Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
DIY Honda 2000 recall

Hello. Has anyone done the Honda recall personally or watched the repair done to the point of being able to discribe the procedure and maybe pictures?
Regards nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
The dealer I purchased mine from mailed me the procedure, I'll try to scan it tomorrow at work and post it. In the meantime the inspection and rotation of the clamp is pretty simple. It gets more complicated if you already have a damaged line from the clamp chafing and need to remove and replace a fuel line.
You remove the 4 screws holding the end panel that contains the electrical outlets, etc. This panel will pull forward 1 to 2 inches and you can see the suspect clamp to the left below the fuel tank. You want to see if one ear on the clamp is rubbing against the adjacent fuel line. If the clamp is not you don't need to do anything but put it back together. If it is touching you are supposed to rotate the clamp so that the ears on it pointing toward the panel you removed. Since the electric end panel won't come out too far it is a little tight but with some careful use of a screwdriver and angled needle nose pliers I got it. If the clamp was touching the fuel line next to it you need to inspect that line for chafing damage. Mine only had a couple hours run time so there was no damage. If there is any damage there is also a procedure to replace the line but it involves more disassembly of the generator.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Friends: Thank you for the heads up on the recall. I hadn't heard about it from either my dealer or from Honda so I'll check that out first thing this morning. BTW, this is why I regularly check in with Air Forums.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
DIY Honda 2000 recall procedure

Hi Chrsin. Thank you very much for that bit of information. This is what is so great about these forums. I took the side cover off but didnt know about the front panel. Thanks again
Regards nm1oqrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
The dealer I purchased mine from mailed me the procedure, I'll try to scan it tomorrow at work and post it. In the meantime the inspection and rotation of the clamp is pretty simple. It gets more complicated if you already have a damaged line from the clamp chafing and need to remove and replace a fuel line.
You remove the 4 screws holding the end panel that contains the electrical outlets, etc. This panel will pull forward 1 to 2 inches and you can see the suspect clamp to the left below the fuel tank. You want to see if one ear on the clamp is rubbing against the adjacent fuel line. If the clamp is not you don't need to do anything but put it back together. If it is touching you are supposed to rotate the clamp so that the ears on it pointing toward the panel you removed. Since the electric end panel won't come out too far it is a little tight but with some careful use of a screwdriver and angled needle nose pliers I got it. If the clamp was touching the fuel line next to it you need to inspect that line for chafing damage. Mine only had a couple hours run time so there was no damage. If there is any damage there is also a procedure to replace the line but it involves more disassembly of the generator.
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Honda guy here...

Here's a link to the full bulletin; I'm hosting this as an FYI, not a DIY.

I realize it's not always convenient to take your Honda to dealer for this procedure, even if it is free. But, there's a few reasons why it's important to let a dealer do this and not DIY:

• When a dealer does the recall inspection, the work is logged into the Honda database, so there's a verifiable record the recall has been done. The unit is marked by the dealer as well.
• If you have not already registered your unit, getting the work done at a dealer will do both jobs. This can help streamline any future warranty work. Note that registering a unit is not required to obtain warranty service, but does make it go smoother.
• Another benefit of registering is it gives Honda a way to contact you if there's every an issue in the future. Note Honda will never share your information or use it for sales/marketing.
• Letting the dealer do the job ensures the unit is correctly inspected/repaired, and if/when the day comes you sell the unit, makes for a better transaction when both buyer and seller can know all the required work was officially completed.

Okay, enough talk; here's the link:
http://home.comcast.net/~rscoats/eu2...20Bulletin.pdf

Link to find a dealer:
Honda Power Equipment - Find a dealer
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Good information Robert. Is there a similar recall for the EU1000i?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Good information Robert. Is there a similar recall for the EU1000i?
No. This recall is only for the EU2000i model, and then only those manufactured in the last 18 months.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I did get the letter from Honda, times two since I have the companion set. One had the problem, the other not.

BTW, I did not take them back to Camping World where I bought them. I simply pulled the front back, did the inspection and rotated the suspect clamp on the one that needed it. They haven't been used enough to do any damage to the adjacent hose.

Unfortunatley, I am not impressed with the CW personnel. I have had almost no success in getting good information or service from them. When I go there now it is simply like a trip to Walmart. I go in get what I need, don't expect any advice, and leave.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I did not watch the repair personally on my two 20001's, but was shown where the repair was to be done. It is merely ensuring that a clamp is positioned in such a way that it will not chafe the fuel line. Very straightforward and easy to check. Both of my generators had the clamp positioned correctly by the way.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote