Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
1965 Ambassador

Hello. I'm new to this sight and a new owner of a project 1965 ambassador. I am hoping to borrow a little knowledge from those of you that have restored a vintage Airstream. I know this is getting the cart in front of the horse at this time but what do you feel would be a reasonable price for a project 65 Ambassador? Thanks, T.Brom
tbrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrom
what do you feel would be a reasonable price for a project 65 Ambassador? Thanks, T.Brom
Welcome to the forums and congrats on the airstream! Post some pics if you get a chance, they are worth a thousand words and we love to look at them. As to your question of price, well thats sort of like asking how long a piece of string is. It depends on condition, time of year and so on. For example, are the floors in need of repair, or the fridge, are the axles good? what shape is the awning in.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forum also. Take a look at this document.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
It gives some prices for different condition trailers. The document has been around for a while and the prices have gone up some. The costs to repair items has also risen. The document is not perfect, but it is a start.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

I would certainly look at the thread that azflycaster posted above... it is quite good. I would then look at ebay and see what nice condition 65 Ambassadors sell for... look at other vintage sites as well. Compare the two. Depending on the condition you could spend a good deal of money (more than you would get if you sell it!) on a fixer. We did. Boils down to what you want, what you can afford! However....Aluminitis will continue to infect you and suddenly it won't matter what it costs.... gotta have it!

Good luck! Airstreams are great!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
I am sure I am going to get some money involved and even more time. I have one area of bad floor in the back and the frame also needs some work in the same area. I also need a couple of sky lights,(both are cracked) and it has had mice in it. Overall the trailor is solid and needs some TLC. I am happy to have found a resouce such as this sight that has knowledgable people.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
I am actually going to bring her home on saturday. I hope we make the trip with out incident.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
We got it home. It is really dirty and has some issues. I was fortunate to have found the original owners manual in one of the cabinets. The manual contains diagrams and schemetics of all of the mechanicals.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Congrats on getting the Ambassador home! The manual is a great find - sure to come in handy. Be sure to take lots of "before" pictures (and post them!).
Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
NewCastle , Pennsylvania
I am finally hot and heavy back at working on the Ambassador. I am going to remove the oven to replace it with a microwave. The wife wants it so she will have it. If anyone has use for the 65 oven send me a pm. I am wondering if anyone has painted the tail light housings and stove refrig vent covers. I have some silver paint but don't want to ruin the parts.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrom
I am finally hot and heavy back at working on the Ambassador. I am going to remove the oven to replace it with a microwave. The wife wants it so she will have it. If anyone has use for the 65 oven send me a pm. I am wondering if anyone has painted the tail light housings and stove refrig vent covers. I have some silver paint but don't want to ruin the parts.
Funny, I also have an oven for a '65 I removed. Things big enough to cook a Thanksgiving turkey in. Replaced it and the cooktop with a combo oven/range unit. The new oven is small, but enought to hold a pan of cookies or a small roast if we have to cook indoors for some reason. Your tail lights/fridge vent should be similiar to mine and may be quite brittle. The vent can be replaced with new if needed (or just painted if in good shape) and replacement of our vent is on my short list for this year. I don't think new tail light housings are availiable anywhere, however, if they aren't in the best of shape epoxy is your friend. Mine were starting to crack and were pretty thin in spots so I mixed up some epoxy and brushed some thick coats on the housings to preserve them. Then I lightly sanded and painted them. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1966 ambassador