Old 05-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Hi 2air,
That is the light in question. Is that your Interstate?
My light on my Interstate has a base fastened to the skin of the Sprinter with 4 screws and a cover/lens held to the base with 2 screws which are SS. I think I will try the O-ring trick followed by the weep hole trick then move on to more pressing matters.

Thanks for your ideas!
WS in AK

- wayne
2010 Interstate 3500 Twin Bed
(2008 Freightliner CRD Sprinter)
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #16
. , .
here's the problem IN THIS THREAD...

there are 3 DIFFERENT types of lights discussed with 3 totally different designs.

1. the OP has LED clearance lights and the LENS is SEALED, even though it pops out of the base.

and the SPONGEY gasket referenced is UNDER THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY base, not under the lens.

2. older units used incandescent bulbs that are SERVICEABLE by removing the lens COVER.

that light has a PERIMETER gasket between the lens/base that's a semi firm foam stuff.

those older styles are the focus of the O ring fix (which i found didn't help much)

and that's TOTALLY USELESS on the newer LED clearance lights.

3. your patio light (part number 512288) is YET another design.

so do whatever might work.

4. the 4th light covered in this thread is bob's tail lights,

n that's got nothing to do with nothing here....

best'o luck with what ever light is shinning and full of water...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Hey guys.... as long as you folks are talking A/S lights, I have a question.

What is that big gray glob?

Okay, I had to replace taillights on my trailer. Behind the led light board a large hole exists.. this is where the wires come through. Filling that hole is a big gray glob of rubbery stuff... it's like a putty. As it turned out, I found it necessary to remove the glob (long story... short wires). I managed to get the glob to stay in for now, but I would like to replace it.

What do I need to buy??

Thank you,

Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

4. the 4th light covered in this thread is bob's tail lights,

n that's got nothing to do with nothing here....

Hi, this is subject to interpretation!

(1.) Running lights, to some people, means bright lights on the front of the vehicle that come on when you start your car/truck.

(2.) Running lights to other people means tail and parking lights. [front and rear] [only rear on a trailer]

(3.) And finally, running lights to some are all of the red or amber lights surrounding a vehicle; Better known as clearance lamps.

So when the original poster said "running lights" [on a trailer] to me that means discription # (2.) above.

Also, 2air is just trying to ruffle my feathers.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
. , .
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
...What is that big gray glob?...
hi dan

the big gray glob is S'221 the frosting a/s uses by the case to glue these things 2gether....

ZOOM the 2nd pic in post #7 here, and it's seen on the wall INSIDES...

available from the factory store, some big box stores and online a lotta places.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:51 PM   #20
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
lens removal

How do you remove the clearance light lens?
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Kernersville , North Carolina
sealed running light

Originally Posted by Airstream01 View Post
Does anyone know for sure how to remove the colored lenses on late model LED running lights. a couple of mine have a little moisture condensed on the inside and I'd like to dry them out. It looks like they might just pop off the base, but I don't want to break anything.

That light is a sealed light that comes in two parts. The base and the sealed LED top (sLEDt). If water get in there it is because it has a broken seal. I'm guessing one could drill a hole in the back of the LED top (sLEDt) to get the moisture out and then reseal it. Most of the time the moisture get in there via the place were the wires go into the (sLEDt).

Getting it off------There are two generations of this light. The first one had plastic L-shaped tabs (see 2airishuman picture in this thread)and the 2nd generation had metal clips that would allow you to pop it on and off. Both generations ( G1 & G2) will interface with each other. In other words if you have G1 on your unit and you buy a replacement in G2 ( all you can get now) if will work on your base so that you will not have to take your base off of your unit.
When the G1's L-shaped tabs break, the light can be glued back to the base but if you have to do more repairs later on the whole light and base will have to be replaced if you use a permanent glue. I have seen where a small amount of silicon worked fine as one of the tabs was still on there. Some of the repair centers who get this light from me, use the silicon on the G2 from the start. On a flat surface the light base works well but a little tweak from the round body of the Airstream may not allow a good firm snap.

The gasket that 2airishuman talked about was to keep the plastic light base from scratching the finish and allowing the corrosion to get under the finish of the Airstream. It may well keep out water. Time will tell.

Getting the G1 (sLEDt) off without breaking the plastic tab can be done because 2airishuman did it in his picture. If you try it and it breaks you will be gluing it back on.

Dan Brown
High Point NC
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote