Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
lakewood , Colorado
Smile Portable Generators

Hello everyone!

My name is Jim. I am new to this forum. I have been a full time RVer for 2 years and I love it! I do a lot of dry camping - a lot! I am also one who likes his amenities, so I use my generator quite often. I have tried and sold several brands of portable generators over the last 2 years. I have seen and answered quite a few questions about generator issues, so I am fairly knowledgeable in this area. My experience lies in the portable units, not the onboard units like Onan.

As I mentioned above, I sell generators for the RV market. One of the brands I am currently selling is the Boliy Pro3600Si. It is a 3300w model that weighs only 70lbs. I have been using this unit for 6 months and it has worked great! The generator comes with a 2 year parts and labor warranty that includes shipping to and from the service center for warranty work if you select the Platinum Warranty option. I also sell the Kipor line of generators.

Anyway, that is a little bit about myself and what I have to offer.
GeneratorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info. Question, where are the service centers if service is needed?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Welcome from Arvada
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hi Jim, and welcome to the forums.
I do have a question about generators you may be able to answer.
Initial cost (purchase price) aside, what generator would you say has the quietest and most reliable operation? Most of us don't want to disturb our neighbors with a droning generator out in the wilderness, while sipping mudslides in air conditioned comfort.
I had a 4600 watt generator that was fairly economical to run, but you could hear it running a half mile away.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Thanks for the info. How is the sound level of the Boliy Generator that you mention? Also, please share your experience with the other brands that you have tried.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
His website says 53-58db. That's the same as its competitors (assuming measurements from the same distance).
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
Looks like my Yamaha in disguise.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
I gone over the Boliy website thoroughly. If the advertising can be believed, it looks like the ideal generator for our needs; it's suficient, light, quiet, and very reasonably priced. It's cost is 60% of the the other generators and combos that we have been considering, and we can handle the weight easily.

We would love to hear from anyone who has tried one of these generators.

If it is, in fact, a good generator, I'm sure that there will be LP convesion kit eventually available.
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Sounds good so far. About the same price (on sale) and the Honda eu2000i, only more power.
Question: Where are they manufactured?

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW
Question: Where are they manufactured?
The FAQ part of his website shows they are built in China.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
lakewood , Colorado
Boliy Generator

Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Here is a little more information about this generator and myself. I am a solo RVer and I have always wanted the power to run my A/C, etc. I used to have a Kipor 2600w model that would do it at lower elevations, but as soon as I went up in elevation, it would lose power. All generators lose power as you go up in elevation. I thought about the Kipor 3000w model but I couldn't manage pulling 130lbs in and out of my Suburban all of the time. So when I saw the Boliy had more power and half the weight, I jumped on it! If you look on my web site under "About Us", you'll see that I was running A/C at 8000' with no problem. Not that I needed to run my A/C at 8000', but even at 5000' the Kipor 2600w model wouldn't do it - I have a 13,500 BTU unit.

I will try to answer your questions about this generator:

They are manufactured in China by a large generator company and yes they do look a lot like a Yamaha. In fact the engine is very similar to the Yamaha's. I know China has gotten a lot of hard knocks lately, but I have been selling Kipor and Boliy for almost 2 years now and they have had a great track record.

The service center is in California at this time. If you purchase the generator with the Platinum Warranty and you needed warranty work done, all of your costs would be covered, including shipping. They plan on expanding to have service centers across the USA. I am sure the price will go up substantially when they do. If anyone was watching the Kipors, this is what happened with them. We stand behind the product 100% and we are the only ones who offer the Platinum service agreement.

The sound level is rated by the manufacturer at 53-58db. The Honda 3000 is rated at 49-58db. So it is an overall quieter unit than the Boliy. The Boliy is MUCH quieter than a $400 contractor generator from an auto parts store! I had a 1200w $140 contractor generator and I was ashamed to even turn it on!

