Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

"The hard cold facts tend to get muddled with passion, while in the background the folks who use WHATEVER don't seem to even worry about those facts!"

“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”
― Albert Einstein

Airstreaming has much more to do with rationalizing facts than whether the facts being rationalized are themselves are factual.

The most important Airstream fact...owning one makes you feel good, but unlike sex is completely unnecessary.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
My thoughts exactly as I read through this thread. Unfortunately, the fuel I would burn in camp with a generator would probably be miniscule compared to what my truck consumed on the trip.
Keep in mind that it's additive: Any fuel used by the generator is in addition to the fuel your truck used to get to the destination.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I would like to have solar panels, but cost wise versus usage doesn't make sense to me at this time. I have a nice generator and haven't really used it that much either. Not running a generator for a carbon foot print point of view makes no sense to me since most all of us burn tons of fuel in our tow vehicles getting to these places that we want to go to. As for freezing, it's 32 degrees F, the point where water freezes.
Robert,
I doubt that many who install solar do it in consideration of minimizing carbon footprint. I for one did it for the convenience and pleasure of not creating noise in the natural environments that we seek for camping. I also have a generator, a Yamaha 2400 that is as 'quiet' as any made. I've used it three times when we 'needed' A/C. I don't even carry it except during trips down south in summer heat. The convenience of a rooftop solar installation that ensures charged batteries when you pull into a camp site, maintains them while camping, and is completely quiet and maintenance free is absolutely worth the investment for me. As for economics, my investment in quality solar hardware was less than that for my generator. Both were a small fraction of the cost of our new Airstream. I did pay my dealer for the installation on the Airstream, but one could certainly DIY as I did on my Casita.

To each his own. I only hope that generator users will be considerate and limit run time when in otherwise quiet environments. At the risk of mimicking Henry David Thoreau, we go camping to relax, to escape the noise and complexity of daily life, to live quietly and enjoy nature. We should treasure and protect that opportunity.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Ironically I also have a Yamaha 2400 generator. I also went to Alaska last year too. I also brought my generator and about 4 1/2 gallons of gas [in a 5 gallon can] for the generator or my tow vehicle if needed. After 50 days and over 10,000 miles, on this trip, I came home with the generator and spare gas un-used. But it felt good knowing that we had them if needed.

We also came home with some new rock dings too.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:30 AM   #45
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"we go camping to relax, to escape the noise and complexity of daily life, to live quietly and enjoy nature. We should treasure and protect that opportunity."

Our generator is as quiet as any unsupervised child, dog or stereo.

I'm just glad all this generator loud talk is taking place here where it can't be heard rather than at the campground where it would drown out everything.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
The source of noise while camping makes a difference to me,I will have quads,a Jeep or a Loud Diesel to off road in,Even some loud Grandkids.They are all happy sounds,a generator just tends to take us back to that other world we drove hours to get away from.
Although I also have that back-up Honda just in case......
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #47
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Maybe quieter. Normal human conversation (no shouting) is about 55~60 dB. A Honda eu2000 generator puts out about 58 dB. A barking dog is around 70 dB, though some high-pirched lapdogs seem louder. Alarm clock radios are about 80 dB, and stereos are usually louder than that. Most usually when they're playing a genre of music you don't like. Screaming children can pump out an amazing 105~110 dB if they try.

But none of this has anything to do with solar power, so I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Thumbs up Solar

We have solar on our Argosy and love it! Sold our home and bought 63 acres with nothing on it, only a road in. Solar has kept us quite comfortable with the Honda 2000 as a backup. Last winter we were in Arizona for 3 months and had no backup and no hookups for 3 months. We never went without power. Powers everything but the ac..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #49

