Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

2017 27' International
Lawndale , California
First trailer - electrical questions

Hi,

I just got a 2017 international signature 27, and have not yet taken delivery. I am getting calls from the service department telling me that I need to upgrade batteries and something about a converter. Honestly not sure, but he threw a lot of info at me quickly and just wanted a yes commitment on the phone right away, which I did not feel comfortable giving. My first thought was that a brand new trailer from a reputable manufacturer probably comes with a pretty decent set up. Is there anyone with knowledge, time and patience who could maybe help me navigate through these decisions. A friend also got an international Signature 23 at the same time so same questions apply for that trailer as well. Thank you!

Barb
BHecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A common problem with New trailer is the fact that they have sat on a lot for enough time to kill the batteries. The culprit is most likely the CO2 detector that draw current all the time.

There is no one at Airstream with enough intelligence to ship the trailer with the detector disconnected.

I would assume the dealer would be responsible for functional batteries in a new trailer. Your lucky if they died before delivery.

As for the convertor. Again Airstream uses the cheapest convertor they can buy and they tend to cook the batteries if the trailer is plugged in over a long period. Unless you are capable of managing your batteries you will have to upgrade the convertor at some time.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Battery should be replaced free, warranty. Converter, if bad, also free. I'd call dealer to verify and if they insist you have to pay, then call AS. Am I missing something here?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum Barb! Ditto to previous comment, and echoing other comments. New batteries should be free, and a new replacement converter should also be free, but as mentioned, you may want to upgrade the converter now to spare yourself having to do so later (and to save the new batteries from being overcooked by Airstream's inferior OEM battery charger/converter -- IF your trailer has a single stage charger -- you should ask).

TMI for a newcomer, I know, but welcome to the world of Airstreams -- a great brand but not perfect . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Sounds like they are trying to sell upgrades?

Who is the dealer?
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #6

2017 27' International
Lawndale , California

2017 27' International
Lawndale , California

Thanks for replying! The dealer is recommending that I replace the batteries with new, larger sized batteries before I even take delivery. That's what seemed off to me. And I believe something about switching from 30amp to 50amp.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #7

2017 27' International
Lawndale , California
Thanks for your replies! Yes, they are selling upgrades, but I just wasnt sure if they were necessary upgrades. They're also saying that I should add solar. Tough to make these decisions when I have zero knowledge or experience.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHecht View Post
2017 27' International
The dealer is recommending that I replace the batteries with new, larger sized batteries before I even take delivery. That's what seemed off to me. And I believe something about switching from 30amp to 50amp.
The 27 International comes with two Group 24 wet-cell lead/acid batteries. They provide about 85 amp hours of usable power (50% of their stated capacity) and they also require owner maintenance (adding water for example.) Many people, especially those going with solar panels, upgrade the batteries to Group 27 AGM no maintenance batteries which can provide you with about 100 amp hours of usable power. The no maintenance aspect of these batteries and the increased capacity for 'dry camping' may be worth paying for an upgrade. (I am considering do this myself.)

Only trailers with two air conditioners need 50 amp shore power. The 50 amp power cord is heavy and awkward to use if you don't need it. Perhaps, if you only have the one air conditioner the dealer was offering an adapter plug for your 30 amp power cord so that you could plug into a 50 amp supply at a campground.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Quote:
Thanks for your replies! Yes, they are selling upgrades, but I just wasnt sure if they were necessary upgrades. They're also saying that I should add solar. Tough to make these decisions when I have zero knowledge or experience.
I made a big mistake when I had the dealer install solar when we bought our trailer. Like you said, we had "zero knowledge or experience" when we bought it. It never worked right, and took a lot more work to fix it.

Just a suggestion, but use your trailer as it comes until you determine your actual needs, and take that time to educate yourself. Battery and converter upgrades are easy to do down the road. Solar (IMHO) is best left to someone who really knows what they are doing. That may be you after you study it, or may be a professional. But you still need to be educated enough to be confident in what is being done.

There are many, many hours of great threads on solar (and batteries and converters) on this forum. I've also learned a lot from AM Solar's website and Handybob's website.

Enjoy your new trailer and take your time with any changes.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Ask them if the new factory batteries are dead and will not charge. Then ask them why your brand new converter will not charge new batteries on shore power. Then ask them if a 50 amp cable will supply a one AC rig. Assuming you bought a rig with one AC not two. Ask about the wall to wall orange shag carpet upgrade. Ask about the "harvest gold" appliance group.

