Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cape Coral , Florida
sometimes works,sometimes doesn't!

A new experience last week with my reading ligts over the bed and the shower ceiling fan. They appear to be wired on the same circuit because they cancel each other when used at the same time:

If I turn on one reading light (mounted above the bed), while the shower fan is on . . . they both go off and will not turn back on for some time (like over night). . . then they work again but only one or the other, if I try to turn them all on they blow again and will not work for hours until they aparently fix them selves.

I thought there might be a reset switch somewhere but they seem to reset themselves without any action on my part. I just takes a few hours for them to work again after the blow fro using them together.

What could this be??

Thanks for your help.

Craig
cmreumund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Sounds like they are wired to an auto reset circuit breaker. That long to reset is strange tho. I would check your fuse panel for a CB, and change it out after determining that it controls the light and fan.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Sound like the circuit breaker is weak. Locate which breaker is the problem and swap the wire on it with another breaker of the same current rating. If the lights work on the new circuit breaker the original breaker is bad. Another indication of the original breaker being bad would be if the lights you moved to the questionable breaker now give you a problem.

If the breaker are not clearly marked as to what they control to locate the questionable breaker turn the bed light. Now remove the wire from the output side of each breaker till the light goes out. Once you have define the breaker that controls the bed light do the swap with another breaker of the same current rating.

Depending on how tight the work space is around the breaker you may have to remove the ground wire off the batteries while working in the circuit panel to reduce the possibility of shorting the batteries.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cape Coral , Florida
But if it were a circuit breaker, I would have to reset it before the lights would work again, right?

Do 2007 Airstreams have auto reset circuit breakers somewhere?

Craig
cmreumund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...you perchance wouldn't have a telephone attached to the top of a telephone pole to go along with that! ...just kidding ...but reminds me of Green Acres ....
Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmreumund View Post
But if it were a circuit breaker, I would have to reset it before the lights would work again, right?

Craig
It could be a self-resetting breaker. But it sounds more like a bad connection. I've seen this with cars, where everything works until you hit the starter, then nothing works for 10-15 minutes, or longer.
I'd check the battery connections, wiggle the fuses, and check grounds.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:

Craig
I had a bank of circuit breakers on a houseboat. They trip when they get hot from overload, and don't reset themselves until they cool. After a few of these cycles, they may trip easier, and should be replaced.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I agree. I would check the ground. The reading lights are often attached to the upper front panel which is fiberglass not aluminum. If it is not properly grounded, it could cause your problem.
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Craig
The breakers will be in the electrical distribution panel. Trailers use auto type circuit breakers. If a breaker pops it will generally rest in about 1 min.

Your problem sounds like it is current driven that is why I suggested checking the breaker first.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote