Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Sorry, but the 19 volts AC is RMS, which is 26.86 peak and 53.72 peak to peak.

The 19 volts AC voltage will make the fan motors that "AIRSTREAM" uses, work about the same as 12 volts DC. That does not apply to "every" type DC motor.

What makes sense, is if you take peak AC voltage times .70711,then you get the effective voltage.

If we take 19 volts AC times the same .70711, then we get 13.43 volts, which approximates the 12 volts DC...
Andy, let me put an extremely fine point on this. If 19 V is the RMS (per ur post above), and 27 V is the peak (per ur post above), then it seems to me that it would be .707 (or 1 over the square root of 2) times 27 volts (the peak, per ur post above), which results in 19 volts.

Yes, I would expect the RMS of a sinusoid with a peak of 27 volts to be 19 volts, not 13.43 volts. Ergo, my confusion. 19 VAC RMS is more oomph than 12 VDC (or even 13.43 VDC). But maybe the magic motors love it anyway.

Zep (why, yes, I am inching close to the fire hose cabinet. why do you ask?)

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Andy, let me put an extremely fine point on this. If 19 V is the RMS (per ur post above), and 27 V is the peak (per ur post above), then it seems to me that it would be .707 (or 1 over the square root of 2) times 27 volts (the peak, per ur post above), which results in 19 volts.

Yes, I would expect the RMS of a sinusoid with a peak of 27 volts to be 19 volts, not 13.43 volts. Ergo, my confusion. 19 VAC RMS is more oomph than 12 VDC (or even 13.43 VDC). But maybe the magic motors love it anyway.

Zep (why, yes, I am inching close to the fire hose cabinet. why do you ask?)
Zep.

Crude, but workable math.

If we take 19 volts RMS AC times the .70711 (which is only used to determine effective AC from peak AC) (strickly as a rule of thumb), then we come up with almost exactly the amount of DC.

Another way to say it perhaps might be, 19 volts AC is the same as 12 volts DC, at least to a series wound low voltage motor.

A test bench easily demonstrates that.

Or another way to put it, is that a 12 volt DC series wound motor, requires 19 volts AC to turn the same RPM.

Andy

Old 12-06-2007, 04:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

With all the Caravel electricians reading this thread, maybe someone can help me. The wires to the front, side (amber) clearance lights are missing. Probably ended up in the nest of the squirls that lived in the under-floor insulation. Where did these wires come out under the floor? The rear clearance lights get their power from the tail light wires and they work, but the front lights usually have seperate wires attatched to the junction under the front corner of the trailer. I don't know how they were routed to the lights from that junction. Any suggestions? And how do I go about threading new wires??? Darol
Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
With all the Caravel electricians reading this thread, maybe someone can help me. The wires to the front, side (amber) clearance lights are missing. Probably ended up in the nest of the squirls that lived in the under-floor insulation. Where did these wires come out under the floor? The rear clearance lights get their power from the tail light wires and they work, but the front lights usually have seperate wires attatched to the junction under the front corner of the trailer. I don't know how they were routed to the lights from that junction. Any suggestions? And how do I go about threading new wires??? Darol
Daryl.

Look underneath the front end of the trailer, just rearward of the A-frame.

You should find what looks like an aluminum patch.

It's actually an access plate where you will find the connections of the various trailer wires, to the 7 way cable that connects to your tow vehicle.

The brake light, turn signal, backup and clearance light wires, are all overhead, not in the frame.

Andy
Old 12-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Andy, That's where I'm looking. In fact, I've enlarged that "Patch" opening to search for the green clearance light wires. I've replaced the wires to the rear of the trailer from that junction and everything back there works. It's the front amber light wires that are missing. Darol
Old 12-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Andy, That's where I'm looking. In fact, I've enlarged that "Patch" opening to search for the green clearance light wires. I've replaced the wires to the rear of the trailer from that junction and everything back there works. It's the front amber light wires that are missing. Darol
Darol

The wire for the front clearance lights goes from the splice area, up thru the front shell.

I would guess that the front clearance light wire has corroded, or got disconnected from the green wire.

Usually that green wire goes upward on the left side (road side) of the front shell.

Try applying 12 volts directly to one of the front clearance lights.

That might provide a clue where the break in the wire is at.

It's not difficult to run another wire but first you need to establish where the circuit is broken, so that you don't have a hot wire floating around in the front shell, when the clearance lights would be on.

Andy
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
...Or another way to put it, is that a 12 volt DC series wound motor, requires 19 volts AC to turn the same RPM.

Andy
Thanks, Andy. What I don't know about electric motors would fill the entire motor book.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
front marker lights wiring

Zep, I wondered why I had a branching green wire at the at the connection to the 7 pin cable. If your coach is wired like mine, there will be a wire nut at the end of the 7pin cable in the patch area and there will be two wires joined there. I knew one ran to the rear of the coach but until now the other was a mystery. My tail light wires run through the frame from front to back.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Another '65 caravel wiring question

I pulled up the old, rotted center section floor in the Caravel today. Underneath the insulation were three petrified mice and a pile of rodent crap and their lunch. (Of course I wore gloves and a respirator mask to avoid the possible ill effects from this Hanta Hilton.) but I digress...

Anway, also laynig on the belly pan were the blue charge wire going to the univolt, a red wire going to the brakes, a huge connection of several white ground wires going to the brakes, the univolt, etc. But there was also this thick yellow wire. What I wonder what this goes to? it was heading toward the univolt, too.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

The yellow wire is usually for the electric brakes. Depending on where you see the wire, it could be going to the axel or to the pigtale connection under the front curbside of the trailer. Did you remove enough floor to see where the front clearance light wires (green) come through the floor into the underbelly space? I'm still trying to fine mine! Darol
Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Speaking of motors mine was not working above the stove.
I removed it and the blade drilled A hole in the lower bearing cover.
I oiled it and put my drill on the fan blade side with power on, iI turned it the direction it went to suck out the heat.
I did this for A while and kept oiling it it soon came back to life and now works fine.
The Airstream Argosy motors are very heavy duty and take A lot of non oil to stop them.
I think water may find its way down there to the bottom.
I like to fix stuff if I can and keep it that way.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Green wire to the marker lights

No, I left the front section of floor for last. And unfortunately I still have the front inner skin in place, so I don't know yet where the green wire passes through.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Intelipower ventilation

I was very happy to see the picture of the factory wiring at the beginning of this post. I thought some vandal had gotten under our gaucho and done some re-wiring. I am looking at replacing the old transfomer with an intelipower and wondered about ventilation. Should I not put it in the closed in compartment at the rear of the gaucho? If so has anyone found a good spot for it? Oh, it's for our Caravel. Thanks in advance.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield
I was very happy to see the picture of the factory wiring at the beginning of this post. I thought some vandal had gotten under our gaucho and done some re-wiring. I am looking at replacing the old transfomer with an intelipower and wondered about ventilation. Should I not put it in the closed in compartment at the rear of the gaucho? If so has anyone found a good spot for it? Oh, it's for our Caravel. Thanks in advance.
Here's a picture showing installation of a new intelipower in my 1965 Caravel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inteli.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	54108  

Tags