Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey, just started reading this thread, great info so far, but (and I repeat "just started" and I haven't gotten through the whole thread) but would it be cheaper to have the factory pre-install?

Terry.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Victoria , BC
Hi Terry,

My personal opinnion would be to have the factory prewire it on an Airstream just because they can be more challenging to wire up yourself. However, pricing ranges depending on the quality you choose. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Regards,

AirSolarGuy
AirSolarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #143
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSolarGuy View Post
...have the factory prewire it...
if the question in post 141 is about PREwire...

they all come with this as a standard part of the wiring.

it's doesn't require the buyer to "ask" for solar prewire.

IF the question is about the value or "cheaperness" of having factory INSTALLED solar during assembly...

versus adding a system AFTERWARD...

that question IS covered earlier in this thread and in several others like this...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...lar-35844.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #144
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
AAAhhhhhhhh! Another solar thread!!!!

Speaking of wire, I'm afraid that Airstream is still 'behind the curve' when it comes to installing the proper wire gauge for their solar installations. 12AWG and even 10AWG just doesn't cut the mustard any longer. They are, after all, still about profit from their product and IMHO (and I may get flamed for this.....) still cut too many corners in the persuit of that profit!

We (AM Solar) have begun using (about a year ago) 8AWG to connect the solar panels to the combiner box on the roof and then 6AWG and depending on the total array wattage, as large as 4AWG to connect the array to the charge controller.

Again, in a solar charging installation, one of the main considerations is to squeeze every possibly watt from your panels and charge controller, hence the use of bigger wiring. This is also the reason that we recommend the use of AGM batteries and specifically Lifeline AGMs as your battery bank. They have the lowest internal resistance of any commercially available deep cycle battery currently on the market which allows them to re-charge quicker than the others as well. They also exhibit the best construction and heaviest plates within their battery structure. This lower internal resistance also allows the Lifelines to put the elevated charging amperages obtained from the 'boost' feature or our charge controllers to better use in quicker charging of the battery bank.

I'll be conducting a comprehensive seminar on solar charging, basic RV electrical systems and batteries at the Vintage Restoration Rally in Albuquerque starting on 6/9 and hope to be doing an actual solar charging system installation as well. Something anyone seriously considering adding a solar charging system to their trailer or MoHo should try to attend.

And just a quick reminder......YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #145
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Want one for my old 1991

Thanks for the warning.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #146
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
I notice that no one has contributed to this thread for a while but thought I would see if I could get some help. I have a 2008 16' Bambi DWR with the factory installed solar panel. This last trip the battery went dead and the display light started blinking. I have replaced the battery and the display is still blinking. What should I be checking first? Before the battery went dead I remember seeing the percentage condition of the battery but never any reading for solar at all.

Jeff
HootMon-Frau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #147
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Bambi
Los Gatos , California
I forgot to mention that I am pretty hopeless when it comes to electrical stuff. I am hoping that someone will suggest some step-by-steps to follow to find a solution. Thanks.

Jeff
HootMon-Frau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #148
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Below is a photo of where the Solar Panel black and yellow wires connect with the Airstream yellow and green Pre-Wires near the refrigerator. In my case I found these wires connect nearby the furnace and wheel-well.

The yellow and green wires then lead to the battery buss bar in the front of the trailer.

I’m still not sure where I would easily make a connection if I ever wanted to add a portable or flexible solar panel.
Hello,
Most portable systems come with a charge controller and you attach the pos.neg. wires to the correct batt.posts with clips.Works great as long as you are relieved of your panels by interested parties
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Lew: Quick couple of questions: Previously, I've rigged my '77 31-footer with a PV system including a Morning Star charge controller, Inteli-Charge 9200, Go-Power 2500w inverter and an Auto Transfer Switch. Reading some of the specs on the Magnum inverter, it sounds like its got a built-in ATS and battery converter/charger. Is this the case? I'm planning/designing a PV system for my '85 25-footer and would like to fore go extra components if possible. The ATS I used on the '77 had a built in AC power surge protector - does the Magnum inverter have a similar feature built in?

Thanks,

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #150
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
Lew: Quick couple of questions: Previously, I've rigged my '77 31-footer with a PV system including a Morning Star charge controller, Inteli-Charge 9200, Go-Power 2500w inverter and an Auto Transfer Switch. Reading some of the specs on the Magnum inverter, it sounds like its got a built-in ATS and battery converter/charger. Is this the case? I'm planning/designing a PV system for my '85 25-footer and would like to fore go extra components if possible. The ATS I used on the '77 had a built in AC power surge protector - does the Magnum inverter have a similar feature built in?

Thanks,

Art
Hi Art,

Magnum inverters, specifically the 2000 watt varieties, have an integral 100 amp charging section with both voltage sense and temperature compensation. The units are pre-programmed for several different types of batteries, and adjust the charge parameters accordingly.

And yes, there is also an internal transfer switch that energizes your inverter circuits when on shore power and then also energizes these same circuits from battery power when the inverter section is activated.

You will need the ME-RC remote control panel to operate the inverter and to provide the proper programming on installation. IMHO, it's better to use a stand-alone surge protector on a system. If you do experience a power surge and the unit is sacrificed, the only component you need to replace is that surge protector. If it is built-in to another component, a dual function component would have to be replaced at a much higher cost.

Look at the 'Surge Guard' brand for a quality plug-in surge protector.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Hi Art,

Magnum inverters, specifically the 2000 watt varieties, have an integral 100 amp charging section with both voltage sense and temperature compensation. The units are pre-programmed for several different types of batteries, and adjust the charge parameters accordingly.

And yes, there is also an internal transfer switch that energizes your inverter circuits when on shore power and then also energizes these same circuits from battery power when the inverter section is activated.

You will need the ME-RC remote control panel to operate the inverter and to provide the proper programming on installation. IMHO, it's better to use a stand-alone surge protector on a system. If you do experience a power surge and the unit is sacrificed, the only component you need to replace is that surge protector. If it is built-in to another component, a dual function component would have to be replaced at a much higher cost.

Look at the 'Surge Guard' brand for a quality plug-in surge protector.
Lew:

Many thanks for the advice. It would appear that the Magnum 2kw varieties with the remote will do the work of the Univolt or InteliCharger, correct?

I'm planning on running two group 31 Life-Lines for 12vdc storage.

I'll research the Surge Guard to use as a potential "sacrificial component."

Cheers from the Middle East...

Art

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #152
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Going to Max out the Factory System

Well,

I have posted on my thread about my camper my updates to my camper...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...tml#post810903

and I decided to update this thread as well.

I currently have the Factory Installed GO Power 110W system, and I will be purchasing a 125W, and (2) 80W panels to max the system out at the rated watts for the Regulator. Its is rated to regulate 25amps, and I should be right at 22.9 if I am ever lucky enough to get that much direct sunlight on my panel.

The Carmanah Go Power manual says that the 10g factory wires should be fine, and I had my father take some measurements on my roof and the panels should fit perfectly with 110W that already lives up there. Going to be mounting special brackets so I can angle the panels towards the sun and I hope to change the batteries to AGM when I get back from Afghanistan this summer.

Not sure when I will have photos to post, and currently I am going to try and schedule with the Factory to install the other panels, since I live close.

So I will keep people posted. Also, I did just file for my tax credit on my first panel. So I will update people on how that goes....
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #153
1 Rivet Member

I pick up my 1st Airstream next week... looks like it comes with 16' X 4.5 awning-- I noticed in the photo you posted that you have 2 Awnings... Did you but the 2nd Awning NEW or USED? Any advice there or website you'd recommend?

Thanks.... Thomas & Kelly
towagaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstar View Post
My installation included the 110 v panel and the digital controler listed in my post. Cost, around $1700 at JC. The price on the parts was competitive, the labor a little more than some. I felt it was worth it to have the factory do the install over someone that may have never wortked on an Airstream before.

Note, no inverter, so I can't relate to tell you if the $2300 asking price is good or not. I may very well pick up an inverter to power the television in the future but I do have two Honda 2000's for the airconditioner so I am not fully dependent upon the solar. Really doubt that I could be with my set up without being really frugal.

