Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
LP Conversion for Portable Generators

I have a pair of Yahama 2000is. Am considering conversion to LP to run from the trailers LP supply. Any suggestions from the group on which conversion kit to use and any complications of installation? Also is there any impact on generator output when it runs on LP?
Old 01-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
US Carb has been doing this for quite some time. They fairly recently developed a new, very simple system / conversion kit. I bought one about a month ago but haven't had the time to install it, so I can't give any feed back on function.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Keep us updated MarkR as I plan to purchase a couple Yamaha 2000 gens & eliminating the gas can is a plus.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Danville , California
I converted my Honda generators to LP the day I purchased them and haven't looked back since. It's a good decision.
tkb2041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I have twin Yamaha 2000's with the propane conversion from US Carb. I'm very happy with the conversion and their service.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Like tkb2041 above, I converted two brand new Honda 2000s to LP and they have never seen a drop of gasoline. Dreams of reliability, safety and convenience drove me to that decision and it has been everything I hoped for.

I used the propanecarbs.com kits. Install was easy. Setup and tuning easy also. Performance in practice has been perfect. They sell Yamaha kits also.

There are many threads on this subject in Airforums. Use google (lp generator conversion airforums) to supply yourself with boundless info from the community.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
In theory the electrical output will be slightly less on propane because there are less BTU's in propane than in gasoline. I don't know if you will notice this in actual use unless you are really pushing the limits of the generator. I think propane is a better fuel overall considering that it's hard to find gasoline without ethanol in it. It seems like the gasohol blends cause problems when letting small engines sit for long periods. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
How far away from the trailer can you put the generator? Do you have to unhook one of the propane tanks and hookup the generator to that tank? Did you convert the generator from gas to propane or did the company that sold you the generator install the conversion kit? I am not handy at mechanical things so what seems easy to some people could be difficult for me. Thanks for your help!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I converted a Smarter Tools generator to the tri fuel system propane, natural gas, and gasoline over a year ago to use with my small teardrop trailer. Work great. Got the kit from from USCarb.com.

Another good source is local propane supplier many of them could do it for you. I needed an extra part and they have all the fittings. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
In theory the electrical output will be slightly less on propane because there are less BTU's in propane than in gasoline. Leland

US CARB Dual Use conversion done in 2007.

The electrical output is the same, the genset really doesn't care what it's running on. The KW/HP of the engine will be slightly less.
RPM, with eco off is 3000, whether on LPG or petrol, I've never demand stressed the Honda enough to create a problem with the slightly less efficiency of the LPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brownfield View Post
How far away from the trailer can you put the generator?
Pretty far....

I use 3/4"id, 12' long with quick disconnect couplers.

Bob
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brownfield View Post
How far away from the trailer can you put the generator? Do you have to unhook one of the propane tanks and hookup the generator to that tank? Did you convert the generator from gas to propane or did the company that sold you the generator install the conversion kit? I am not handy at mechanical things so what seems easy to some people could be difficult for me. Thanks for your help!

I connect mine into the front LP port on the trailer. Works great. I also used the USCarb kit. They run 50% off sales a few times during the year. Doing the installation is pretty simple. I did read the instructions a dozen times to make sure I understood them before proceeding. They do recommend that you run your new unit for at least two hours on gas before doing the conversion.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I also use the gas qd on the front of the trailer. I bought my Yamaha from Central Maine Diesel, already converted. I had done a US Carb conversion of a home generator but I liked the cleaner look of the CMD conversion so I paid a bit more.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I run both Honda's off the lp port on the front of the trailer. I fabricated a quick disconnect tee fitting. The whole sequence is: trailer quick disconnect -to- 10' Camco lp hose -to- the tee -to- the 3' feed hoses that came with the lp kits. Total distance is 13', but my concern was whether the configuration (including the tee and several quick disconnects) could sustain the flow rate needed to power both generators simultaneously. I've tested (and used) this configuration extensively and it had not failed to run and to sustain voltage until the total load exceeds the rating of the two Honda's (which would be expected under any circumstances).

As for installation of the kits, it isn't a good candidate project for a mechanical newbie. However, the sellers of these kits have instructions online (at least propanecarbs.com does) and there are YouTube videos of people doing the work. Check those out to see if you feel it's within your abilities. I'm guessing any local small engine repair shop would do it for a fee if it looks like too much of a DIY task.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Gamma - can you post some pics of the connected generators from trailer to tee to gennies? Please and thank you! 😃

I'm going to have a MA company convert mine but am interested in seeing how you've connected them. Thanks!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Pics and specs

Sure, SteveSueMac...

When loaded for travel the two Honda's ride on a plywood platform on wheels along with up to 2 20pound LP tanks at the front of the truck bed under the tonneau. Here's a pic (I chain and lock them in and have covers when they are not posing for pics):

Click image for larger version

Name:	_779980.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	255847

To run the generators I roll them, platform and all to the tailgate and fire them up. In the rain I open the tailgate but leave them under the rear panel of the tonneau. The exhausts on the generators face rear to enable that mode of operation.

Here they are on the ground during a test. You can see the tee sitting across the top of the generators. The red 3/8" feed hoses came with the kits. The black hose is a stock Camco item connected to the trailer and the tee. The black wires are the Honda parallel kit. There is a 30 amp twist lock to 30 amp rv plug adapter in the companion unit and my standard furion 30 amp umbilical plugged into that:

Name:	_638797.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	255848

Here's a close up of the Camco lp house and the tee:

Name:	_805493.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	255849

I have a post somewhere in a prior thread with specifics on the tee. Let me know if you need anything that detailed

To all: Apologies for hijacking this thread!
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Palmdale , California
Quick question to the group, How much LP does a unit use?
baterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Does anyone know if a conversion kit is available for a Honda EU3000iK. I think this is Also called the Honda handi or something like that

Thanks for any input

Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 01-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Check with uscarb.com. If they don't list a kit call them. Very helpful.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks Dave - I will try to give them a call.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
To baterup: I've done a rudimentary test of LP use. I ran both of my Honda 2000s with a load (I plugged a hair dryer into each at full heat) for one hour with the Eco throttles set to "off". I weighed each LP tank before and after with a bathroom scale. Within the accuracy of the scale, each generator burned 2 lbs of LP per hour.

Conclusions: 1. Gasoline is cheaper per hour than propane. 2. If both of my 30 lb LP tanks were full and no other LP loads were on ( furnace, water heater, fridge, stove) I could run AC for 30 straight hours, charge batteries for 60+ hours (running just one generator) on LP.