The big difference here is the WEIGHT. As I mentioned above, price aside, there is no way that I could manage the 130-150lb generators. In fact Boliy is the only generator that can give you this kind of power to weight ratio.

I have used and sold the Kipor generators and they are also wonderful units.

Money aside and WEIGHT aside, the Honda and the Yamaha have the largest dealer base and are the quietest units I have heard.

I have tested the unit at 2960 watts, continuous, so there power rating is correct.

So what am I selling? A quiet generator that is half the price and half the weight of its competitors. This generator is not for everyone. If you have the money and can handle the weight issue of Honda or Yamaha or kipor, than that would be the way to go. I would love to say "By this generator! It is the one and only option!" But that would be just a bunch of...

Well, I hope I answered everybody's questions. Thanks again for the warm welcome and taking the time to read this novel...
Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Nice to see more copetition in the market place. I like the fact that they included a "standard" 30A RV plug. Not so good is that they only have a single standard outlet for pluging in a regular extension cord. My Yamaha has a twist-lock plug which is in my opinion a better connector. It's standard for boats but for RVs the 30A design is everywhere. Although I've heard the newer AS trailers have opted for the twist-lock on the trailer rather than the hardwired pigtail.

One other thing I don't see is a parallel option. That's a big plus for the Honda. Although with the power output you get almost as much from one Boliy as you would from two eu2000 units!

I tried to find a little more info on the actual engine since this is one area Honda (and Yamaha) have extensive experience and a golden reputation. My Yamaha for example uses a cast iron sleeve which is tried and true technology for a long lasting engine. The Boliy adverises:

a high quality engine with special Nikasil (nickle alloy) coating for durability and efficiency.

Various coatings and alloys have been tried and resulted in both success and spectacular failure. Those of us that have been around the block once or twice remember GMs Vega. Even Porche with is 928 was a spectacular failure. BMW on the other hand has had pretty good results.

I'm always interested to figure out how a claimed increase in power can be accomplished without an increase in weight and/or cost. Boliy is claiming the use of a true DSP computer controlled inverter is what makes the difference. Could be but you wonder why Honda wouldn't be using this technology as well. Maybe because they've never been challenged by the competion??

I'd sure be tempted to buy one based on the performance claims and the price. As it is I'm happy with what I've got for now and even happier to let someone else test out the bleeding edge technology. Of course the other big issue is the dealer network. If your Honda needs attention when you're camped near some small town village in the mountains you'll probably find someone that sells and/or services it. The warrantee is nice but not something you want to have to take advantage of when you're on vacation.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
lakewood , Colorado
I know. It is nice to see some competition in this market. It used to be Honda and Yamaha. So either you had to buy one of their products or endure the teeth rattling Briggs and Stratton types of generators.

It looks like the advancement in technologies has moved into the portable generator market. With the advent of Green technologies and the high cost of gasoline, I’m guessing this is just the beginning.

I used to buy the most expensive computers available, hoping I wouldn’t have to buy another one for awhile. But I have gotten burned by that. Now I just look for something that will work for me – and work well. Then when the next 2-3 generations come out, I make another move. It looks like this will probably be what happens in the generator market. I have already heard rumors of a 60lb, 3000w electric start generator coming out sometime next year. So I guess we’ll just have to plan on buying generators every year or two…Ha!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Generator Guy -

I've gone over all of the Boliy information on your website, and I'm quite impressed. I do have a couple of questions. Have any of these units been converted to run on LP gas? Also what are the service intervals, and difficult are these unit to service?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
A special warranty would only be as good as the availability of parts behind it. What is the availability of a wide range of parts and service manuals for those that don't choose the warranty; filters, gaskets for engines and carburetors, rings, valves, etc.? Can one order parts locally? Are they in stock in the US so they can be delivered overnight or must they be shipped from overseas? Having a good network of dealers for parts and service locally is important to me. What's available in California?