Corky
Hello,
I believe the factory wiring is 10 ga. Many feel that when you upgrade to higher wattage that upgraded wiring is necessary.Using wattage above 110 watts is less efficient with 10 ga.wire.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #155
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGWAGONTWO View Post
I pick up my 1st Airstream next week... looks like it comes with 16' X 4.5 awning-- I noticed in the photo you posted that you have 2 Awnings... Did you but the 2nd Awning NEW or USED? Any advice there or website you'd recommend?

Okay... I know it's a little off topic, but with an avatar name like SHAGWAGONTWO I just gotta ask.... have you checked out the Sex in an Airstream thread? Maybe you'll take time to explain if there was a SHAGWAGONONE - even if it was some other brand.

Lucius
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGWAGONTWO View Post

If you are referring to my photo seen in my Post #10 of this thread, it actually shows the 3 awnings that were included in the Awning Package ordered through my Airstream Dealer and installed by the Airstream Factory at the time of build. (Click on photo twice to see a larger image.)

BTW... Congratulations on your 1st Airstream and Welcome to AirForums!

Bill

SilverGate's Safari is Home at Last!
History Safari Express
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:03 AM   #157
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
New Go Power Solar panels and regulator

Well....after a busy few weeks. I finally sat down and ordered my new panels...I ordered the 120W and 80W expansions panels and was planning on ordering an additional 80W down the road.
To max out my Airstream- which already has the Factory 110W Go Power system- at 395W which will max my current controller ( 25amp max or 395Watts)

So i placed the order and then get an email that Go Power has come out with not only a new controller ( 30amp max or 450Watts)

But also, a new 145W panel....and they will sell it to me at the same price as the 120W, and its the exact same dimensions....

So now I need to decide what I wanna do...if I want the larger panel and be happy with the gains and not max out my current controller with an additional panel...Or If I go ahead with the larger panel, and the other 80W panel and just spend the money on the new controller?

But then I start thinking about the larger controller, and If I spend an additional $112 dollars and get two 95Watt panels instead of the two 80Watt panels, and give them the green light on the 145W instead of the 120W....Then I would have a 445Watt system that in direct sunlight could pull in 25.9amps per hours based off the ratings.....
Big decisions lol Not sure if I am basing my thoughts on needs or wants at this point....but I have come this far and am looking for opinions...that and if the zombies ever come i should be able to live off the grid

To recap....
My original Plan
110W Factory Panel 6.7amps
120W Panel 7.0amps $611.00
80W Panel 4.6amps $435.00 (2)
395Watts / 22.9 Amps $1481.00

new options
145W Panel 8.2amps $611.00
80W Panel 4.6amps $435.00 (2)
New Regulator $123.00
415Watts /24.1 Amps $1604.00

or.....

145W Panel 8.2amps $611.00
95W Panel 5.1amps $491.00 (2)
New Regulator $123.00
445Watts /25.9 amps $1716.00

any ideas or opinions?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
mgm, that's a pretty nice looking 2007 Safari that you're hauling behind that beautiful GMC truck. Although you've obviously worked hard to save for these things, I'm guessing it's not about the money. None of your options are cheap, and the price differential is small between them. Buy what you excites you most, and then pick up a high quality AR-15. There's no sense in being able to live off the grid if the zombies are going to eat you anyway! This is about the adventure, the journey, and the fun that comes with it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #159
mgm
Pursuit of Happiness

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Rootstown , Ohio
Tax Return Ammended- Solar Credit Recieved

Well,

I did a lot of reading and finally went back and ammeneded my 2010 Tax Returns a few months ago and I just got my credit. My original expenses in 2010 were $1808.00 for the purchase and installation of the Panels at Jackson Center, and I received back $542 the 30% the credit is good for on Recreational Vehicles....Not a bad deal at all, and easy to do.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I recently purchased a 2012 30' Flying Cloud with solar package and 600w inverter. I am curious to know if the panels are still 50watt or if there has been an upgrade; there are two on top of the trailer. Also, when I check the SunExplorer display, what should I expect in terms of power from the solar panels? I live in Michigan... The display has shown up to 6.2 amps today (bright sunny day). My batteries have not shown above 12.9 for voltage, which seems borderline.