Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Help! Converter question!

Ok guys, I'm a girl so I'm allowed to be afraid of stuff (like snakes, but don't even go there!), and to not understand simple electronics, so I get to ask questions that may seem dumb to some of you.

I have found dreaded front end separation in Esmerelda - but I know how to fix it from being horrified enough and scared enough of having it to read all HowieE's thread, etc.

Here's my problem: The dang converter is in my way of all the stuff I need to remove. I'm scared of it. I seem to remember someone getting a nasty shock from it. I know to unplug from shore power and disconnect the batteries, but I seem to remember voltage remaining in it from a thread I cannot find now.

How can I make sure it isn't going to bite us (Mr. B will help, I know!) and that there's no shockie things going on up there....is unhooking the battery and shore power enough.

I need to know...gotta get this finished by the 27th - leaving for alumapalooza! We'll be replacing some front floor while we are about it. I've already removed banana stuff and rub rail! PO knew this problem was there, and had tried to address it with lots of screws and vulkem! BAD PO.

Thanks as usual for your great help. I wouldn't even have known to look if not for the forum.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Oh, and front floor only has a few bad spots, but while it's apart, why not get rid of more OSB?

Reba McEntire

Old 05-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Pretend it is full of snakes...to get them out,
AFTER you disconnect all the wires, you can take a short wire, touch one end the case of converter, and touch other end to each and every terminal on converter, one by one.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Don't for get to take pictures or make drawings of the wiring before you unhook anything, so you will know exactly how it goes back.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pub...maVnTpkVA1R8SE
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Don't for get to take pictures or make drawings of the wiring before you unhook anything, so you will know exactly how it goes back.
Very Very Important! Ask me how I know! Hmmm was that a black wire or a white wire that went there???
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Hey Mr. Smith! Haven't talked to you in a while, but it looks like your trailer is going to be tip top when you finish! I've been following your thread.

I just took photos of Converter thingie. Later, I'll post photos of my ugly, ugly front end separation. Thank goodness I had already read about it and wasn't too terribly surprised. Just gotta' get it put back together quickly now.

Thanks A.W. and Robert, I knew there had to be a thread somewhere that would help! Ew, that snake thing made me so careful I'm skeered to tetch it! Thanks, klattu, I'll use hubby's volt reader thingie to see if it's hot, eh? Ohhh, rubber gloves, eh....does that mean I am probably going to get shocked without them? Dang!

Reba McEntire

Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
If you are sure that 110 and batteries are disconnected and if you take lots of diagrams, take pics and make notes before you disconnect any wires, than chances are all will be fine when you reconnect - even if you don't understand the electronics!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Hey Mr. Smith! Haven't talked to you in a while, but it looks like your trailer is going to be tip top when you finish! I've been following your thread.
Yea its been awhile hasnt it. We have been working hard, My to do list goes on and on it seems like. But I think were going to cut it short and enjoy it for awhile. All work and no play isnt going to cut it. Mrs. S is really getting ancy. I hope theres something in my thread that will help you. If you get stumped in your repairs feel free to ask, our trailers being similar I may be able to help if not someone will guide you in the right direction. Many have been a HUGE help to me.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Glad you and Mrs. S are going to use that thing! We've been using ours the whole time and don't plan to stop for long now. We do a little, travel a lot, do a little, and on.... Yes, our trailers are pretty much the same, except yours is a year "newer". Pretty much the same problems, though.

Once we knew the frame and running gear was safe and tended to, we don't worry too much about anything else. It's been lots of fun so far, and even though Ezzie isn't perfect (like I think yours will be when you finish!) she sure is fun to use!

See you on the road somewhere, I hope.

Reba McEntire

Old 05-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Not Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
Glad you and Mrs. S are going to use that thing! We've been using ours the whole time and don't plan to stop for long now. We do a little, travel a lot, do a little, and on.... Yes, our trailers are pretty much the same, except yours is a year "newer". Pretty much the same problems, though.

Once we knew the frame and running gear was safe and tended to, we don't worry too much about anything else. It's been lots of fun so far, and even though Ezzie isn't perfect (like I think yours will be when you finish!) she sure is fun to use!

See you on the road somewhere, I hope.

I will say I had no intention on getting this far into a project but one thing lead to another and open this and find that and on and on. But as far as perfect goes, it will be far from perfect but it will definitely be usable.

And now we are going to take your approach, travel a lot fix it here and there. Its time to have alittle fun. We will surely meet one day, always is a pleasure to read your post and listen to you tell your stories on how your enjoying your Ezzie, post like that keep me motivated to get ours on the road so we too one day can post about our enjoyments too.

Tags
converter, separation, voltage, gut