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
lakewood , Colorado
Hi Moosetags,

I have not heard of anyone converting them to LP. The engine design is basically identical to the Yamaha 171cc but I don't know what external modifications would be required. As far as the service; there is an oil drain plug for changing the oil on the bottom of the unit. I change my oil about every 100-150 hours. I have checked, but I have not needed to clean my air filter and I have about 300 hours on my unit. Most of this use was in the desert. The air filter takes a little more effort to get at. You have to remove the right side panel.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
lakewood , Colorado
Motoman,

The service center is located in San Diego. They keep all of the parts in stock. I have a couple of manuals for download on my web site. One is a service manual. I have not perused it in depth, so I don't know if it covers everything that you would need to know.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

I have already heard rumors of a 60lb, 3000w electric start generator coming out sometime next year.

Are we talking Honda or Yamaha here? If so, I'll wait before purchasing...
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
lakewood , Colorado
Neither. It's going to be a new brand, from what I hear.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
_

. , .
hi gen guy and welcome to the forums...

it has been an odd week here, with 4-5 vendors and manufacturers joining and posting...

to promote their products.

it's gonna be interesting to see how this goes.

go luck with your business.

personally i have NO INTEREST in mailing/shipping a genset for service, even with a warranty.

or the notion of disposable/upgrades every 2 years.

i expect to be using my honda 10 years from now and with service/dealers widely available...

which is part of the appeal of honda and eventually yamaha.

we had some discussion of the k-por model exactly 2 seasons ago in this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ors-19770.html

below is my post with 'honda dealer' comments...

perhaps you'd like to address or clarify some of these issues as related to this new player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi gen setters.....

several in this thread were considering the kipor generators.....

these are described basically as honda knockoffs.....well at least by the kipor people.

while at the rv show last week end, i spent 30 minutes discussing the 3 brands (honda, kipor, yamaha) with a dealer/service rep for honda....

i explained that i already had my honda and really liked it but knew some folks considering the kipor and yamaha. i asked him to sumarize the "issues" for the other brands.....knowing i already own a honda.

kipor:
while most of the parts are stamped from molds of honda bits....
that is where the similarity ends.....

-honda has steel lined aluminum cylinders; kipor is full aluminum...so cylinder walls are much less durable...

-honda has compression regulator? at start up that makes the hand pulling easy and smooth; kipor does not....even most lawn mowers have this now.

-honda makes very clean juice....almost pure sine wave output from the converter; kipor electrical output is "as rough as a brushless motor"...apparently this means it is a very square sine wave and this output is hard on appliances and many electric motors, tvs and so on....he has put them on a device that shows the output, volts, wave and so on...."very primative electricity" was his description

-parts.....kipor has virtually no dealer/service network and honda parts do not FIT exactly....he has tried to service several kipor units for customers...just so he could take 'em apart and learn...
and has called the main kipor usa sales site....they told him to "take it to a honda shop"...when he informed him he was the region honda repair facility.....they said "sorry but we can't fix em yet either...call back in a few months"...

-gaskets and seals.......his examination suggested the materials were very poor and all of the kipors he tried to service had mulitple leaks inside the housing...mostly oil and fuel.

on the yamaha models he felt yamaha was doing a good job for being so late to the game......clean electric output......well machined....no leaks....the 2 issues he mentioned were.....

1.-honda is very conservative in 'rating' the electric output and across the line is 5-10% under rating so that the customer gets at least the rating....always.......the yamahas are over rated for output...by about 3-5%.....this isn't much but when needing start up power for an a/c or other compressors, or power several devices...this becomes very important
2.- honda has the highest reliability rating for any gen producer(onan has lots but we weren't including them in this discussion)....and also has the most service sites with parts that are readily available....yamaha still doesn't have many repair/service centers and the reliablity record is too early to describe....

while the air-life article suggested the yamahas were 8-11dbs louder...
the honda guy said the yamahas were in fact only 2-3dbs louder for similar sized models...

hope this helps some still thinking on this issue......

has anyone (known forum member) purchased a kipor yet to give us a report?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote