Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Bill,

?????????? Can't really tell from the shot. Is that the battery cable entering from the lower part of the plate, and is that a solid copper buss bar?

In the new blade fuse units, you will generally feed the battery or converter +12VDC into one connection, and the upstream side of the fuses will attach to it. All if your connections then go to the other side of the fuses....or the downstream side. Make sense?....Hope so!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
It's really simple

Get yourself a couple of Trojans or a couple of good AGMs, a nice solar panel and a small Honda generator for those rainy days.

I would NEVER put four heavy batteries on the tongue of MY Airstream!
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I know Trojans are quite popular and certainly a good battery but you might also price the comparable size in the MK-DEKA line for both Gel and AGM. I got what I thought was a good price on two of their Group 24 Gels (needed to fit them in the stock 25' CCD battery box) and delivery in two days. The local RV dealers didn't stock Trojans, offered to get them but not soon enough for our departure date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
Having read numerous threads on the forum about batteries, I am leaning towards pair of AGM batteries. Anyone have any reccomendations as to where I can get good prices on the Lifeline batteries? (So. California)

Also, I noticed that Trojan has an AGM line now which I think is new... anyone have any experience with these yet?

-Torii

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
What it is?

The stuff inside the "yellow box" is all hot wires. What it looks like (with my vast electrical experience :-)) is a way of patching all of the hot wires together. The black wire runs to the light that illuminates the compartment at night when trying to find the burnt out fuse. At first look, I thought there must be some function to having two pieces of metal, one with a slit in it that had something to changing resistance or some other mystical function, but it just looks like a place to connect all of the hot wires together without a big connector. I just thought it was a common thing that everyone had and some even understood. When I swith from the univolt to a more modern system at least I will have a separate fuse block in place.
cheers, bill b.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #25
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
What it is, revisited

Well, that went well. My previous post seems to have evaporated, but since it was confusing thats ok.

Lew.
I see what you mean. The extra block seems to serve the purpose of collecting the wires that go to the hot side of the block and connecting them to the hot side of the battery.

As you said, a new blade style block should have one hot connection which services all 6 circuits and then an "out" wire from the out side of each connection.

Now I just need to identify each circuit so I can be sure to get the right sizes of fuses in the right places.

thanks, bill b.