Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Seams like everything in life is a crap shoot. 2 years and our ZAMP system is still up and running. I let you know when it bits the bullet.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #22
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Replacing solar roof flex panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We started using Flex Panels 10 years ago on our Alto trailers and Airstream's 6 years ago. Once we knew that ducted air was coming we started testing them on Airstream's just because the flat panels are so unattractive on the more curved roof of the ducted air units.

Hey now Andy, I like the looks of my flat panels + ducted air . This array puts out 750-800watts during peak hours / and yields 5.5kwh+ per day. Flexible panels with the same area simply wouldn’t yield the same output.

Here is an example of “less expensive” flexible panels after a couple years :

https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for-rv/

As with most things in this world, you get what you pay for [emoji14]

Lew has a little bit of experience in this space [emoji4]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	327317  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
If you take a look, most flex panels have a one year (or less) warranty. Good flat panels come with longer warranties.
The Solbian semi-flexible panels I previously mentioned come with a 5-year defect and power warranty. They are made for marine and mobile applications, and the warranty covers use in these environments. See the electric car example.

The Solara semi-flexible panels have a similar warranty.

When you purchase rigid or semi-flexible panels, recommend ensuring that the manufacturer's warranty applies to mobile applications.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Heat

The biggest challenge with flexible panels is heat. Research has shown that they cannot dissipate heat as well as the aluminum framed glass coated panels as they are fixed to surface of the trailer - and heat transfer occurs. There are examples on the net of the panels boiling in spots. All it takes is for one of the array cells in the panel to break or fry and the entire panel loses its output. The top issues the researchers found was cracking and overheating for flexible panels.

There are some recommendations starting with ensuring you do not exceed the bend limits of the panels and to mount them above the surface of the aluminum (especially in places close to the equator) with an air gap. Also as mentioned the panels with a one year warranty are certainly not as well made nor as durable as those with longer warranties.

Finally having installed different types of arrays, make sure that you do not have your array all in one series. Losing one panel will shut the entire array down. Try and use a balanced approach of shade versus output versus wire density versus battery type. Someone once mentioned somewhere online that particularly in solar installations you "get what you paid for". Make sure someone who knows what they are doing is installing your panels.

And the flexible panels are more expensive . . . Just saying.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristof View Post
The biggest challenge with flexible panels is heat. Research has shown that they cannot dissipate heat as well as the aluminum framed glass coated panels as they are fixed to surface of the trailer - and heat transfer occurs. There are examples on the net of the panels boiling in spots. All it takes is for one of the array cells in the panel to break or fry and the entire panel loses its output. The top issues the researchers found was cracking and overheating for flexible panels.

There are some recommendations starting with ensuring you do not exceed the bend limits of the panels and to mount them above the surface of the aluminum (especially in places close to the equator) with an air gap. Also as mentioned the panels with a one year warranty are certainly not as well made nor as durable as those with longer warranties.

Finally having installed different types of arrays, make sure that you do not have your array all in one series. Losing one panel will shut the entire array down. Try and use a balanced approach of shade versus output versus wire density versus battery type. Someone once mentioned somewhere online that particularly in solar installations you "get what you paid for". Make sure someone who knows what they are doing is installing your panels.

And the flexible panels are more expensive . . . Just saying.

Makes me feel better on our ZAMP flex panels as we like to camp in the cooler times of the year and in the northern states.

Be well, best regards, and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Howdy,

Most of my experience is with the Go Power panels that are found on the Airstream Interstate. These degrade rapidly and unless maniacally cleaned at regular, short term intervals, are just about worthless. Couple this with the controller that Airstream has used for a decade (or more) and you get a product that effectively will simply not work well or not at all in a short order.

I have tried these soft panels from several manufacturers about 3-4 years ago and they all have been effectively worthless after a short duration on the roof.

My suggestion is ALWAYS hard panels; either permanently located on your roof or a portable unit (up to 200 watts) that always seems t keep giving you the solar power that you have paid for.

Please let me know if any of you have more questions.

Thanks!
How do you hook up to a portable panel? Is there a wire harness or connector to wire into the existing wiring to add?
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I live in the cooler zone. Believe it or not the flex thin panels really suck here. I was out at my camper putting out 14.6 volts in the rain and cold the other day - proud. These were renogy poly panels.
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
The Solbian semi-flexible panels I previously mentioned come with a 5-year defect and power warranty.
And a 100 W Solbian panel costs around a thousand bucks, which is six or seven times what a 100 W rigid panel with twice the warranty will run you.

If you need a super-lightweight panel that you can mount on your boat's bimini, and you have money to burn, these are a good choice. But for most of us RVers, the extremely high cost per watt makes them uncompetitive.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
My family used to own the largest solar supply company In Australia (Tasman Energy). Almost every flex panel ever sold failed prematurely. Many brands were tested. All brands were given the flick and they were never sold again. Until a brand has been tested and shows it can hold up to extreme heat for 10 years or so without negative effect installing them will always be a gamble.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
How do you hook up to a portable panel? Is there a wire harness or connector to wire into the existing wiring to add?
Others will scoff...but I went KISS thru the 7pin.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d92.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	329921   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1d40.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	329922  

Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Saint Louis , Missouri
Pics of the factory installed solar before I replace

Here is the factory installed solar on my 2015 AI EXT. I'm getting to know my roof and plan out the solar panel replacement. Adding to the forum library of poorly installed/designed AI stuff.

I've thought about just using this wiring and putting my suit case panel up here each trip until I have done the install. It's 20 degrees outside and doing an install in the cold is not appealing to me.

You can see the corrosion on the plug and connectors.

1. Does anyone know the type of connectors these are? The name of it?
2. When replacing would you just get rid of the plug connector with a plate and a permanent wiring?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190102_134115.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	330918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190102_134111.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	330919  

Name:	IMG_20190102_134107.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	330920  
Old 11-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Zamp flex fail.

Just had our flex panel replace with in the two year Zamp warranty though the dealer charged over $700 to do the replacement. Wise the dealer would have told me about the Zamp two year failure rate on the flex panels. Then I would have installed something else. Now in two years I'll have to do it all over again though this time not with Zamp flex panels. My roof is looking like swiss cheese thanks to the dealer, won't be going to them next time.

https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for...lexible-panels
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If a flex panel fails at 2 years and costs X dollars, you probably will be able to find somebody selling one at 3X dollars with a 4 year warranty. The panel isn't any better. They just are hanging on to your money and using it to buy the next one or two ....

No, that's not to say that there is no other way to do it, only that you can run a company that way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:03 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If a flex panel fails at 2 years and costs X dollars, you probably will be able to find somebody selling one at 3X dollars with a 4 year warranty. The panel isn't any better. They just are hanging on to your money and using it to buy the next one or two ....

No, that's not to say that there is no other way to do it, only that you can run a company that way.

Bob
You still have to pay for labor to get the replacement installed. Next panels I get are going to be easily unscrewed so I can easily replace them myself. Flex panels are to hard to replace.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:30 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech View Post
You still have to pay for labor to get the replacement installed. Next panels I get are going to be easily unscrewed so I can easily replace them myself. Flex panels are to hard to replace.
Hi

Somebody will pay. Who pays depends on how you write the warranty.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
West Linn , Oregon
No more flexible panels for any of my friends. A fellow AS owner had noticed a drop in charging this summer when we were camping. After testing the system we ripped the panels off, scraped the putty off as much as we could and installed some rigid panels.
Found the exact OEM panels on sale. They are supposed to be blemished but I couldn't find anything wrong with them. https://www.solaroverstock.com/colle...-panel-b-grade

What a waste of time. I wonder if any of the RV manufacturers are still using flexible products at the factory. It seems so short-sided to me. Long story short I had been reading this thread and it basically confirmed my suspicions. I'm so happy my little trailer did not have those panels. You learn a little bit more every year.
Recneps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Hey now Andy, I like the looks of my flat panels + ducted air . This array puts out 750-800watts during peak hours / and yields 5.5kwh+ per day. Flexible panels with the same area simply wouldn’t yield the same output.

Here is an example of “less expensive” flexible panels after a couple years :

https://amsolar.com/solar-panels-for-rv/

As with most things in this world, you get what you pay for [emoji14]

Lew has a little bit of experience in this space [emoji4]

Your setup is our goal. Thank you for sharing your setup and the process to get there. Have a great day. Happy trails.