Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Car Generator

Has anyone bought or tried this product? Found it on the Airstream store and it looks interesting.

https://store.airstream.com/product/car-generator/
norristm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Don't think I'll be spending $695 for a mystery box.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
It's just a fancy inverter with a fancy price tag. Inverters can be had for much less than that. Output is usually limited by your battery/charging system, don't expect to run all that stuff at once. Your engine has to stay running or your starting battery will soon be depleted. Extended idling with most engines is not good for them, and charge rate at idle may not be enough depending on your load. You can get idle controllers for most diesel vehicles to raise the idle sufficiently to avoid engine damage, but then you have a roaring, fuel sucking engine to listen to. And the risk of CO poisoning at any RPM.

Inverters have their place and IMHO that is for short term use and emergencies. You would probably be better off with a small gas powered inverter generator, there are some out there costing less than that inverter you linked. Personally I like the Honda inverters, very dependable and you can hold a normal conversation while standing next to one, although the priciest of them all.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
leave the car engine running and lock the car with a spare key

Really??
Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Running a big V-8 engine to supply power? Umm, no. Your batteries will run everything this does...then use portable solar or a small 1000 watt generator to keep them charged up.

No specs on this thing either. Like earlier poster said...a 'mystery box.'

Read up on all the threads here about solar, generators, boondocking...lots of good information to absorb.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
It's not generating anything but heat converting 12 volt dc to 110 volt ac. Good scam, and no stats on output. Total waste of money.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ad copy seems to have been written by a 12 year old that knows nothing about automobile or trailer systems.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Ad copy seems to have been written by a 12 year old that knows nothing about automobile or trailer systems.
Could be worse. At least it seems that English is the person's native language.

When I needed information about my Fiamma awning and looked up their web page, the ad copy on the page read like it was translated from Italian to English by a person whose native language was German!

Anyway, save your money and buy a portable jump-starter. This one does a whole lot more than the so-called "car generator" and costs a whole lot less (but don't use it as a car generator, charge it beforehand and carry it with you): https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DXAEPS...34WV09YNXTS24A

Old 08-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
While I wouldn't pay that much for a 1000W inverter, it could serve a need for certain low use scenarios. For higher duty cycles, or full timing, this wouldn't make sense.

This got me thinking, since I have remote start on my vehicle...

Not that I would do this, but I could see one mounting a high wattage inverter on the trailer. With a high amperage aux pigtail to the tow vehicle. For those less used instances of making coffee/dryer/microwave - easily fire up the vehicle from within the trailer to support the inverter for those durations. Heck, I've certainly idled my car for lesser uses.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
No.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #11
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Somehow a gasoline generator disappearing does not seem as traumatic as having someone drive off in your tow vehicle, especially if it is still hitched to your trailer!

How do you address the issue of extended idling, which is detrimental to many automotive engines?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sure, this is a temp, specific option... even for tent camping where vehicle is close by.

There is significant idling concerns... especially for the new diesels which are edicted to run DEF... 10 minutes idling, the filter stsrts clogging.. at 20 minutes continued idling, the exhaust system is having problems... soon, a "regen" will be required on the Duramax, requiring driving over 45 mph until regen clears the filter.

Just an FYI for you to be aware of... might be good to inform customers...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Nice to see what happens when opinions, " unhampered with facts" are replaced with facts, unhampered with baseless opinions. Interesting!
Pete
S/OS#88
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #14
Icy
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Sarnia , Ontario
$50-$80 thousand dollar generator, running and overheating exhaust system. Also probably polluting more than a small generator. The guy sell these is a absolute genius and probably sells fridges in Alaska. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
$50-$80 thousand dollar generator, running and overheating exhaust system. Also probably polluting more than a small generator. The guy sell these is a absolute genius and probably sells fridges in Alaska. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Fast forward 3 or 4 years from the OP and you have the Ford F-150 V6 twin turbo Hybrid Pro Power Onboard 7.2 kW idling in your driveway…..
Old 12-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
Fast forward 3 or 4 years from the OP and you have the Ford F-150 V6 twin turbo Hybrid Pro Power Onboard 7.2 kW idling in your driveway…..
BooYa...another total waste of a perfectly good driveway.

Bob
🇺🇸