Ask for curb feelers, and the "special undercoating" and the "diamond gloss" paint surface protectant. Show up on Saturday when they have hotdogs and balloons for the kiddies.
Your "salesman" wear a salmon colored polyester leasure suit with the patent leather white shoes and belt ?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I'd tell them to replace the batteries under warranty and demonstrate that the converter can charge them. Then take delivery and use it a while. My Safari 25 had one group 27 battery. It did fine on overnight camping without hookups. Your two Group 24s have more capacity than a single Group 27.

Read up on here about battery care. Here's my take at the Quick Start User Manual on batteries:
If in storage for a long time, more than a couple of weeks, disconnect the negative cables on both batteries. Don't leave it plugged in to shore power for more than a day or so unless you are using it.

I replaced the converter in my Safari 25 with a Progressive Dynamics PD-9260. It is a 3-stage charger so it won't overcharge the batteries if left plugged in.

Randy at BestConverter.com is a good source of information and hardware if you decide to DIY the converter, but that is not a immediate priority.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Sounds to me like the dealer is trying to push a lot of upgrades on you at a vulnerable moment. I suggest you resist.

Your trailer should be delivered with a good set of batteries that will take and hold a charge. If the factory batteries have been damaged by sitting on the lot too long, the dealer owes you some replacements, under warranty.

Unless you plan to camp off grid a lot, the bigger batteries are not needed. Most owners eventually upgrade the converter, but you have time to decide that and do proper research. Same with any solar installation. Take your time, do your homework.

50 amp electrical service is only needed for two air conditioners, as others have said above.

Shed that pushy salesman, take delivery, and start enjoying your trailer. Welcome to the community.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Batteries Installed At Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
... If the factory batteries have been damaged by sitting on the lot too long, the dealer owes you some replacements, under warranty.
Our dealer is Can-Am RV in London, ON and the trailers don't come from the factory with batteries but they are installed during the PDI just prior to delivery. Does Airstream install batteries for trailers delivered in the USA?
Old 02-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
One of my first actions with my 2016 27 FB was to sell the two Group 24 lead/acid batteries on CraigsList & discard the converter/battery charger that came with the trailer & install two Group 27 AGM sealed batteries & a more complex converter/charger from Randy. No regrets.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
The batteries that come with your new AS will not hold up if you do any dry camping, we installed 2 6V LifeLine and put in a Boondocker BD1260C (60 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Charger) with a Trimetric 2025RV Battery System Monitor.

give a call to my BEST CONVERTER or go on line, they can answer all your questions.

Good lucy with your new TOY.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
I would definitely have them put in the upgraded converter...they should give you a break on the installation as it's an easy job for them,,shouldn't be over $300 installed, you will be glad as you won't cook your batteries when it's plugged in for extended time...the batteries that come with it are adequate and will last several years. They aren't that expensive to replace if needed
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Also, its about AMP hours is the reason I put in AGM Lifeline 6V.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
I've been using Airstream trailers for about 25 years.
None of those things the dealer is trying to sell you are requirements. The upgrades are not necessities. Your unit will function perfectly as delivered from the factory.

Why not take delivery as it is, use the trailer for a while until you know what upgrades you want, then make your own choices.

If you always camp where there are electrical hookups there will be no issues since the trailer is well equipped for that. If you camp where there are no electrical hookups (boondocking) then you will need either a generator or solar panels to fuel the electrical components and/or recharge the batteries when they become 50% depleted. If you add solar you may need more storage capacity (more in quantity, better quality, larger batteries), depending on your camping style. My 25' trailer has one battery. I have boondocked more than a week, using a generator to recharge batteries.

If you are going to the desert to camp with full hookups, where you might need to add a second air conditioner, then you might want to consider upgrading to a 50 amp electrical service. My 34' trailer has the original 30 amp service and only one AC unit. It was comfortable when I was in Florida during summer with 100+ temperature and high humidity. Remember, neither batteries or solar run the air conditioners. They only provide power for 12v components and battery charge. (there are some exceptions of course)

I still use the cheap lead acid batteries that Airstream installs at the factory. You can spend three times the cost for batteries that last twice as long. Unless you feel the need upgrade to solar right now or those original batteries are DOA, you can wait and see.

The original battery charger (converter) in my trailers lasted for over 15 years before I replaced them. The converters that come originally charge at a more constant rate, which does not diminish as the battery reaches full charge. This causes the electrolyte (water acid mix) in the battery to evaporate the water away faster. If you fail to perform maintenance to keep the liquid at the proper level the batteries can be damaged. The upgrade chargers charge rate is varied by the amount of charge that the battery is holding and the temperature of the battery. This varied rate keeps the water from evaporating, therefore less maintenance is required.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Hope this is all making sense to you!

I am wondering if you have sorted this out with your dealer?

Good luck with the new AS.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote