Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Wiring Problem

I just did something stupid. I moved my new 2005 Airstream Safari without disconnecting the electrical cord in my garage. It tore all the wires out of the three prong plug that attaches to the side of the trailer. In trying to take the plug apart so I could rewire it, the pieces feel apart and I can't figure out which wires go to which terminals. Does anyone have a diagram of how to rewire this plug. It is the female end with one short curved slot, one slightly longer curved slot and one slot in the shape of an L. I have a green, white and black wire. Thanks for any help.

Larry
Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71 View Post
I just did something stupid. I moved my new 2005 Airstream Safari without disconnecting the electrical cord in my garage. It tore all the wires out of the three prong plug that attaches to the side of the trailer. In trying to take the plug apart so I could rewire it, the pieces feel apart and I can't figure out which wires go to which terminals. Does anyone have a diagram of how to rewire this plug. It is the female end with one short curved slot, one slightly longer curved slot and one slot in the shape of an L. I have a green, white and black wire. Thanks for any help.

Larry
I am out of town, but hope this will help you.

The green wire goes to the L terminal, which is ground.

The white wire is a common wire.

The black is the hot wire.

Best way to make super sure, is purchase a polarity tester at Home Depot. They are cheap. Then connect the white and black wires as you wish.

Next check the polarity at an outlet in the trailer. It will either right or wrong.

If it's right, good.

If it's wrong, then reverse the white and black wires.

You should always use the polarity tester when you travel and plug into city power wherever you may be.

We would like to think that all power sources are correct, but they are not.

The polarity tester will always give you a heads up.

Reversed polarity sources simply means that if your standing on the ground, especially if it's wet, and then touch the trailer shell, you will get an electric shock.

Shocks are OK, for the axles, but not for the human body.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Stupid, Ha

You think thats bad, I was turning around in our yard and we have some thick wild grape vine growing over some trees. I needed to back up just a couple of more feet so thinking is was just some vines I backed up just a bit more (I'm still sick about it!) and put a nice dent in the upper left panel, there was a broken limb just under the vines. I named that dent dumb-#ss!
James
Old 11-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
You think thats bad, I was turning around in our yard and we have some thick wild grape vine growing over some trees. I needed to back up just a couple of more feet so thinking is was just some vines I backed up just a bit more (I'm still sick about it!) and put a nice dent in the upper left panel, there was a broken limb just under the vines. I named that dent dumb-#ss!
James
Replacing the upper segements on your 1970, are not that expensive.

They run about $1200.-- or so each, plus perhaps some freight.

Contact your insurance company.

They pay for "sudden, accidental and direct" losses, less your deductible.

Their definitions in this case is called "negligence," which is a nasty word that simply means, as a human being, your screwed up.

So? So what? Thats why you have insurance.

However, have the repairs done using "olympic rivets".

If you insist on buck rivets, most of the bathroom furniture and headliner would have to be removed, which is not good in itself, but you may then also be flirting with a constructive "total loss."

Bob Jones, in south Houston, would do a good job for you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Andy, they did total it, I could have given them the trailer and taken 5500 (because I didn't up the value of the trailer with insurance company after putting I don't know how much $$$ into it, more human error). So I kept it and took 3200 and will keep the dents and use the money for other repairs. I was thinking of buying the segments and doing it myself but yikes, that is major damage if I mess that up to.
James
Old 11-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Normally electrical receptacles, plugs and wires are color coded.

Within the wire Black is power White is common and Green is ground.

Within the receptacles/plugs green is ground, also in the plug as Andy mentioned the L shaped lug id ground, the Gold lug is power, the Silver lug is common.

I would also remove the receptacle from the side of the trailer and make sure things are OK on the inside of the trailer and inside the receptacle itself.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Andy and Howie - thanks for your advice. I finally got the plug back together and it is working fine now.

Larry