Old 10-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #15
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
Thanks (once again) 2air'...I'll take another look and see if I can find a regular plug...it sounds pretty obvious... Maybe it's that "If it had been a snake..." thing.

TB
Check for the outlet to be mounted on the inner skin, between the upper and lower vents. That's where the outlet is located on my side-vented Safari. There's a baffle between the two vents, so I access the plug from the top vent opening.

Cheers,
-jd.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
Check for the outlet to be mounted on the inner skin, between the upper and lower vents. That's where the outlet is located on my side-vented Safari. There's a baffle between the two vents, so I access the plug from the top vent opening.

Cheers,
-jd.
There she is! Thanks, jd (5cats). You have to kinda stick your head in the upper area to see it, but there it is...right where you said it is! I don't know as I'll ever need to disconnect it, but now I know it's there!

(Watch out, those of you with boufant hairdos...that little exhause fan could catch your hair if it's running! )

Another little AS fact learned today.
TB

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I will add my 2 cents worth when it comes to generators...I work heavy construction and my livelihood lives and dies on power being provided. The Honda and Yamaha generators are the best...PERIOD. I won't own anything else. Personal preference is the Honda's. I have both the inverter type (super quiet) and the contractor quality generators. All have been super dependable, I have one 3500 watt that has seen duty since the late 90's and is still chugging away with nothing more than periodic maintenance. But make sure you buy the name brand Honda and not a "Honda Powered" there is a difference in the quality of the generator portion.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Maybe the Honda's and Yamaha's are not really that quiet.
Maybe we have all just lost most of our hearing from those obnoxious generators that people buy for a few hundred bucks and run them in a campground.

Two weeks ago we were camped in the mountains and this SOB (you decide) pulls out this 6K contractor generator (7:00pm), starts it up and leaves! He took his family to town (45 minutes each way) to have diner and decided it would be a great time to charge his battery. Everyone puts up with this for about 30 minutes and someone goes and shuts it off. You could hear the cheers from all over the woods.

Next day they take off for town again (lunch) and pulls the same stunt. This time he returns to find the spark plug missing. Always have the right tools for the job!

Think he got the message?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Richard,

You seem to know a lot about this…hmmm.

Gene
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #20
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
[...]Another little AS fact learned today.
TB
But wait, there's more.
On the Refrigerator outlet.
Check the upper vent frame: it's a single, formed piece of aluminum, joined at the bottom/center. Mine was unsealed at this joint, and water would collect there and drip directly into the GFCI outlet directly below.

On the Penguin 13.5K BTU A/C unit.
My documentation/specifications for this unit list:
  • Compressor Rated Load (A): 12.4
  • Man Motor Rate Load (A): 3.5
Further, the documentation for my Yamaha EF2400iS states a rated output of 16.7A. It makes no mention of any surge capacity, although the online specs indicate 2400W (i.e., 20A) capacity.

Although I've not measured the actual draw myself, other folks have reported (hearsay!) that the steady-state draw runs ~ 11-12A.

I can say in my experience that my EF2400iS -- on propane -- barely notices the A/C startup, though I do make a habit of setting the fan on LOW speed and have it already running before engaging the "COOL" setting to kick in the A/C compressor... I'm pretty sure these modern units do, in fact, include a "soft-start" capacitor that takes some of the sting out of the startup hit on the electric source.

So I'm very pleased with my generator, and not at all worried about the A/C.

There: a nickle's worth

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I would guess muffler and partly cause it's an inverter generator. I have the propane converted 1000 (cause I have a 15k btu a/c unit the 2400 wouldn't power) and for what I use it for, it's been remarkable. We had a major storm here back in August where the power in most of the town was out for about 4-5 days. That little generator powered my fridge, TV, a fan and a light. Was on for nearly 18 hours those 5 days and I still haven't used a 20lb LP tank, and have 27 hours on the first tank total (half to 3/4 rated load).

Ditto the comments on the Yamaha inverter gens...my 1000 I am very pleased with!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:11 AM   #22

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Honda has always had a reputation for building mechanically quiet motors. Without proper clearances the reciprocating components (rod, wrist pin, piston...) can make a clatter. Their OHC motors have less moving parts than a rocker arm style, thus less stuff to clank and click. On these new gensets they have done a great job muffling the exhaust AND the intake. I have a contractors unit with a 8 HP Briggs with a few mods to reduce the exhaust and intake noise (made a huge difference) but the engine still rattles like a bucket of bolts.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I just looked at an EU1000, and Eu2000, and an EU3000 today at the new Camping World in Winchester, Va.

The 3000 is the one I'm mainly looking at.

I picked it up. I could lift it into a truck bed, but it's a hoss.

I'm kind of going back and forth between the Yamaha 3000 with boost and the Honda 3000, vs. a pair of the 2000's. It's basically $150 cheaper to buy the Honda 3000 than a pair of 2000's.

We'll see. I'm still reading what you guys say about them. But, it's looking to me like I couldn't go wrong with any of these three routes.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Jim,
Remember, that was likely dry weight. They'll be a bit heavier with any fuel in the tank. Right now I'm leaning to towards the two EU2000i's because I won't be using them connected together most of the time. This has been a very infomative thread.

Decisions...
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
The eu2000 in parallel has some great advantages. If you think you'll only need one unit 90% of the time then I'd go this route. In fact, I'd get one first and see if you really need the second! For a trailer 24' or less I wouldn't be surprised if that's all you ever need.

My bet would be that the AC on a 31' Excella, especially down south will require more umpf than a single eu2000 can deliver. If you think you'll be using both generators more than 50% of the time then I'd be looking at a different solution. The Honda 3000 is going to be a chore to move around. If you plan to leave it in a pick-up bed most of the time then maybe it's not such a big deal but I'd count on having ramps and a wheel set-up or two people to hoist it around.

If you're looking at a propane conversion then factor in the price of the conversion kit X2 plus the hassle of the extra hose connections. That's what really turned me off on the idea of using two in parallel although it would definitely have advantages in many situations.

Don't forget about the Yamaha 2800. At 70# it's still portable and the noise level while definitely more than the Hondas won't get you kicked out of any campgrounds. Not much more than a single eu2000. Certainly WAY cheaper than two plus the parallel kit plus 2X for propane conversion.

Another consideration is maintenance on two generators. I don't camp much (at all) during the winter but the generators are much happier if they're used at least once a month. Gas goes "stale" pretty quickly and these highly tuned motors (both Yamaha and Honda) really don't like bad gas. You also double up on oil changes, cleaning the spark arrestor, etc.

-Bernie
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
You guys all make good points. I see pros and cons to all of the different gensets.

I will have to read up on the 2800 Yamaha. I don't know much about it. Same goes for the 2400. I just figured the next logical jump above the 2000 would be the 3000; especially the one with the boost. But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

The two in parallel does make a lot of sense. And truth be known, I've only needed a generator once so far.

I'll actually be powering a 34' Avion with it. And while it's got a 13,500 a/c in it now; I'm going to replace it with a 15,000 when it finally kicks the bucket. So I want to make sure I have enough oomph. But that being said, I'd see me really needing it more in the cold than in the warm. I could be wrong though. I just want to make sure I have more than enough rather than less than enough.

I'm a pretty strong guy, but 70lbs on a rainy night sounds better than 170!

I do have to admit, I'm really intrigued by solar. We did some boondocking a couple weeks ago and the furnace seems to pull either 6 or 11 amp hours when it runs (I'd have to go out and look at the scale, but it's just past the notch). That's by far the biggest draw. So let's say the furnace ran four hours from dark to sunup, that's 44 amp hours. How much would a roof full of solar replenish during the day? I'll have to brush up on my electrical engineering to correlate all this. The gauge in the trailer reads amp hours, but I'm not sure how that equates to watts. Anyway, would the solar be able to make up for the loss?

The only other issue is wifey's hair dryer. That takes a lot That and the microwave.

Hey, if we wanted to rough it, we'd have a tent

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #27
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
One neat accessory for the Yamaha 3000 iSE/B is the wireless remote start kit.

OK, $431 smacks is rich, but how cool would it be to light it up with the push of a button?

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Jim,
Sounds like you'd do well to get the Honda eu2000. One thing to ask is during the summer when you think you'd need the A/C how often will you not be able to plug into shore power? There's a good chance the eu2000 will power the 13,000BTU AC and since the new units are probably more efficient it may work fine for that too. Worst case is you need to buy a 2nd eu2000 and the parallel kit but if you're going to keep two trailers then this has some obvious benifits too. And moving 50#, even if you have to do it twice is easier than the 70# ef2800 and way easier than the Honda 3000. Not only lighter but the eu2000 is so compact that you'll end up taking it along on many trips where you'd decide the 3000 just wasn't worth the hassle (sorry honey, use a towel ).

The only downside is the limited run time on the eu2000. Even with it's miserly fuel consumption the tank is only thimble size. That's easily remedied though by having it converted to dual fuel (propane and gas).

It's really pretty hard to go wrong with this choice since even if you decide you want something different (which you won't know without trying) the resale on the Hondas is so good you'll get almost all your money back.

-Bernie