1967 17' Caravel
Bolton , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Rick, our panels are attached with, believe it or not, tape. Not just any tape - it's a very special, extra strong, no-holes-in-the-skin tape solution. I'm not sure if it came with the solar panel kit or was simply recommended. It's worked fine for thousands of miles of towing, and in blistering heat and freezing cold.
Hi web spinner,
I am planning to add solar panels and was hoping you might describe the install with tape. Are the panels (which brand ?) you used flexible and are they therefore attached with the tape for their full length and width? Is this a double sided tape? The tape sure seems like the way to go, but I' m having trouble visualizing it. I have installed rigid panels on a boathouse, with bolts, through brackets with a mere 2 inch by 2 inch footprint.
Thanks for any light you can shed.
Mike
mrharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrharrison View Post
Is this a double sided tape? The tape sure seems like the way to go, but I' m having trouble visualizing it. I have installed rigid panels on a boathouse, with bolts, through brackets with a mere 2 inch by 2 inch footprint.
The tape is placed only on the four "feet" of the solar panel, not the length of the panel. The tape is extremely strong. Here's a demo of it:
3M!
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Here's another

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

Ha! According to the demo above (last quarter of vid), Airstream should be taping the trailers together instead of using rivets!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
We want to go solar, but just don't have the available cash right now. Any idea how much to budget for a 200 - 250 watt system installed (assuming something from AM Solar or equivalent)? I am guessing somewhere around $2,000 to $3,500. Am I in the ballpark or just dreaming? Maybe I should send a letter to Santa....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
Ha! According to the demo above (last quarter of vid), Airstream should be taping the trailers together instead of using rivets!
Hi, my aluminum bodied Grumman Olson, P-30, Mac Tools truck was riveted and glued together.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
We want to go solar, but just don't have the available cash right now. Any idea how much to budget for a 200 - 250 watt system installed (assuming something from AM Solar or equivalent)? I am guessing somewhere around $2,000 to $3,500. Am I in the ballpark or just dreaming? Maybe I should send a letter to Santa....
You can do it in stages if you plan it right.buy a big enough controller,cables etc and add panels and Battery capacity as it fits into the budget,
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
I got a 200 watt system from AM Solar with inverter for $3.5k, installed. Local (mobile) guy installed it. Since you're in L.A., PM me and I'll give you the specs and the installer's contact info. Installer was great and he knows Airstreams.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
AM Solar provides various kits and you can see them on their web site, including prices. The biggest advantage of solar for me is the benefit of being able to leave the Airstream at the storage facility and have no concern about the state of charge of the batteries when it's time to hook up and go. I also leave the battery switch in the use mode so I don't have to reset anything when it's time to go. The controller provides a float charge as well. It just doesn't get less complicated then that. Winter or summer.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrharrison View Post
Hi web spinner,
I am planning to add solar panels and was hoping you might describe the install with tape. Are the panels (which brand ?) you used flexible and are they therefore attached with the tape for their full length and width? Is this a double sided tape? The tape sure seems like the way to go, but I' m having trouble visualizing it. I have installed rigid panels on a boathouse, with bolts, through brackets with a mere 2 inch by 2 inch footprint.
Mike
My husband ("barts" on the forum) did the installation, so I'll have him chime in on the details I don't believe the panels are flexible. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"we go camping to relax, to escape the noise and complexity of daily life, to live quietly and enjoy nature. We should treasure and protect that opportunity."

I'm just glad all this generator loud talk is taking place here where it can't be heard rather than at the campground where it would drown out everything.

Bob
Agree, and we try to avoid those other sources as well
There's no end to generator discussions, but of course one can simply stop reading.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #60
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
My husband ("barts" on the forum) did the installation, so I'll have him chime in on the details I don't believe the panels are flexible. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.
And the question was:

Quote:
We used the AM kit. In particular:

2 x 100 watt panels w/ mounts, harnesses & acc.
MPPT controller
wiring harness
roof top combiner box
shipping, etc.

I have enough head room on the control and space on the trailer
to add more panels, but this doesn't seem necessary w/ our
LED conversion.

I installed it myself; I'd rate the work level as moderate because of the
work in running wires. The kit is excellent and well worth the money,
as you get all the right stuff w/o looking for it all over.

Prices have dropped since I bought my kit 18 months ago; I spent 1.3K then and it looks like it would be about 1K now in parts.

I definitely think these guys do a good job of engineering their kits;
I think anyone reasonable handy on RVs can install them.

These panels are slightly different, but these are the same mounts:

GO100 Solar Panel Kit | Solar Panel Kits

The panels mount w/ just the foot print of the bracket holding the
panels on, which is about 1" x 2" or so. I used the VHB tape supplied -
has worked perfectly.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote