't require wholesale rewiring and replacement of existing electrical components, and is sensibly priced, then I'll get that.
The T-145 6 Volt batteries look like the most sensible upgrade that I am considering when the Interstates give out. Extending the battery box is not a major project and the overall cost is reasonable for the additional power.
We have done 3 nights of dry camping with the stock Internationals and from what I read they would allow us 5 and for us that is about all we need. My wife likes all the comforts of modern life and is not into roughing it.

Just out of curiosity, on another thread there was a discussion of roof leaks. How do you deal with roof inspections, cleaning and maintenance with an array of Solar Panels up there ?
Old 12-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post

Just out of curiosity, on another thread there was a discussion of roof leaks. How do you deal with roof inspections, cleaning and maintenance with an array of Solar Panels up there ?
If you use 'Z feet' as mounting brackets for your solar panels and screw then into your roof, you will really have a difficult time removing them for cleaning/inspection.

AM Solar's rocker foot mounting system allows you to easily tilt the panels for complete access under them for inspection/cleaning. They are also adjustable and allow you to mount the panels level to the ground so that they all receive the same amount of solar radiance regardless of the sun angle. Definitely a better way to go!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Here you go! These guys claim just drop it in.........

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/

I have no experience with these, so not recommending, but you asked, lol.

I just ordered solar upgrade equipment from AM Solar and I'm on the wait list for 36amp-hr kit. It's not much more wiring.

Thx

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
What I see is having to spend about $ 2,200.00 for comparable 80 AH batteries to go Lithium. I won't live long enough to spend that on stock Interstates I have now.
Like I said, Lithium has a long way to go before it can be taken seriously. Just
Tesla.
They are both rich folks toys.