Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When running two Honda 2000 for AC can you run them on Economy mode and they ramp up for the compressor to start and once the compressor is running they switch down to Economy? This is given there are no other loads on the 120v system

If the two Hondas have to run full bore all the time the AC is running how long would the small fuel tanks last?.

I like the idea of the compactness of the Honda 2000 and if we decide to use AC while dry camping just purchase the companion.

I don't think I would like to haul a 3000 generator on/off the back of my Ram 2500 as the truck sits so much higher than a 1/2. Not sure the wife is able to lift half the weight of a Handi or Champion 3000.

Kelvin
Old 08-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
After noting the drop in rpms with paired EU2000 gens (one set to eco and the other in standard mode) when the AC compressor switched on as well as the delay in the companion ramping up, we were concerned about the longevity of the AC compressor... so we upgraded to a 3000iS with electric start. It stays in the back of the truck for the season and only gets moved at the beginning and end of the season. I kept one of the 2000s "just in case" but have not used it in two years - it has a semi permanent place in the garage. I would not switch back to a pair of 2000s - if for no other reason than the lowered sound level of the 3000iS ... not to mention the electric start on cold mornings. The single 3000 appears to be more fuel efficient than were our pair of 2000s.

It appeared to us that a single 2000iS could run the AC after it started, but not have the ability to start the AC on our 25. In eco mode, the delay in ramping up the rpms on the companion gen was a huge concern for us and we usually took both gens out of eco mode for starting the AC. It was OK to go back to eco as long as the AC compressor stayed on; but if the AC began cycling on/off, we would again hear the delay in the gens ramping up to the needed demand level. See Lew's note above about transient reserve power [and potential damage during compressor starts].
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Am I wrong, or does Honda not recommend a paired set be run with one in eco and one not? Thought I read that somewhere.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here it is from the Honda manual:

"AC PARALLEL OPERATION
PARALLEL OPERATION CABLE
(optional equipment, see page 70)
Before connecting an appliance to either generator, make sure that it is
in good working order and that its electrical rating does not exceed
that of the receptacle.
Most motorized appliances require more than their electrical rating for
startup. When an electric motor is started, the overload indicator (red)
may come on. This is normal if the overload indicator (red) goes off
within 4 seconds. If the overload indicator (red) stays on, consult your
generator dealer.
Connect the parallel operation cable between the EU2000i
Companion to either an EU2000i or another EU2000i Companion
generator following the instructions supplied with the cable kit.
During parallel operation, the Eco-Throttle switch should be in the
same position on both generators"

and this:

"Appliances with large start-up power demands may not allow the
engine to reach normal operating rpm when they are connected to the
generator. Turn the Eco-Throttle to the OFF position and connect the
appliance to the generator
. If the engine still will not reach normal
operating speed, check that the appliance does not exceed the rated
load capacity of the generator.
If high electrical loads are connected simultaneously, turn the
Eco-Throttle switch to the OFF position to reduce voltage changes.
The Eco-Throttle system is not effective for use with appliances or
tools that require only momentary power. If the tool or appliance will
be turned ON and OFF quickly, the Eco-Throttle switch should be in the
OFF position."

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St James , New York
Hi need some information,, I have a 2018 Flying Cloud, that I would like to run my ac on generator. i was at campgrounds this weekend, but very short on electric to my site. ac generator would not kick in... I have 30 amp service.If someone would give me idea on what generator to buy..Thanks
Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
If one has a 50A trailer with two AC units, and two 2KW generators in parallel, can one choose which AC to run? Each AC is wired on a different leg of the 50A service, correct? Do both legs see power when hooked up to the generators, so that everything in the trailer can still be run, obviously respecting the limited wattage available and not running things simultaneously?
Dan P G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P G View Post
If one has a 50A trailer with two AC units, and two 2KW generators in parallel, can one choose which AC to run? Each AC is wired on a different leg of the 50A service, correct? Do both legs see power when hooked up to the generators, so that everything in the trailer can still be run, obviously respecting the limited wattage available and not running things simultaneously?
30A-to-50A adapters energize both legs of the 50A input.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #28

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffin View Post
Hi need some information,, I have a 2018 Flying Cloud, that I would like to run my ac on generator. i was at campgrounds this weekend, but very short on electric to my site. ac generator would not kick in... I have 30 amp service.If someone would give me idea on what generator to buy..Thanks
Any pair of the 2k-class parallel-capable inverter generators should be able to supply that, and be easier to load/unload/transport. The better ones of the 3k class will carry a 15k BTU air conditioner without problems, though I'd recommend being careful about other electric loads (set the refrigerator to gas-only, don't use the electric water heater element, etc.) By better ones, I mean the Honda and Yamaha, and probably the 3.5k Champion. I don't know anything personally about the cheaper ones like the Harbor Freight Predator, but several people on the Forums have tried those and aren't complaining.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote